Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Approved Member

Question Lean Mixture

I want to discuss about this one.
I've flown fighters almost exclusively so far, and, based on my crude, limited experience, I won't cry out "Bug!", but I think some chat about mixture would surely be warranted.

So, has anyone found some plane/alt/throttle setting where lean mixture is actually flyable (that is, with the engine running smoothly and probably fuel-saving)? I've yet to encounter such a situation. Surely, Messerschmitt's mixture is set automatically, so something could go on there behind the curtain, but I've definately not been able to use lean mixture successfully with RAF fighters.
And, as stated, I'm not into bombers yet.

Has someone made better/different experiences? Or should it even be that way?

P.S.: General rants a la "the whole FM is corrupted" are of little help here only
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Approved Member

RAF fighters (and Blenheim) mixtures are Auto Lean and Auto Rich. No other adjustment required. Once selected you are running in either an automatic altitude compensated LEAN or RICH mixture thats all there is to it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

I notice it changes the colour from red/orange to Blueish when adjusted in the british fighters..cant say ive noticed anything else with that setting
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
RAF fighters (and Blenheim) mixtures are Auto Lean and Auto Rich. No other adjustment required. Once selected you should be running in either an automatic altitude compensated LEAN or RICH mixture that's all there is to it.
FTFY

At present (latest patch, tested just now), switching to lean mixture at high altitude makes the engine run rough to the point that the prop governor on a Spitfire IIa won't hold rpm properly. It doesn't break the engine, but it's clearly unhappy.

OTOH, at least I was able to climb to FL200 "full switch" without breaking anything, so that's progress.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
RAF fighters (and Blenheim) mixtures are Auto Lean and Auto Rich. No other adjustment required. Once selected you are running in either an automatic altitude compensated LEAN or RICH mixture thats all there is to it.
sorry if I've expressed myself wrongly, but that wasn't the point of my question(s). Viper's got the point, though (I think).

So it seems that for the RAF, there are close to zero useful 'lean mixtures'. What about the Luftwaffe? Does anyone know or does anybody fly a lean mix at altitude; i.e. a non-forced one?

edit: Oh, @ze-jamz: When you were adjusting your mix to blue-ish exhaust flames, did that make your engine/plane shake or vibrate? Which plane did you fly anyways?

Last edited by Redroach; 05-28-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Approved Member

It seams to work well in the Spitfire IIa, following the manual settings for maximum range.

Air Speed 160 mph IAS, Mixture weak.

I found I was setting the govenor to about 2400RPM and then using the throtle to maintain about 2200- 2300rpm. I was trying to keep my manifold pressure as low as possible.

When I tried in a MK1a I found that my rpm was bouncing around a lot under 2400rpm and I found it difficult to maintain airspeed.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 AM
Approved Member

You mean your mix actually works in the spit ? I fly the spit 1a and on start it will fire up on either lean or rich, but runs better ie revs pick up on lean !
When actually flying I use lean at all times as it will never run right on rich.
By lean i mean lever forward,
I just thought it was a bug.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoarmongar View Post
You mean your mix actually works in the spit ? I fly the spit 1a and on start it will fire up on either lean or rich, but runs better ie revs pick up on lean !
When actually flying I use lean at all times as it will never run right on rich.
By lean i mean lever forward,
I just thought it was a bug.
When flying the Spitfire IIa under the conditions stated above it seams to work ok for me. Running the MkIa under similar conditions has issues.

One thing I just noticed testing (just now) is the interlocking device doesn't seam to work in the IIA? I'm sure it did before.

Cheers!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

Hi Redroach,

Thanks for that interesting thread, I'm sure we'll find interesting answers in here.

So nothing wrong with being ignorant, you may find that in nearly all of my threads, I then had time to discuss & make measurements & investigates on the topic. It's all right naturally.

Last edited by jf1981; 05-28-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

well, I HAVE the manual right here, you know? So, conditions for lean mixture flight are known to me, at least for the fighters. And that's where the confusion starts: It doesn't seem to be that way ingame. No issue here due to lack of reading, sorry. Or maybe there is? If you would be so kind, please point me to a thread where FM issues (not lack of knowledge when it SHOULD be lean mixture - I'm aware of that). about Mixture are explained.
I'd still suggest you do some reading before throwing yourself into the fray.
If you've posted RL-Gliding ratio for the He111, compared with your test results, we could have had an enlightening discussion back then, instead of me being crazy about you cooking up issues which could probably upset the develeopers (Merlin g-cutouts and the likes come to my mind...).
Besides that, I've even found the subforum, so nothing new here for you to exploit, I'm afraid.

P.S.: You lay in wait for that, didn't you? Cool!

Back OT:
To reformulate my issue into another question:
Do I actually have to assign keybindings for setting mixture? Or could I get along without even bothering in CoD?