Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: Am I wrong?
Si! Ti amo Regia Aeronautica!! 33 84.62%
No! All we want is Spits n Hurris v Emils n Heinkels NOW 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Approved Member

Default Call me weird but . . .

WARNING: RANT BELOW

Just looked at the Oleg post and have to admit the idea of flying antiquated Italian aircraft in the Battle of Britain just doesnt do it for me!

Nor for that matter do I want to fly clapped out Defiants, Blenheims or Gladiators.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be buying it as soon as it hits the shelves, but I just wish 1C wouldnt waste so much time on modelling the obscure and uninteresting B actors in the conflict, instead of focusing on the core aircraft and game. I mean, this quote just about sums up the Italian air force contribution to the conflict:

"The bomber effort of the CAI ended as it started, with a touch of farce when a single BR.20M flown by the CO of 240a Squadriglia took off to bomb London. Almost inevitably the crew became lost and bailed out near Abbeville."

Maybe if the devs weren't spending so much time on Regia Aeronautica CR42s, BR20s and Cant Z's (no doubt in all the relevant variants) the thing would be finished by now and we would all be zooming through the Dover skies in our Emils and Spits.

I mean hell, if there is a such a market out there of weirdo simmers who like flying obscure and pointless aircraft, release it as an add-on and keep all 5 of them happy!

END OF RANT
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Approved Member

And I say, bring in the crapplanes. All of them. Its such a pity that if one wants to make money, one needs to waste time on planes like P-51, Spitfire, Bf-109...planes that can be flown in every single damn game ever made about WW2. Its almost as boring as playing Omaha Beach in all the recent WW2 fps games

Dont you think one of the main causes behind the unmatched popularity of Il-2 series was that it offered more than just the usual deadly overdone P-51vsBf 109 action ? Im glad 1C is Russian, this way not only the major powers of the WW2 got into the game, and Im sure its more like 5 simmers that feel the same way
Old 11-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

hmmm, you know i always do get the italian and hungarian flags confused!

just joking signore, but really, do you seriously think people bought IL2 to fly the TB-3? the IL2 itself was the drawcard, and it was the novelty of the conflict itself that the game modelled that drew people in (air war on the eastern front) not the fact they could fly a Soviet biplane against an Me 109. How much of that do you see on the online servers?

as people got bored with the central elements of the game they experimented with the weirdo aircraft, which helps longevity but is not the reason people bought the game in the first place (maybe we should do another poll...).

and the franchise has succeeded to live so long exactly because it went mainstream and modelled Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, Zeroes, Avengers etc not because it gave us the PZL P.11 and Polikarpov I-16!

my goodness we are still waiting for a Spitfire 1a/b for an IL2 game, so that in itself will be a novelty for SOW.

and yes, the Battle has been done before, in its conventional form, a number of times, most recently in the fantastic Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory from Shockwave.

but that doesnt make it any less engaging to strap on a Spitfire 1b and fly into a massed formation of Heinkels, 109e's and 110's and duke it out. and you just know Oleg is going to do it better than anyone else has ever done it before so it will be worth it.

if he ever stops piddling around with the positioning of the struts on the Feisler Storch (a critical player in the Battle of Britain) and gets back to the Spits, Hurris and Emils...

Of course, I may be out of line.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

They say ignorance is bliss

I don't agree, I think stupid is as stupid does
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotter
hmmm, you know i always do get the italian and hungarian flags confused!

Tell me about it
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

I agree with Jutocsa on this one! Without the 'crap'-planes this sim would have been way to similar to other games in the market. Personally I would wish that the guys who create online maps would limit the planeset even more, so that there would be more varity in online gaming. It's so much fun to fight with the P.11, Galdiator, I16, Ki-27 or Cr.42.
I think that is one of the strongest points of this game.

I can wait half a year or more for BOB, but I'm really getting anxious to see the Solvakia map.

Skarphol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123-Wulf-123
They say ignorance is bliss

I don't agree, I think stupid is as stupid does
Sorry, I thought it might be possible to have an opinion here without getting called stupid. I'm not trolling.

And I didn't actually use the word 'crap' anywhere.

Can we avoid being personal so that this thread doesnt get shut down and removed?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Approved Member

I still think many Poles bought it for the P.11c, Finns for their many crapplanes, me for the Balaton map, Rumanians for the IARs. And even if the majority bought it only for the common planes, not having anything else but the mainstream might have just killed Il-2. Marginal planes maybe arent the main food itself, but would you go to a restaurant where they dont use spices ?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

THIS IS MY FIRST POST EVER ON THIS FORUM I THINK HE IS COMPLETELY WRONG BUT I ALSO THINK HE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION WITHOUT BEING CALLED STUPID

BUT MAYBE IM STUPID?

ANYWAY, GLADIATORS RULE DUDE - NOW, BACK TO MED AIR WAR!!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Approved Member

And you are entitled to gently press that Caps Lock again