Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Formula88

Default Enemy AI is...retarded

Besides the ridiculous roll rate I've seen some aircraft pulling, especially the 110's (a big twin engine can outroll a hurricane?), what are they thinking?
They constantly make erratic manuevers and always lose altitude when trying to evade. Every fight ends up on the deck because these idiots would rather barrel roll into the ocean than even try to knife fight. Then when you get to the deck they climb just enough to erattically fly left and right and roll over down to the deck again.

Can anyone hit anything besides bombers in this sim?? The constant flip flopping of the AI makes it damn near impossible to hit them, I just spent god knows how may minutes on the tail of one bf-110 and ran out of ammo without a kill. 8%, thats how many rounds landed out of 2400... I'm better than that, 1946 proved it. Maybe the guys in charge of AI in this completely forgot the lessons learned from the original games? Perhaps watching some gun camera footage from the era would give them a better idea of how an enemy evades an attacker in the air.

On another note, I never get shot down and rarely even shot at since the AI is so concerned about flopping about the sky they never actually try to engage with any kind of skill. Yuck... If 1946 didnt look like a cartoon after seeing this I woudnt hesitate to go back at this point.

Last edited by Formula88; 04-19-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Approved Member

I HAVE gone back to 1946 and plan to stay there until they have fixed the terrible AI in this game. I am experiencing everything you are going through and I find it a total game-breaker.

When the AI isn't pulling impossible mindless stunts (all while not losing airspeed, mind you), climbing at insane rates without burning out their engines, or pulling out of impossibly bad spins, they are completely benign. I rarely get shot at, and sometimes when I do the AI just decides to stop attacking. Even more hilarious, many times the AI acts like I'm not even there, and I'll pump a billion rounds into a plane that flies perfectly straight.

It's like they're either pulling F-16 maneuvers (literally) or completely oblivious to your existence. It's the most boring and infuriating experience I've had in a game with AI ... no joke. Prettiness or not, I'd much rather fly in IL2 1946 where I get a rewarding experience.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM
BigPickle

or they collide with each other or your own ai will just try to take off through you lol
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Yeah the AI has collided with me several times, and with eachother countless times by now.

I forgot that they also have the retarded habit of crashing themselves when you have to ditch your plane. Unlike in 1946, they are too stupid to know that the ground is not good for their airplane ...

Of course voice commands also don't work so you can't tell them to go fly off somewhere to avoid this ...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Approved Member

the ai emulates very well online fighting

boy do i hate others doins scissors

I PREFER TO LOVE WITHOUT BEING LOVED THAT NOT LOVE AT ALL
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Formula88

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaaid View Post

Lol, with those specs how can you even play this game? And the AI emulates very well what live people online do in a dogfight? You sir, are full of shit. I dont think you have even played this game on your 3rd world PC. Please leave the discussion to those that can actually play the game. Maybe you were talking about 1946?
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

If the AI is making itself harder to hit, I'd say they've done a good job with it. It's difficult to actually get on a single engine fighter's tail with a Bf-110 when it's already behind you, so making itself a hard target seems to be a good option.

To me it sounds like you just don't want to admit your aiming isn't too good in this game.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaaid View Post

Bizarrely I have to agree with raaaid here, the online AI are almost human, shooting down 110's in a spit is childsplay, but single player makes you dizzy and epileptic......
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post
Lol, with those specs how can you even play this game? And the AI emulates very well what live people online do in a dogfight? You sir, are full of shit. I dont think you have even played this game on your 3rd world PC. Please leave the discussion to those that can actually play the game. Maybe you were talking about 1946?
He said somewhere else that he used the 400X300 resolution

But I agree with him also on the AI issue
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Approved Member

Congrats gents, you've created the dumbest and most annoying AI ever.

they climb forver, they're not affected by physics. 2 super fast rolls left, 1 right, 2 left...

Seriously?

The game runs smooth now thanks to the patch but I can't be arsed to play against such a stupid über AI.

Even if they flew as they should (FM) they would be very dumb.