Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

Default AMD or Intel?

I need to build a complete new system for CoD,so anyone know if Oleg prefers AMD or Intel?
If there's a difference which is better?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

if your looking to get the lastest...the sandybridge processor from intel have had good reviews (although there is a problem with the new MB's atm due to be fixed soon)...but this is an ever evolving market and i'm pretty sure within 5 posts you'll get someone saying AMD are the best.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Approved Member

For our gaming needs AMD X4 970 is the best bang for your money and it over-clocks easily. You don't need the latest Hex cores from either Intel (spawn of the devil himself ) or AMD. AMD are also a lot cheaper for relative performance.

Check the reviews for the AMD X4 965 / 970 / 975 and you will see that they are on par with the top end processors for gaming.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Approved Member

i was wrong it wasn't five posts^^
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

@ Leggit: here's another one: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...d=685&Itemid=8
Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

i like the titel: the fast ENOUGH computer....it's soo true
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Approved Member

not much use to me bud.....i need the fastest computer i can get.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
not much use to me bud.....i need the fastest computer i can get.
Then wait for the next CPU to come out. If that one is not fast enough, wait some more. Rinse, repeat.

-If you want the fastest CPU out now, you'll end up with the Intel i7 2600k.
-If you want the fastest system, you will need to look at the benchmarks on motherboards and memory too.
-if you want the fastest game experience, look at graphics cards.
-if you have a budget to stick to; decide on the graphics card first, with taking the resolution you'll be running into account, then the CPU, then motherboard an memory.

@Dutchman: If you're from the Netherlands, you could have a look at Tweakers.net and their BestBuyGuide.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

I don't believe Oleg or the devs have favoured one or the other. I wouldn't expect that it would matter either way - so long as the specs of the system are sufficient. (there may (?) be a difference with graphics card - nVidia or ATI , but we'll probably have to wait until release to find out.)

At the moment the general recommendation in the mags / press is for Intel Sandy Bridge (1155 socket) which is streets ahead of anything else - especially on a performance / cost basis. This is verified by several PC magazines and various online sites testing - with hard figures to back it up.

I intend going this route myself when I upgrade my system - i5-2500K to be precise (or i7-2600K as mentioned above - more expensive but not massively more powerful for gaming...)

The big issue is that Intel had a problem with their chipsets for the motherboards that run Sandy Bridge, and there is currently a month or more delay before they will be available again.

But if you want the best cost / performance returns then this is what I would recommend.

Suggest you do some googling and research to satisfy yourself that these recommendations are legit as there is conflicting advice in this thread.

Last edited by kendo65; 02-05-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

first of all i would like dutch for bringing this up. i have being toying between a i25005k with a gtx 480 or a 970be with a gtx 570 both with corsair 8gb ram and heat spreader.