Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Approved Member

Default A few questions - new player

Hi Guys -

I returned to flight-simulation recently after a ten year hiatus. I last played the original Il-2 many moons ago, and am currently delighted at now being able to max out settings on Il-2 1946! It runs like silk.... so beautiful too. I am almost as happy to see an active forum still for this classic.

Now to my questions: I have v12.2, just bought it from Steam.

1. I have read a lot about maps that I don't think I have. Missions like Battle of Britain that I don't see. How do I get these (or are they there)?

2. How do I change metric measurement (KPH, Metres, etc.) to Imperial (US/UK for / MPH, feet...)?

3. When I press F4 for 'nearest enemy', it padlocks with a little green triangle around it to 'nearest Friendly' (I shot one of my own guys!)... I bound the key to a button on my flight stick, and the same thing happens. Any advice?

4. Finally (for now), is there any way to zoom in and out in cockpit view with my mouse wheel?

Thanks so much!

- A very excited re-born simmer.
Kartman
Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Approved Member

Well, first of all, I guess you've the 4.12.2, if Steam isn't so far ahead...

Maps that you can't see listed in your FMB (Full Mission Builder), need a modded version of the game to be installed. Missions which require non-stock maps, as well.

Assign a key to "Toggle Speed Bar" in "Controls" (be aware there's one setting for each pilot you switch on) and hit repeatedly during simulation to get MPH, Knots, etc.

Go to "Difficulty" menu and disable "No HUD Icons".

Go again to "Controls" and scroll down list under "HOTAS Controls": there abreast "Head Forward/Backward", click and wheel your mouse.

Blue skies,
GB
Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Approved Member

GreyBeard - thanks so much. I would probably have never figured out those adjustments.

Regarding maps and a "modded version of the game", what is the name of the mod, or where can I find it?

Thanks,
Kart
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Approved Member

Answers for #2 and #4 can be found in your controls menu, hit "Esc" then look for the controls button. I think #2 is called "speedbar toggle" or something like that.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman013 View Post
Regarding maps and a "modded version of the game", what is the name of the mod, or where can I find it?
There are only two up-to-date modpacks. One is HSFX that you find at:

HSFX IL-2 Mod Software Releases - Public Forum

(you should currently install v7.0 on IL-2 1946 v4.12.2m and then its two updates, 7.0.1 and 7.0.2, in this order).

second is SAS ModAct, basically a mod activator, that you find at:

SAS Modact 5.3 for IL-2 4.12.2m

whichever is your choice, I strongly recommend to store an original of basic v4.07m, untouched: you will always be allowed to make as many copies of it as you want (always just copy the main folder in new directories called, say, HSFX, ModAct, UP, DBW and so on), upgrade each at desired level (4.09, 4.10, etc.) and then apply mods of your choice.

Second recommendation is about adding further mods to a modpack (modpack usually stores its own mods in same original IL-2 "packaging" format, which is SFS, user adds further mods according to a different procedure): always perform by JSGME (Jone Soft Generic Mod Enabler). This latter keeps track of all files added, warns you about possible conflicts and, above all, allows user to remove any mod restoring everything as it was before.

Adding maps is one of the most difficult mod to perform; personally, I would suggest to install on a fresh copy of v4.12.2m the HSFX, easier to install and manage. It also includes many non-stock maps: maybe you'll find also the one of your interest.

Read carefully instruction and always mentally plan action and their possible effects before to act. Good luck and have fun! GB
Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

Thanks very much Grey. I have installed all now and things work great. However my next issue is Mission4Today.com. I guess, this is what I get for coming late to the party...

I registered to download single player missions, but nobody has got back to me accepting my registration. I registered on 4 days ago now. Do you know if they are still "manned"?

I have these gorgeous maps, but no missions. I just can't wait

Thanks,
Kart
Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
... my next issue is Mission4Today.com... I registered on 4 days ago now.
M4T was out of order between last day 15 and 16; perhaps your registration went lost in the process. Try to register again.

I can also send a PM to administrator with your userid, if you like, pointing out the issue.

In the meantime, be aware that also SAS contains a lot of goodies, just a bit chaotic, and so more difficult to find.

Cheers,
GB
Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 AM
Approved Member

Hi Grey - that would be great if you could please ping one of the admins over there at M4T. I did send a PM but that too possibly got lost. Pretty sure I used Kartman013 username. If not it's Capt. Spears.

I've found quite a few amazing resources around the web, but unfortunately spent the entire weekend trying to get Westfront to work using Dgen and HSFX. I've just reinstalled for the 3rd time.

I just found WarBridsOfPrey.org, who seem to have some good looking missions. But what I really want is Channel missions for 352nd's map. That's why I tried so hard to get Westfront working.

I will keep trying because every time I load up a Spitfire I literally get chills down my spine!

Thanks,
K.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi Grey - that would be great if you could please ping one of the admins over there at M4T.
Message sent.

Hi,
GB
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Approved Member

Got the answer:

To: greybeard
Sent: Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 am
Object: Re: Failed registration of a new member

Applications expire after 24 hours. He will need to register again, when he does PM me again and I will approve him.