Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Approved Member

Default G.50 CEM cold start? anybody?

So yeah, can start all the other planes from scratch but not this one. Anyone figured it out?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Approved Member

As with all british planes, you need to slowly open the throttle (start with like 20% throttle) and watch the pressure gauge. It shouldnt go maximum but should be near it. When it starts rolling keep adding throttle until it goes full speed.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't start at all. Propeller spins for short while and some smoke comes out of the engine but it doesn't start. I wish we had some documentation.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Approved Member

I was struggling with it too, tried to play with the throttle a little, but I couldn't get the engine started properly - in the end, and until I find out what I'm doing wrong, I started the engine by turning on the autopilot for a few seconds and let him do the job (I watched what was happening but couldn't tell why the autopilot succeeded where I failed), a good way to get the job done in the interim.
I liked flying the G50, it's a little bit like the I16 of COD really.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Approved Member

i cannot move the #1 fuel cock in the G.50. May be a problem

edit: you have to do some handpumping that did it for me.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund89 View Post
i cannot move the #1 fuel cock in the G.50. May be a problem
Yeah, that's exactly my problem, the fuel cock is stuck. I tried to mapp a key to it but it's still stuck. Is this a bug or how the h*ll do you start this damned thing?! It's driving me nuts!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Yeah, that's exactly my problem, the fuel cock is stuck. I tried to mapp a key to it but it's still stuck. Is this a bug or how the h*ll do you start this damned thing?! It's driving me nuts!
I got it to start by open the radiator and oil radiator fully, magnetos on and some handpumping then 5% power and it start at ignite.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Thanks for the tip but it doesn't start at all. Propeller spins for short while and some smoke comes out of the engine but it doesn't start. I wish we had some documentation.
Yep, having something like a little guide (startup procedures, speed and engine settings for cruise, climb and so on) for every flyable plane would be really nice.

Speaking of the G.50, the one in Cod doesn't seem to suffer engine cut in negative g, while the one in il21946 does. Which one is correct?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Approved Member

Just tried the G.50 today to see how the Breda guns do (another subject this one, but the guns on this bird rock), followed by some flying around in a Blenheim.

It seems that the air-cooled radials are very temperamental and highly susceptible to temperature changes (which is actually realistic).

For example, i broke the oil gaskets on the blenheim by enabling extra boost and adding some power (RPM first and throttle second) over the initial limits.

In the G.50, i throttled down to descend for landing, lowered gear and flaps and by the time i was in landing configuration and had to apply power to overcome the extra drag the engine started cutting out, running rough and producing inadequate power. I had something similar happen briefly during the sortie and i cured it by throttling up and closing the cowl flaps and oil cooler a notch or two (in a similar fashion, i had to apply some carb-heat to keep the blenheim running smooth at 8000ft).

It seems that while i was throttled down and watching the levers move in the cockpit while lowering gear and flaps, my engine was either shock-cooled or my spark plugs got fouled. In any case, i didn't have enough airspeed or altitude to recover properly and i made a hard landing about 700m from the runway threshold, clipping my right wing and one of the propeller blades.

For now it's quite fun to mess with things and try to discover how stuff works on my own, but i agree that some form of expanded documentation would be needed in the long run, perhaps as part of a future patch in the form of PDF files.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

hey im just uploading a video showing my starting procedure, video will be up in a bit but i will add it to the thread below

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20321