Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Default Ilya answers regarding CoD scaleability

I just logged in to Facebook and threw away a comment/question regarding how the new game engine will respond to future hardware configurations.

For those registered on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/il2sturmovik...5?notif_t=like

For those without:
" Simon, the game is indeed extremely scalable. For the past six months all we've been doing is scaling it back. Basically we had built a 2013 game and had to pull it back into the present. Growth in the next couple of years will be very easy. We'll just flick a bunch of switches back on."

I find this answer positive and I think the hard part is done for the team of 1C. Future expansions will support both more planes, new terrains and some exotic graphical features.

//Simon
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Approved Member

sounds really good for all of us!those who have high end pcs and those who dont.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Approved Member

Well yeah they had to turn stuff off. They can't even take a single pic at high res with AA. But then again, they may only have a 2006 machine they are testing it on....LOL!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post

" Simon, the game is indeed extremely scalable. For the past six months all we've been doing is scaling it back. Basically we had built a 2013 game and had to pull it back into the present. Growth in the next couple of years will be very easy. We'll just flick a bunch of switches back on."

//Simon
Ahhhhhhh, my face is melting with excitement.

Sounds like the devs have been very sensible with targeting features and allowing enough scalability for the future. I also take this to mean that they will scale all features this way and not just eye candy.

Perhaps weather, AI, FM, DM, online environment updates as more cores / CPU power becomes available.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =PF=Coastie View Post
Well yeah they had to turn stuff off. They can't even take a single pic at high res with AA. But then again, they may only have a 2006 machine they are testing it on....LOL!
They do have high end machines, reserved for programmers and "important, have to stuff". And before u say: "well, borrow one such machine for an hour and snap some screenshots", they allredy said that the "gameversions" on the high end machines are not fit for "human consumption" ...Iliyas words i belive. (correct me if im wrong).
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Approved Member

Just like i was suspecting, they went about it the same way as with IL2.

We didn't have perfect landscape mode or detailed water in the early versions of IL2 either

I like the way they are doing it to be honest.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Hecke

hopefully they don't scale back too much. When new kepler is out, which is meant to be 3 times faster than fermi, there's again plenty of room for better graphics and physics.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt View Post
Just like i was suspecting, they went about it the same way as with IL2.

We didn't have perfect landscape mode or detailed water in the early versions of IL2 either
Exactly
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Tree_UK

I cant believe they built a 2013 game built on DX9-10 and not DX11. That just doesn't add up.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
I cant believe they built a 2013 game built on DX9-10 and not DX11. That just doesn't add up.
With some common sense I think they prepared the engine so it is competitive in 2013 => DX11, DX12 etc AND prepared to handle the mainstream market of today => lots of computers out there with DX9 gpus.

Ilya has already mentioned that they have lots of features in store ready for activation when they are needed.

Bad comparison but BWM doesn't launch the M3 right away together with their newest iteration of the 3-series.