Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Approved Member

Default Any thoughts on new neg G cutout post beta patch?

This is directed at people that were thought it was off and to sensitive.

What are your thoughts on it now?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Approved Member

Pretty good.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
(old values were sneezing at .5G, and cut-out at .25 which we felt were dead on, but this apparently confused most of the players)

The old values were right, the new values are wrong.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

here's something to mine...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/archive/f-59.html
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

I couldn't get the engine to cut out last night no matter what I did.
I even ended up doing a complete push over loop and still the engine kept running. The revs were reduced but the engine didn't die even under extreme negative G.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 04-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Approved Member

I dunno Ivan,

seems way off to me now. It did seem a bit sensitive before and may have needed to be tweaked a bit but now?

I pushed the stick all the way forward until a red out happened and the plane righted itself going in the opposite direction and the engine never sputtered or cut out. It did seem to lose some RPM but kept pushing the plane thru the air.

I did barrel rolls, loop de loops and everything else I could think of and the most noticable cut out was when pushing the stick all the way forward and pointing the nose straight down it did seem to lose RPM and than after a slow bit cut of very gently but came back to full power as soon as any pressure was lifted off the stick.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

I think the reality must lay between the two. Before it was a bit too sensitive, still it was closer to reality.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Approved Member

Err just tried the Quick Mission Hurri over Dover Max Boost good healthy push and hold RPM dropped to Minimum Boost to very low value and engine about 5RPM. Seems pretty reasonable representation of the effect.

Loops,Barrrel rolls etc are all positive G manoeuvre's Tarq so nothing should happen these. Try a genuine slow roll (thats using the full gambit of rudder to control nose position and roll rate plus a healthy push through the inverted and then co ordinated rudder pitch and roll in the last half .... tell me if the engine splutters.

Last edited by IvanK; 04-16-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Approved Member

Yeah, no one doubts that the engine will slowly cut out now. It now seems to take a large amount of neg G to do so.

I can push the stick full forward and nose down and red out and reverse heading and the rpm's and boost do drop but the engine never cuts out or sputters.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

What do you expect it to do STOP ?

Try starting in Level 1 G flight, max Boost about 10-15degrees nose up. Roll inverted and fly at -1G holding the canopy on the Horizon. It doesnt take long to end up with about 5RPM (counting the blades ... there is not much power being developed here), Roll back to 1G flight Engine eventually recovers as it should, You have wind milling RPM, Fuel, Ignition all you need so after 5 or so seconds it recovers..... as it should.

We now have both a Spitfire and Hurricane that allow normal GF type control inputs without a cough .... we couldn't do that previously. If you push a little more then the coughing and power drop occurs. IMO this is far closer to reality than what we had before. It also now matches a whole lot better to the descriptions of the effects by 2 accounts from current Early model Hurricane pilots in the original thread. ...:

"First, I can tell you that it does not require negative g to make the engine suffer from a shortage of fuel supply; a significant reduction of g down to, say, 0.3g can be enough to make the engine misfire. This can be experienced towards the top of a wing-over but I would estimate that the reduction in g needs to be maintained for 2 seconds or more before there are any effects. Undoubtedly, if the reduction in g was greater (to less than zero g) and particularly if the bunt was abrupt then the effect could be instantaneous. I have never, though, experienced any misfiring in turbulence; albeit, were the turbulence severe enough to produce g spikes to less than zero g, I would not rule out the possibility of the odd cough from the engine. Of interest to you I am sure is that on recovery from an episode of fuel starvation the engine recovers through a short period of over-richness shown by, I would estimate, up to a second of black, sooty exhaust before normal combustion is resumed."

No mention here of the engine stopping, also the pilot considers around 2 seconds of exposure before any real effects are noticeable. Again what we have is pretty close to this description.... certainly a whole bunch better than what we had before.

Last edited by IvanK; 04-16-2011 at 08:15 AM.