Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:03 PM
BigPickle

Default AI turned to Flyable in updates

The reason I ask is because of the Vickers Wellington, she's a real beauty and to be able to do night bombing missions into the heart of the German capital (as was done in 1940) would be amazing. I'll settle for bombing France though if germany isnt on our main map.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Weren't Blenheims used as well on the first raids over Germany? And they even have a little stinger in the wing! I believe they were also a plague at night, as they were bombing the German airfields. But yes, a shame the Wellington isn't flyable, it's a real beauty as you said.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Approved Member

I couldn't agree more

Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

Question

A flyable Wellington would give the "reds" a much better attack ability for online scenarios/wars.
The Blenheim max load is acually rather low AFAIK , 1000lb.
Compare that to a He111's 2000kg...

I realy hope for a flyable Wellington (or Hampden ) soon.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

I would also love to fly the Wellington, not only is it a beautiful aircraft, but such a useful to have for the whole war for campaign-making as well, with rather minor modifications for later variants (just the engines and the tail turret really), right from day and night bombing 1940 to '42 to Coastal Command and the Far East later in the war.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:04 PM
BigPickle

Yeah it sums up rather sad feelings for me does the Wimpy, it was pretty much out classed by the German fighters, and lacked adequate defences really, but speed was on its side compared to other bombers at the time. Its geodectic structure was quite revolutionary and ment it could take a lot of punishment.
It began taking the fight to the axis in 1940 and didnt stop until 1945 even though it was again outclassed by its younger sisters such as the lanc, and was more expensive to produce because of the structure design.
They very often at the time in 1940 went out alone at night, I was stationed for a short while at RAF Honnington, they used to have Wimpy's there untill the base was lent to the USAF, and in stories I have read about the wimpy's from that base the often had these smaller type raids nightly as well as the larger ones, but even in these larger raids there was no formation type of flying (tatics used by bomber command untill the end of the war) they took off one by one and made their own way to the target and back again. Lonely and scary stuff I would imagine.

Sadly Wellington crews took the heaviest toll of all the Bomber aircraft crews, and most of the crash sites of RAF bombers here in the UK were Wellingtons, but no other bomber served for the whole duration of the war in the role or way the wellington did, it wouldnt suprise me that the Wellington being the first bomber to drop ordinance on Berlin, maybe was the last bomber to do so as well.
And they did all this at night and alone.
What a plane.

Last edited by BigPickle; 02-26-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Approved Member

So we have no level bomber for Allied?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Approved Member

Blenheim!
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Approved Member

haha doh
Old 02-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Approved Member

I hope the Wellington is made flyable at some point, it'll be good for the game all round. I like the idea of bombing German targets at night (a possible campaign/mission idea for the future?). The Blenheim is a good start though, can't wait.