Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Default Why Spit Girl is good.

OK, my first though when reading about the plotted campaign was very much "Yeah, riiiight..." Then again, it's a single player off-line campaign, I mostly fly online and have a growing interest towards co-op missions anyway. No damage done if it turns out to be bad and if it's done well... No harm in having new campaign types.

Then, I started thinking more on this and realized that the Spit Girl/Renegade campaign is just a Proof of Concept. If such campaign can be built by mission makers, the canned campaign in the release CoD is actually a demo of what can be achieved. Which means. Dramatized historical missions at least. Finally, mission makers will be able to script and build campaigns that recreate actual historical moments in dramatic form. Think the other CoD , but in full real simulation mode. Think about flying through an interactive Mysticpuma movie

Theoretically, I could create a campaign about the career of my own grandfather, who flew in the RAF in Italy, 1943. Grantred, His exploits didn't include war brides in the cockpit or backstabbing squadron mates , but there were interesting moments enough for a plotted campaign With dramatic campaign builder, or whatever it's going to be called, I could make a representation of his stories, including scripted dialogues etc. The Avarage War of the Avarage Joe Fighter Pilot, if you will.

Or one could create a campaign about a famous ace, like Douglas Bader or even a test pilot like Hanna Reitsch. This could sort of be possible in IL-2 series, but the result would be sterile, with no drama. This new approach by Oleg might be game changing, if it is given a proper chance and tools. I'm starting to hope this actually works out.

Last edited by barbalaappa; 02-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Approved Member

At least someone is thinking further than his own nose.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
At least someone is thinking further than his own nose.
+1

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Good post barbalaappa, I agree with the other guys a bit of thinking outside of the box required.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Approved Member

FS communities like to lament the state of the genre, but when features are included that widen the appeal and have the potential to make a sim more popular it's always a drama. It's a good move by the devs even if my personal interests for campaign content lie elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Approved Member

Perhaps different "passenger" meshes can be used by mission builders for different scenarios?

I can think of several types that held passengers in this way. Hurricanes, P-36's, P-47's and Ki27's to name a few.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbalaappa View Post
OK, my first though when reading about the plotted campaign was very much "Yeah, riiiight..." Then again, it's a single player off-line campaign, I mostly fly online and have a growing interest towards co-op missions anyway. No damage done if it turns out to be bad and if it's done well... No harm in having new campaign types.

Then, I started thinking more on this and realized that the Spit Girl/Renegade campaign is just a Proof of Concept. If such campaign can be built by mission makers, the canned campaign in the release CoD is actually a demo of what can be achieved. Which means. Dramatized historical missions at least. Finally, mission makers will be able to script and build campaigns that recreate actual historical moments in dramatic form. Think the other CoD , but in full real simulation mode. Think about flying through an interactive Mysticpuma movie

Theoretically, I could create a campaign about the career of my own grandfather, who flew in the RAF in Italy, 1943. Grantred, His exploits didn't include war brides in the cockpit or backstabbing squadron mates , but there were interesting moments enough for a plotted campaign With dramatic campaign builder, or whatever it's going to be called, I could make a representation of his stories, including scripted dialogues etc. The Avarage War of the Avarage Joe Fighter Pilot, if you will.

Or one could create a campaign about a famous ace, like Douglas Bader or even a test pilot like Hanna Reitsch. This could sort of be possible in IL-2 series, but the result would be sterile, with no drama. This new approach by Oleg might be game changing, if it is given a proper chance and tools. I'm starting to hope this actually works out.
That's exactly what i've been thinking lately. I think these missions with the girl and the renegade are just a demo of what the new FMB can do.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

Someone posted in another thread that the Lysander was shown long time ago in early stage of modelling.

Some great mission ideas on picking up agents in occupied france as that German convoy comes rolling down the road...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Approved Member

Afaik lysander is not a single seater.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

yeah - I know. i was thinking more of the getting extra passengers into the aircraft scenario.