Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Approved Member

Default Olegs worst competitors (?) - Microsoft Flight have released new screens...

So - Microsoft Flight has released new screens yesterday...

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Look at the new January 2011 screens and think about that before whining about the landscape shots Oleg has released - or the palette for that matter... A small Russian company does this and the worlds largest software company gives us that? Look at screen 4 - is it only me or does it look even worse than FSX? (which obviously is what Flight really is with some tweaks - I know). Look at the fields in shot 1 and compare to the Blenheim shot from the latest update...

Do you think they will manage to get real DX10 support this time? Don't even dream on DX11 - but I guess they will promise that this time like they did with DX10 in FSX

So Oleg, you don't have to worry about them any more then
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Approved Member

I am not a Microsoft fanboi, but these screenshots look quite beautiful to me? You sure we looked at the same ones?

Besides Flight is not really competion to COD, is it?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Approved Member

Install Silverlight
No thanks

Youtube Profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/E69Qpassa
Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Approved Member

No Silverlight for me either, thank you
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post
I am not a Microsoft fanboi, but these screenshots look quite beautiful to me? You sure we looked at the same ones?

I actually don't like the FSX graphics at all with the satellite textures and low res houses and trees randomly scattered over them, and this is more or less FSX with "Games for Windows Live" support if I get it right... The reason they always have these mountain ranges in the shots is that it's the only thing it does fairly good

Take one of these "new" shots of their "new" engine and compare to the same place in FSX and I'm sure it would be impossible to tell them apart - and we know that the FSX engine stutters badly while doing graphics like this. I think they are beaten easily by IL2 with later maps when you see them "in action"... They may look fairly OK on a screenshot but while rolling it's the opposite to me at least when the autogen objects freak out and the cities look like an old DOS game like EF 2000 with some landmarks in the middle of a pile of boxes

Then we know how crappy the FM is compared to IL2 - and that does not make it better - I think the stall behaviour in FSX feels like an old DOS game so it fits the autogen cities well

OK, it has the whole world to fly over so naturally the trees in Mombasa can't be placed manually like the trees near the edge of the white cliffs in CoD, but when it stutters in the menu while loading a rather crude Cessna with a 3D preview something is wrong - and then FSX was used in the promos for Vista/Me 2. Anyone remember that OS by the way?

And I suppose it's competition as there are just a few flight simulators in production right now and the communities should overlap quite a lot?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Approved Member

Somehow, I got Silverlight...

The pictures look like the equivalent of current payware for FSX if you ask me, the Maule is the same too...this is shaping like marketing drama leading to...being forced to use windows live...they all want (Microsoft and the other giants) their own Facebook and Apple store...Not looking as good as it first seemed.

Lou
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

FSX to sell Vista, powered by DX10 was the PR... too bad it all fell over.

but there was something cagey about an open architecture, with 3rd party support that offered paid for 3rd party bits and pieces to fix the crappy oem product, which had me wondering about what went on in "the back room" ( ) during the development phase
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM View Post

I agree. I never cared for the FS series, but I don't see anything obviously wrong in those screenies.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrobaron View Post
I agree. I never cared for the FS series, but I don't see anything obviously wrong in those screenies.
Same here.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Approved Member

I have FSX and its great - after adding lots of aftermarket enhancements.

calling FSX 'pilots' nerds is laughable when I see Il2 fans calling themselves 'fighterpilots' lol

whats the difference - all computer sim players and or gameplayers are nerdlingers - time to face reality on that point, fellers

I agree that MS Flight looks exactly like FSX with ORBX and REX addons in place as default environments -

but then, when you render it all down to brass tacks, Il2:CoD looks like Il2 with hackmods in place and a little extry rounding on the models courtesy of the added polygons you get with PC improvements so....

why all the fingerpointing ?

the Sandman...