Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Default Paccus HAWK-First joystick with hydraulic feedback

www.paccus.nl

Good News:
'thank you for your inquiry. We are currently testing the production prototype and trying to get the money from the bank to start production. As you might know, we are a new small company and that makes it difficult to convince a bank to put money in our company. We hope to get funding in February. Than we can start to create the production tools and make the first run. We plan to have the first units available by this summer. The price will be around €450. You could help us by passing on the good news. The more people that are interested in our products, the easier it will get to convince the bank. We will add you to our updates. Thank you again and we sure hope to make you happy in the near future.

kind regards
The Paccus Team
Bart Sikkens'

Last edited by nearmiss; 05-12-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Approved Member

Looks ugly. The price, too.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Global Moderator

Reminds me of the old proverb... A day late and a dollar short.

The most successful joysticks look like something out of aircraft, not a whizzer doodle kitchen appliance.

The placement of buttons is not about how they look, but the way they are used.( by the peope) Ergonomics I think is how descrbed.

Forcefeedback is not that big a deal. All the bouncing around makes it more difficult to get hits on target. That equates to lower performance, which is not so go playing online.

The best way to enter JS market is to produce a better product than we have now, that has all the buttons in all the places people want them. Oh yes, and it would help to have some switches as well.

Programmable keys is the biggy for the future.

The price is too expensive... just for a joystick. We can buy complete HOTAS for less, which is tried and proven by thousands of users.

If the stick was retail under $100 USD it might appeal to some hen pecked husbands. Afterall, wives are probably our greatest critics. So... maybe a slick looking kitchen appliance appearing joystick might make our hobby more acceptable. Then again, I doubt it.

I may be too critical, but when you spend a fortune trying to promote a dog that won't hunt it will be too late.

Don't reinvent the wheel... the market is saturated. There are already too many joysticks available, and they aren't that bad.

You want a market in Joysticks it's right there in front of the world.

The most recommended stick of all time MSFT FF2. There you have it, find a way to produce it, with some additional features and you've got a winner.

Oh yeah, and the button positions on the MSFT FF2 suck as well.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

less than $100? That would mean you'll have to produce it for $10.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Reminds me of the old proverb... A day late and a dollar short.

The most successful joysticks look like something out of aircraft, not a whizzer doodle kitchen appliance.

The placement of buttons is not about how they look, but the way they are used.( by the peope) Ergonomics I think is how descrbed.

Forcefeedback is not that big a deal. All the bouncing around makes it more difficult to get hits on target. That equates to lower performance, which is not so go playing online.

The best way to enter JS market is to produce a better product than we have now, that has all the buttons in all the places people want them. Oh yes, and it would help to have some switches as well.

Programmable keys is the biggy for the future.

The price is too expensive... just for a joystick. We can buy complete HOTAS for less, which is tried and proven by thousands of users.

If the stick was retail under $100 USD it might appeal to some hen pecked husbands. Afterall, wives are probably our greatest critics. So... maybe a slick looking kitchen appliance appearing joystick might make our hobby more acceptable. Then again, I doubt it.

I may be too critical, but when you spend a fortune trying to promote a dog that won't hunt it will be too late.

Don't reinvent the wheel... the market is saturated. There are already too many joysticks available, and they aren't that bad.

You want a market in Joysticks it's right there in front of the world.

The most recommended stick of all time MSFT FF2. There you have it, find a way to produce it, with some additional features and you've got a winner.

Oh yeah, and the button positions on the MSFT FF2 suck as well.
I have to disagree about force feedback not being a big deal - it's a big deal when it's done right. If the joystick is able to offer more resistance than MSFFB2, we will truly feel the heaviness of the stick when diving.

MSFFB2 just can't do it well with its motors, especially when the stick has been extended. The hydraulic approach seems to be able to solve that with more force.

While the force feedback may throw off aim at times, as long as it is proportional to real life, i have no problems with it. This is a SIMULATION after all - I don't want a super steady stick if real life pilots don't have one.

I agree with it looking like a toy though, they totally missed their target audience.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Yeah the looks don't appeal to me either. I really would love a better setup though. i now have a G940 and it rocks but I'm looking for somewhat more 'proffesional' stuff.

What i read in snippets on the web is that Paccus will consider different models in the future and I have also heard speculation on throttles and rudders. also hydraulic. Now that would rock. the cheapest hydraulic rudders I have come across are close to 1500 euros.

you must realise that this company is not a big player yet. From what i gather they will be implementing joysticks for the industry/medical stuffies also. So lets hope they get their funding straightened out and sell lots of stuff so they will branch out in the near future More proffesional players in the sim hardware world is what we need. competition creates diversity. And in my opinion thats what we need in this niche market.

So I wish my landgenoten all the best of luck and hopefully we will see some awsomeness soon
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

I wonder what happens when it blows a seal and leaks hydraulic fluid all over your desk and keyboard?

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Approved Member

Design Fail.

It looks like ass. Worse, it looks like cheap ass what with the chrome plastic look (even if it's machined it looks like fake chrome) and symmetrical button layout. Are they trying to appeal to the console market? I agree it's a total demographic fail.

They should have went for an industrial look with functionality in mind.

Too bad cause I'd like them to do well at least so there's another player in the market but good luck getting any serious bank funding from this.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Approved Member

You need to hire a industrial designer to help you.Joysticks,as cars,are bought with the eyes too.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Approved Member

I never understood putting buttons at the base of a joystick (difficult to maintain the best posture for control) and why there are so few buttons on the handle (eg. like on the Gravis Firebird).

Anyway, these sticks are all too expensive.

It is interesting that good medium-range joysticks no longer seem to exist?