Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Sternjaeger

Default Landing/take off and ground behaviour

Hi guys, I know that most of you are busy kicking planes out of the sky at the moment, but I was wondering if anybody could spare a minute to give us more info on the behaviour of planes when near to or on the ground, since in the real world is a crucial part of the flying activity (and probably the most dangerous, other than being shot at that is..).

So my questions are:

1) what are the planes like on landing? Do you get ground effect? Are the CoG feeling better than normal? What's the suspensions/tires response on the landing gears (tailwheel included)?

2) regarding takeoff: do you get a lot of torque on the landing gears and on the rudder? Do the planes get affected by turbulence wakes?

3) when taxiing do the planes bounce about in a realistic way according to the difference surface?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

I am finding landing and take-off much easier than in IL2 1946. CoD seems more forgiving i.e. less chance of a nasty wing drop on landing or a wicked bounce if you come in too hot. I don't think I have become a better pilot, so I guess the FM has changed.

On a plus side, the sounds you get from groundroll are totally new, fantastic, very realistic and really up the immersion factor.

PPanPan
Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz | 1GB Gainward GTX 460 GS | Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P B3 (Intel P67) | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT | 600W PSU | 1 TB SATA-II HDD 7200 32MB | 22" Samsung T220 screen.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger View Post

1) what are the planes like on landing? Do you get ground effect? Are the CoG feeling better than normal? What's the suspensions/tires response on the landing gears (tailwheel included)?

2) regarding takeoff: do you get a lot of torque on the landing gears and on the rudder? Do the planes get affected by turbulence wakes?

3) when taxiing do the planes bounce about in a realistic way according to the difference surface?
1) no ground effect. no tire response. (just sound effects tell you, when touching down - you will not "feel" it) I have the feeling ground has no bumps and no friction.

2) No turbulence/torque etc. Just give full power and it takes off by itself

3) answer under 1): no different surfaces: seems to be kind of "icy"

PS: As the FM is good in the air, I guess they can add the ground, when more important issues are resolved, or it is done "on purpose" to keep landings managable for the casual gamer.

Last edited by lion737; 04-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
zipper

So, no groundlooping? In 1946* (and prior) on landing rollout one could just let the plane roll "feet off" and it would just go straight ahead (maybe a slight curve due to residual "torque") without the tailwheel locked. The plane SHOULD rollout like a shopping cart pushed backwards (again, with the tailwheel unlocked).

* the game, not the year ...
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

I get a contant taxiing sound effect while stood still with my engine off. Anyone else getting this?
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeye View Post
I get a contant taxiing sound effect while stood still with my engine off. Anyone else getting this?
yes. Sometimes the rolling sound keeps playing after I take off and retract gear
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Sternjaeger

thanks for the answers guys, I'm a bit disappointed about this, but I suppose it's a bit early, let's wait for further patches and see what happens.