Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Approved Member

Question TrackIR zoom feature(?)

I can not get this to work within Il-2 itself but have seen videos of people using it ingame. How do I make it work?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Approved Member

This is your lucky day.

The first thing you have to understand about Track IR is that it is a gimmick and completely unnecessary to enjoy IL2 or fly it at the highest level.

As you have found it is an extra piece of hardware that has been marketed to you, it is a fashion trend, and it is one more thing that can go wrong.

Since IL2 came out I have been flying it with a Microsoft Precision 2 stick and a set of headphones with integral microphone as the only pieces of special hardware. With the hat-switch and base buttons on this specific stick it is easy to turn your virtual head to any view needed to fly "full-real" combat vs. anyone with track IR and while they are fumbling around with their adjustments and it's glitches you are blowing their wings off.

I have owned track IR in the past, tried it and gave mine away for the cost of shipping it. I know other very good pilots who swear by the hat switch also.

When you fly the IL2 flight simulator it certainly helps if you keep your head pointed at you computer monitor, which is the first thing that track IR tells you to do, turn your head away from the monitor so you can see what is happening on it, doesn't make sense does it?

Here are dozens of tracks of me flying on realistic settings with no track IR, seeing everything that is going on and zooming in and out with the views easily, good luck:

Last edited by Jumoschwanz; 11-14-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I can not get this to work within Il-2 itself but have seen videos of people using it ingame. How do I make it work?
Don't know that it (track IR) does in IL-2, have gunsight view mapped to one of the buttons on the HOTAS to replicate this.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Head-tracking changes the position and the direction of your view. It's equivalent to your hand holding a camera.
Zooming changes the field of view of your view, in much the same way as the zoom function of a camera does. It's equivalent to the adjustable lense of your camera.
The first simulates the movement of your eyes, the latter simulates the magnifying effect. They have nothing to do with each other.
Answer: no proper zooming is possible through head-tracking.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've found the Ultrapack patch actually allows you to incorporate the zoom feature.

Nice flying Jumo, unfortunately my talents are nowhere near as good as yours and I need all the help I can get!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Nice flying Jumo, unfortunately my talents are nowhere near as good as yours and I need all the help I can get!

The point is that you are worse off with Track IR. Using a hat-switch that automatically centers your forward view when you are not touching it is very simple and very reliable. Track IR is more complicated to use and set-up and it is just one more thing that can go wrong.
When you are learning anything in life you want to make it as simple as possible, that is why with IL2 I don't fly Mods or use Track IR, it is just me and the computer and one stick. Nothing to worry about and nothing to go wrong. In a fight I don't have to use anything but the stick and the base buttons, I only have to touch the keyboard for take-off, landing or some ground attack. My only use of the mouse is to work the gunner seats in bombers.