Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Approved Member

Default CoD will be "only" a FS or something more?

S! All,this is my first topic and i'm italian,so i hope my english will be satisfactory enough

One of the things i've always foun "weak" in il-2 was not the "flying" part,but the rest of the content: one of the things i love about aviation and aviation movies are the stories of the pilots,their friends,their love, their brave,what they were fighting for ecc.To be more specific,i'd love a simulator with a storyline,like a "battle of britain" (1969 movie) or "Dark Blue World" (Ok,maybe not so much lovestory) videogame. I think that few cutscenes would be a good and not too expensive way to reach this level,and maybe a less "static" radio comm like "This is three (drinks a cup of tea) ... HELP I'M BURNING AAAAARGHHHHH".
What is your opinion ? Do you think oleg will do something about ?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Approved Member

Hmm a static prescripted campaign or a dynamic without?

ill take dynamic anytime
Old 01-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay82 View Post
Hmm a static prescripted campaign or a dynamic without?

ill take dynamic anytime
Not just talking about prescripted or dynamic: i'm talking about a story,like in an FPS or an Adventure where you are a pilot with maybe a good friend in your squadron that you want to defend at all cost (or maybe a younger brother lol),or a young girlfriend/wife waiting for you at home.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

hmm i do't like that idear but maby a cut scean of pilots running to there aircraft in first peron would be cool
Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

I don't think Il-2 is the right game for this kind of stuff. Cutscenes describing links between charakters, lovestories etc. actually remind me of Blazing Angels 2 and the likes and are, imho, quite typical of novels, movies, comics etc. rather than a realistic aerial combat sim. I think what the people who are waiting for Il-2 want is, in fact, a FS, and nothing more.

PS: But let's wait and see what immersion options the new FMB will offer - maybe it will be possible to create such campaigns (to some extent, at least)
Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

Ilya has said countless time that there is a new angle to the game and I still cant understand something about the girl he is been mentioning.He also said something along the lines of the BoB movie in terms of the story if Im not mistaken.So given that Im not misinterpreting him, there's gonna be a female character in the game.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Women played a large part in the RAF, as ferry pilots, plotters, radar operators and so on. Whether their voices were ever heard over the pilots' R/T is doubtful as the ground controllers were all men. Maybe she's going to be the barmaid in one of the pubs that the pilots frequented when the day's action was over? Or perhaps a nurse in Sir Archibald McIndoe's burns clinic? Or just the tea-lady in the canteen?
As far as ongoing romances are concerned, one thing is certain - she'd better be good at shedding virtual tears.
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
BigPickle

I definately like the dynamic campaigns but yeah cutscenes would be great, like when you pass your training you see your pilot walk out from the mess to see HIS spit or Hurri waiting for him in the early morning sun rise, i think thats sort of short cut scene stuff would be awesome.

But an absolute must is changing the dialog acting, I totally know what you mean by "This is three (drinks a cup of tea) ... HELP I'M BURNING AAAAARGHHHHH", like an emergency message with the same calm call sign given, its just not clever when you have bad cut and paste voice acting
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palvas View Post
S! All,this is my first topic and i'm italian,so i hope my english will be satisfactory enough

One of the things i've always foun "weak" in il-2 was not the "flying" part,but the rest of the content: one of the things i love about aviation and aviation movies are the stories of the pilots,their friends,their love, their brave,what they were fighting for ecc.To be more specific,i'd love a simulator with a storyline,like a "battle of britain" (1969 movie) or "Dark Blue World" (Ok,maybe not so much lovestory) videogame. I think that few cutscenes would be a good and not too expensive way to reach this level,and maybe a less "static" radio comm like "This is three (drinks a cup of tea) ... HELP I'M BURNING AAAAARGHHHHH".
What is your opinion ? Do you think oleg will do something about ?
I guess your opinion will not be too popular around here Now personally I can also do without the "love story" / "buddy gets shot down behind enemy lines" / "super-arrogant squad member turns traitor, steals the new Spitfire prototype and has to be stopped" stuff. Then again I've had lots of fun in the old days with sims that had some kind of storyline (Strike Commander, US Navy Fighters). Maybe it's difficult to merge this with a realistic sim, but it's not impossible.

Anyway, none here really knows how the campaign will turn out. There are some indications that it will in fact feature some story, but we'll have to see to what extent and how the whole presentation level (voiceovers, cutscenes) would work out. Beyond that there should be many 3rd party campaigns eventually, with various levels of historical accuracy or cheesiness
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Approved Member

Well,i didn't say i want an incredible hollywood story such "squad leader that steals the new spitfire and conquer the world". That would be too much and i agree it would be a negative feature for realism
As someone else said,some cutscenes of you running at your plane while Luftwaffe is bombing the airfield,watching your best "virtual" friend hit by a bomb (and not just "Number three (cup of tea )" ) or by a 109 while landing , would be a very interesting feature without touching the simulation level of the sim.Or having an arrogant squad leader that mission after mission becomes like a second father for you and got killed during his last mission with a terrible hit over the spirit of your squad.

Not talking about incredible dramas ace combat style,just talking about true and possible backgrounds of your pilot during the BoB

Last edited by palvas; 02-01-2011 at 08:26 AM.