Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

Default IL-2 and OpenGL

S!

This is directed to TD as they have the knowledge and access to the inner works of IL-2 engine, namely the OpenGL/shader part. So PLEASE leave out any fanboyism from EITHER brand New year, fresh start!

IL-2 uses a rather old and dated version of OpenGL and was optimized to NV in this case. This hampers the AMD users with lower FPS etc. Now both brands support OpenGL 4.1 in their drivers and features. Furthermore AMD cards fully support the features that were new at yearly years of IL-2, like Shader 3.0 etc. So there should be no restriction to allow AMD cards to use the Shader 3.0 feats at all anymore.

So the question is could TD check this and see if the OpenG/shader stuff can be upgraded to a more recent version? This would help ALL players with better performance. Sure not an item of most importance, but for sure havíng quite an impact on the game and how it runs.

So how about it TD? A possibility in future to look into this? I do not plan to change my GPU for one game when all others run perfectly fine
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Approved Member

+1

I think it is a good idea but probably will need too much work?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

I have been able to run hardware shaders with water 3 for quite a while now on both 4870 and 5870 ATI cards. They just wont support water 4 which isnt really any better than water 3 anway. I'd rather ATI get their act together to support IL2 with proper crossfireX support so my quadfire setup can push some extra frames with high antialiasing!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

+1
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

S!

Just tested on 4.10m with AMD 6970HD. Setting Water=3 reverts to Water=1. Highest setting for AMD is AFAIK Water=2. Anyways, back to topic.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

I ask that way back then, said to them was impossible, very difficult
Old 01-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Approved Member

Regarding water... from readme patch 4.04m:

Quote:
Graphics:

Reworked water render

To see the updated water render please modify the Water section in the file conf.ini in the [Render_OpenGL] section.

Water = 0 or 1 – No changes in version 4.03.
Water = 2 – This mode is visually similar to water = 3 but it runs on ATI cards 9800, X800, X1800 and later models.
Water = 3 – Fast render mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6600 and later models)
Water = 4 – Better quality mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6800 and later models)
Reminder:
ATI supports modes: 0, 1, 2
NVIDIA 6600 and later models support: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
NVIDIA cards before the series 6xxx support 0, 1, 2 (2 is not recommended)
I don't think, anything has changed since then.

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

S!

So can anything be done to this as AMD fully supports this shader these days? Would be great to have some update in this department as it would be good for so many
Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Approved Member

Sadly this issue is a driver problem with AMD is it not?

I'm visiting my folks in winnipeg right now, and actually helped my stepdad swap out a 4850 for a gf275. What a difference in the visuals (tweaked for both cards of course).

There are STILL opengl issues for AMD/ATI users who want to play IL2, despite the fact it's ancient software by modern standards (no offense to devs or TeamD members intended). We've been able to milk this one for a long time. I'm sure many of your fans would be most grateful if you (team D) could find a way to work with ATI/AMD to correct this long standing issue.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

This is directed to TD as they have the knowledge and access to the inner works of IL-2 engine, namely the OpenGL/shader part. So PLEASE leave out any fanboyism from EITHER brand New year, fresh start!

IL-2 uses a rather old and dated version of OpenGL and was optimized to NV in this case. This hampers the AMD users with lower FPS etc. Now both brands support OpenGL 4.1 in their drivers and features. Furthermore AMD cards fully support the features that were new at yearly years of IL-2, like Shader 3.0 etc. So there should be no restriction to allow AMD cards to use the Shader 3.0 feats at all anymore.

So the question is could TD check this and see if the OpenG/shader stuff can be upgraded to a more recent version? This would help ALL players with better performance. Sure not an item of most importance, but for sure havíng quite an impact on the game and how it runs.

So how about it TD? A possibility in future to look into this? I do not plan to change my GPU for one game when all others run perfectly fine
Sorry to interject on this but ..............

To understand the OGL shader part of IL2 you need to be able to program in OGL and make new reworked water renders for the shaders to work and asking TD to do this is a probably beyond them as the il2core.dll will need to be reworked also and this file is a nightmare inside

ATI should be the ones to ask for optimizing the driver.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 01-02-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: speeling