Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Default SSAO & VSYNC what does it actually do?

What does turning this off actually do?, im either blind or i cant see much difference..

Also i have a 1220x1200 monitor 60hz with a 6950 2gig card so im guessing Vysnc SHOULD NOT be checked? anmd triple buffering in catalyst SHOULD be checked?

I just want to make sure im running this game as best i can with as much Eye candy on as possible..

Anything below 30FPS isnt good for my eyes when panning around looking at the ground, there is only so much of that i can do before it just gets tiring...but then i want to see trees, roads etc etc..thats why i play this game cuz it 'looks' good or 'can' look good

These are my settings, spec is in Sig...anything out of place?

Or more importantly is there something that should be 'downgraded' as it makes no difference in game 'currently'? to improve FPS

thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

SSAO is some sort of subtle shading of this and that that kills my frame rate.

V-synch prevents screen tearing when using track IR for me but again reduces frame rate.

With my spec I have no choice but to switch them both off.
And AA and epi, come to that.

I thought triple buffering only affected open GL though.

I'd've thought that vertical refresh to 'off unless application specifies' in ccc and switching vsynch on in-game would be best to try.

Last edited by ATAG_Dutch; 06-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Approved Member

Vsync makes sure VGA gives no more frames to display than it can show, and syncs showing of frame with display refresh, so that you won't see 2 frames at once. Vsync removes tearing.

SSAO is ambient occlusion. It simulates light attenuation due to occlusion. AO gives so called soft shadows and makes image more real life, however usually effect is very subtle and hardly noticeable, unless you know where to look. It easily can eat 30% of FPS, so it is better to disable it in flight sim.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaltysZ View Post
Vsync makes sure VGA gives no more frames to display than it can show, and syncs showing of frame with display refresh, so that you won't see 2 frames at once. Vsync removes tearing.

SSAO is ambient occlusion. It simulates light attenuation due to occlusion. AO gives so called soft shadows and makes image more real life, however usually effect is very subtle and hardly noticeable, unless you know where to look. It easily can eat 30% of FPS, so it is better to disable it in flight sim.
Thanks mate..

So you would say its better to have SSAO unchecked and VSYNC checked in my setup...

I think as i dont have Vsync enabled up till now its causing the tearing when panning with Tir5 which is causing me problems..just hurts the eyes after a while (when looking at ground only obviously) so turning this On will help that and turning SSAO OFF will compensate for the FPS hit...

So what about triple buffering in the Catalyst options? Is it better to have that checked with Vsync ON or not?

~S~
Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post

So what about triple buffering in the Catalyst options? Is it better to have that checked with Vsync ON or not?

~S~
In Catalist you have triple buffering only in OpenGL section which is useless in CoD which is D3D.

For D3D you need to use ATI Tray Tools:
ATI Tray Tools >> Game profiles >> Manage profiles >> Direct3D Tweaks (create and save new Game profile for launcher.exe ).

More info on triple buffering (including a solution for nVidia users): http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

Last edited by Ataros; 07-26-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Approved Member

Your PC is very similar to mine, and I see you've settled on almost exactly the same graphics settings. Cool.

Yes, turning vertical sync on should solve the tearing. Tearing happens when your system is trying to produce more than 60 frames/second on a 60hz monitor. A couple times I experienced a bug where my framerate was capped at 30... but simply restarting everything fixed that.

I'm curious about your selection of 4x anti-aliasing. Does this option actually reduce any of the jaggy lines for you? My anti-aliasing has never worked at all, but I've read some other people report it works for them... They were all using very different systems, though.

For whatever it's worth, I think SSAO does make the eye candy a little bit prettier. I can leave it on and still get playable framerates most of the time. If I know I'll be over London with lots of aircraft I'll turn that one off, shadows off, and maybe turn a couple other settings down.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Owl View Post
Your PC is very similar to mine, and I see you've settled on almost exactly the same graphics settings. Cool.

Yes, turning vertical sync on should solve the tearing. Tearing happens when your system is trying to produce more than 60 frames/second on a 60hz monitor. A couple times I experienced a bug where my framerate was capped at 30... but simply restarting everything fixed that.

I'm curious about your selection of 4x anti-aliasing. Does this option actually reduce any of the jaggy lines for you? My anti-aliasing has never worked at all, but I've read some other people report it works for them... They were all using very different systems, though.

For whatever it's worth, I think SSAO does make the eye candy a little bit prettier. I can leave it on and still get playable framerates most of the time. If I know I'll be over London with lots of aircraft I'll turn that one off, shadows off, and maybe turn a couple other settings down.
THe anti-aliasing is also a frame rate killer
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
THe anti-aliasing is also a frame rate killer
I have a few frames/second to spare, and as noted above I'm willing to turn other settings down if somebody can tell me how to get AA working. Please.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Approved Member

In order for Vsync to keep everything synchronized, when it doesn't get 60 fps from the computer, it falls off to 30 fps because otherwise there would be tearing. Think about it, you can't have say 45 fps on a 60 fps monitor, there would be partial frames along the way...60/30=2 and 60/45=4/3=1.33

If the computer cannot get 30 fps, say it gets 29, then vsync will make it fall to 15 fps because 60/15=4, a whole number for whole frames.

So use it knowingly.

Louisv
Crucial M4 256GB SSD, WD Raptor 600 GB hard disk
EVGA GTX580 graphics card
HP ZR24W Monitor 1900 X 1200 24"
Thrustmaster Warthog joystick
Saitek Combat rudder pedals
TrackIr 5
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

This is only true for vsync with double buffering. Triple Buffering solves that, and is a driver default for nvidia since many years.

There is a rather old but still good article about vsync, double and triple buffering on the german site 3dcenter