Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Default Yak bugs/inconsistencies?

Hi guys.

I want to report a couple of problems with Yak planes, which I suspect might exist since the very first version of the Il-2 sim.

I don't know whether someone would be able/willing to fix them, but nevertheless, I think, they are worth to report, because I've found no mentions of them on the Web, so may be there is a slight chance that no one spotted them before me?

The biggest problem of these is the discrepancy between the cockpit model and external model in Yak-1, Yak-7. In the cockpit model one can see, that there is a high seat which extends up to pilot's head

http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=...f9b93f786f2936

And in the external view one can see an armored glass (sorry, if this is an incorrect term for this thing in English) right behind pilot's head

http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=...84e09898c92fe0

The other problems are not so outstanding and probably are much harder to fix:

1. there is no fuel gauges in Yak-1, Yak-7, Yak-9, which originally were present on the wings.

2. the area with fuel gauges is not visible from the cockpit, event with head's leaning etc, (though may be it required to open the canopy, because I was not able to draw a straight line between eyes and the area of the gauges).

3 there is no special sticks in the wings, which were raised if the gear was down.

a picture to show these sticks and gauges:

http://saveimg.ru/show-image.php?id=...441b9c8bd9bc8d

So thank you for your attention, may be someone will be able to address these problems.

Last edited by crassus; 10-17-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: BB code has been removed, because it was not parsed and screen shots were not present
Old 10-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassus View Post
1. there is no fuel gauges in Yak-1, Yak-7, Yak-9, which originally were present on the wings.
IL2 doesn't have any good way to model gauges outside of the cockpit, since what you're seeing from the cockpit is the plane's external model and skin. This is a problem not just on the Yak series, but also for the Bf-110.

The only way I can think of to fix this problem is to have some sort of "inset view" or "split screen view" which shows the external gauges in a separate window while you're in the cockpit.

It would be similar to the existing map view, or a radar screen view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassus View Post
3 there is no special sticks in the wings, which were raised if the gear was down.
This simple substitute for landing gear indicator lights was not uncommon on WW2 era aircraft - in addition to the Yak series, it's also found on some P-40s, and the A6M Zero.

It would be very easy to model as part of the landing gear animation - it's nothing more than a thin rod that sticks straight up from some part of the wing, extending as the gear is lowered, and retracting as the gear comes up.

But, it would be time consuming to go back and model this obscure little system. I'm not sure if TD wants to create models that detailed.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
I'm not sure if TD wants to create models that detailed.
Basically, I think the same. And the most important issue here imho is the one with the armored glass in the external view and the high seat with the headrest in the cockpit view. Because this is not some realism or historical problem, this is the contradiction in the game itself.

I've edited my original message, so that links to screen shots were visible.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

This is the "problem" with the Yak series being one of the first outside of the IL-2 to be modelled. They weren't done to the same standards that the planes that came later in the series were done.

They are legitimate issues but unlikely to be resolved. The Yak-1 in IL-2:BoS has none of these issues and you can lean over and have a look at whats left in the fuel gauges on the wings there.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
IL2 doesn't have any good way to model gauges outside of the cockpit, since what you're seeing from the cockpit is the plane's external model and skin. This is a problem not just on the Yak series, but also for the Bf-110.
I guess you did not really fly the Hs-129?
Old 10-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaunt1 View Post
I guess you did not really fly the Hs-129?
You're absolutely right. I'd forgotten that the Hs-129 models engine-mounted gauges, and they look pretty good. I also checked the Bf-110G and its got the same trick for displaying the engine-mounted gauges.

That means that it wouldn't be that hard to rework the Yak series cockpits to show the fuel gauges.

But, my original point still stands - the gauges on the engines of the Hs-129 and Bf-110G only appear in the cockpit view - not external view. Their apparent position on the engines is just a trick of how they're placed in cockpit view.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I'd forgotten that the Hs-129 models engine-mounted gauges, and they look pretty good. I also checked the Bf-110G and its got the same trick for displaying the engine-mounted gauges.

That means that it wouldn't be that hard to rework the Yak series cockpits to show the fuel gauges.

But, my original point still stands - the gauges on the engines of the Hs-129 and Bf-110G only appear in the cockpit view - not external view. Their apparent position on the engines is just a trick of how they're placed in cockpit view.
Yep. The 110G-2 was the first example of doing that. The trick at that point was we didn't have 6DOF cockpits so there was still no ability to lean over and see the Yak fuel gauge. That was added more recently.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I'd like to see Yak fuel tank gauges in the correct position. But more than that I'd like to see Yak fuel tank gauges. Kinda feel stupid when flying around and waiting for the "AWW, now there is not enough fuel to fly home anymore" light. Or taking home a nearly full fuel tank, who knows?
Old 10-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
since what you're seeing from the cockpit is the plane's external model and skin.
Um... Not entirely. The cockpit model can certainly include parts of the external of the plane. Otherwise clipping and occlusion of the polygons of the external LOD would become a huge issue.