Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Default Muzzleflashes unrealistic?

During daylight muzzleflashes are non-existent actually,i've seen many footage of dogfights prop or jet and i noticed the only thing you actually see is the trailing smoke from the guns?
So should it be modelled?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

The best solution : opacity of the muzzleflash as a setting in the conf ini, case closed.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
speculum jockey

20mm cannon on German AFV. No muzzle flash.

MG-42 firing multiple bursts (7.92mm). No muzzle flash.

Vickers .303 firing multiple bursts. No muzzle flash.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's all of the main rounds used by both sides. 20mm and 7.92mm for the Luftwaffe and .303 for the RAF. So they should not be visible during the daylight, but should at night.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Approved Member

Unless you are stareing straight down the barrel......But then you would not see it for long....
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDNT View Post
The best solution : opacity of the muzzleflash as a setting in the conf ini, case closed.
Not being sarcatic at all, but that, in it's elegant straight to the point simplicity, is, imo, @#$%ing ingenious.

If that's actually possible, then that, maybe combined with adjustability for the actual size of the flashes, would indeed be the best solution.

Don't like 'em, change 'em. Works for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Approved Member

The presence or absence of the flash depends on several factors. Quality and type of powder, barrel lengh, presence of a flash hider on the muzzle, etc.

If there's a flash hider installed, you most likely won't see any flash. Some powders contain flash retarding chemicals added for that exact purpose. Barrel lengh is also very important. A long barrel gives the powder more time to burn, while the bullet is still inside the barrel.

Here's a quick video of a cool flame throwing Krink:

So is not that simple. Things have to be checked for individual type of gun and ammo.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Approved Member

Be shure, the powders in wwii are not really comparable to modern ammo regarding smoke and muzzle flash!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
Be shure, the powders in wwii are not really comparable to modern ammo regarding smoke and muzzle flash!
The WWII 8mm and .303 ammo that I've shot seems to have no difference in flash or smoke compared to modern surplus ammo and commercially avaliable hunting ammo, and a K-98 or Enfield barrel is shorter than the MG's they used in Spits, Hurricanes, and 109s.

Flash that the human eye can see in daylight conditions (even when looking at the muzzle of the weapon from the front) from a ~.30 cal MG are few and far between.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

My Marlin 1894P with 16.25 inch ported barrel, chambered in .44 Magnum, will give you a "Kodak Moment", even in broad daylight.

Never seen any muzzle flash from any of my SMLEs or Martinis though.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Yes, muzzleflashes unrealistic.