Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Default Complex engine management

I am having a hard time with the complex engina management. Not because of the sim, is amazing to control the engine at this detail, is because is not explained deeply in the manual.

At this point, i blow the spitfire engine very easily, and hurricane sometimes, and the BF109E is more easy but i only can get 400 km/h at low level...

The basic controls are throttle, pitch and mixture? I didn't set the mixture not the radiator, just because of the russian menus.

To start the BF109, open the fuel (yellow lever at left part of cockpit), set magnetos to M2 and press I.

The pitch directly change the helix angle with air, but be carefull to don't go too much RPM (> 2500 rpms). The normal RPM to me are 2200 RPMs. In the BF110 i am having a REAL hard time because i killed the engine easily because of my bad pitch control...

Inthe spit there is no something like pitch, i only have two position and i don't really understand, one is to slow and one is too high.

This is what i know at this moment from Complex engina management, i think is AMAZING, but i don't have any information about how to make this work well. I need your help, because it's not written in the manual.

Someone can explain me how this work?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

yeah i need help finding the Prop pitch button set ... It sucks ive been having to fly complex engine management off just because i dont know where it is!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Approved Member

Don't have the game yet, but the general rule of thumb should be: look for the propeller pitch command and together with throttle adjust it according to the speed and RPM gauge. Try to keep the RPM in the area (range) where the engine can give you most power.

With the mixture you don't have to hit the mark (probably), but if you over rev = end of story.

How much you can push the engine, and squeeze out of it (Ilya himself said that overheating is terrible in those early planes) you will have to find for your self.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories

Last edited by T}{OR; 03-28-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

Even if you need speed you have to high the pitch -helix angle-? I thought that i need a low pitch to get speed, and a high pitch to climb. But two things at the same time where not possible (like happens in IL2).
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

It depends on the type of the propeller installed on the plane. I will have to get the game to know more and to tell you exactly.

But if you mess with the pitch & throttle in order to keep the RPM gauge needle in a desired location you shouldn't blow the engine.

There was that nice Spit video from AA for FSX which explained how this works very nicely. It should be a mandatory viewing for all those wanting to fly with complex engine management.

EDIT: Also (I am guessing here) rapid throttle movements are not desired.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Approved Member

This game is going to change completely the type of combats in IL2 1946, the king will be the one managing the engine... until FW190 and Komandogerat comes...
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Approved Member

It's true, early spits had only two prop positions, like manual shifting in a car. So it's very important to memorize the sound of the ideal rpm range, and act immediately on every expected deviation. So if you're going to dive in that spit, set the prop in coarse and lower throttle. This reduces your acceleration but will keep your engine healthy.

Also note that not only high temperatures are a problem, too low has adverse effects as well. And now we need to check both oil and coolant temperatures.

And don't forget the manifold pressure! If manifold pressure is too high and engine speed too low, detonation/pinging/engine knock will occur, temperature will start to rise sharply and you run the risk of burning holes in your pistons, destroying the big-end bearings or worse.

I've written a huge amount of info on these subjects, I'll look it up and post it here.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
It depends on the type of the propeller installed on the plane. I will have to get the game to know more and to tell you exactly.

But if you mess with the pitch & throttle in order to keep the RPM gauge needle in a desired location you shouldn't blow the engine.

There was that nice Spit video from AA for FSX which explained how this works very nicely. It should be a mandatory viewing for all those wanting to fly with complex engine management.

EDIT: Also (I am guessing here) rapid throttle movements are not desired.
Hi I believe you are reffering this video
Other helpfull info can befound at http://www.a2asimulations.com/
Now I need to get my hands on the game lol.

cheers,

Niels
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1_Gunkan View Post
This game is going to change completely the type of combats in IL2 1946, the king will be the one managing the engine... until FW190 and Komandogerat comes...
That's exactly what I was waiting for. People will start to realise, that a good plane must have more than just speed and turn performance. Until now it was possible to fly these old WWII birds like modern jet fighters. But the days of care free handling are over
Now we will fight like real men
Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Thats the one NLS61, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimech View Post
I've written a huge amount of info on these subjects, I'll look it up and post it here.
If you could copy it all together in few posts, a well deserved and needed sticky IMO.