Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Approved Member

Question Negative G causes FPS to rise substantialy

Today i was flying quick mission Bomber intercept Hawkinge and i have noticed a strange phenomenon that when i push my stick to neg G so that my engine start loosing rpm my FPS will increase from around 25 to 60 and i was wondering how is this even possible.
There were 8 Ju-87s and 6 Hurris in that mission. I used fraps benchmarking tool to create FPS graph. Take a look every single spike on that graph is cause by me pushing stick forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FPS.jpg (194.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

did what you were looking at change?
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Palker_4: ...i have noticed a strange phenomenon that when i push my stick to neg G so that my engine start loosing rpm my FPS will increase from around 25 to 60 and i was wondering how is this even possible.

Push my stick ...so that my engine starts loosing rpm...

Could you expand on that, usually if I push the stick, it does not have the effect of lowering the RPM...

Last edited by louisv; 04-28-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Approved Member

I wonder if this has to do with the engine exhaust fire effects - In the first release, when player gets close to the bombers, the fps will drop immensely, apparently it was because of effect was on for all aircrafts.

In the later patch, the effect was only enabled for the player. I'm guessing that when the engine gets cut out, that effect is not rendered.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post
I wonder if this has to do with the engine exhaust fire effects - In the first release, when player gets close to the bombers, the fps will drop immensely, apparently it was because of effect was on for all aircrafts.

In the later patch, the effect was only enabled for the player. I'm guessing that when the engine gets cut out, that effect is not rendered.
That could a reason i will try to turn of my engine in flight to see what will happen
Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Its definitely the exhaust effects i turned of my engine and FPS ad least doubled.
Is there any way to disable this effect without going for effects : Low?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

BINGO! We may found one of flaws in specific effects that caused heavy FPS hit. We should report this to developer team and have them looking into improving this effects.

Chaoic out...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:26 AM
machoo

Good work fellas
Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Approved Member

I get the feeling you can't optimize this much, the light from each individual flame is simulated on the surface of the aircraft, this takes up resources. Turn it off if its causing you issues.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 AM
Approved Member

I have not this huge increase in FPS.

I guess my high end card have power enough to render this effects without problems.

But if you guys have problems with this in your cards you can try disable dynamic lights :

Go to your conf.ini and set DynamicalLights=0

Edit:

Dont forget that you had to turn off Steam Cloud.

Last edited by Buchon; 04-30-2011 at 07:47 AM.