Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Default Level Flight

Preface:I had to turn off complex engine mangement because it's just way too complex to learn while I'm testing various graphics setting.

Question: I see "A" activates an autopilot, which I doubt they had in the 40s, so it must be the sim pointing you along some flight path. I tried using the trim functions to get a level flight but it seams impossible. I'm sure I'm missing something as you're arms would get insanely tire if you had to keep your joystick(mine is a x52 BTW) pushed forward-left all the time to get a level flight. Please help as I see alot of potential for this sim once performance issues get patched next week(check out road map on main forum page)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan24 View Post
Preface:I had to turn off complex engine mangement because it's just way too complex to learn while I'm testing various graphics setting.

Question: I see "A" activates an autopilot, which I doubt they had in the 40s, so it must be the sim pointing you along some flight path. I tried using the trim functions to get a level flight but it seams impossible. I'm sure I'm missing something as you're arms would get insanely tire if you had to keep your joystick(mine is a x52 BTW) pushed forward-left all the time to get a level flight. Please help as I see alot of potential for this sim once performance issues get patched next week(check out road map on main forum page)
this is really something that bugged me in IL-2 1946 too and it's still present in ClOD! in real life you trim the plane about right and if you don't get it just right there's a small "drift" in pitch/yaw that naturally compensates itself - eg. if your trim is just a notch nose-up you'll end up flying almost straight but with a bit of a sway up/down (nothing as noticeable as in games)
in IL-2 the swaying up/down seems to be exaggerated a lot and this also counts for torgue and other effects too.
my personal experience is that it's too precise/mathematical where every effect is affecting too quickly compared to physics.. just a guess.
I sure hope this sim grows beyond these restrictions as it has a lot of potential doing so!