Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Approved Member

Default Game Lag and Elevator sensitivity?

There were a number of SIM games last night (Xbox) during which my plane would stall and become unstable, at one point it weaved and stalled in level flight. These games were also 'laggy'. I have been playing BOP since its release and know exactly what elevator sensitivity I need for my a/c so was suprised at just how unpredictable the handling became. I switched joysticks during one match and exactly the same. I had to reduce the elevator sensitivity much lower than normal in order to continue the game but a quick drop into 'Training' revealed that the issue was confined to the on-line game. The Spit handled flawlessy with my usual setting. 'Hurricane' experienced exactly the same problem and had to reduce his sensitivity in order to maintain acceptable handling during the 'laggy' games. It seems that 'lag' also affects the handling......
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Approved Member

I've only had one laggy game in my life. The enemys plane was 2km away in less then half a minute.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Well there's often initial lag on PS3 but it settles. That said I did have a few games a few weeks back where as I believe Olife has mentioned the plane becomes sluggish and unresponsive

Last edited by Gilly; 10-26-2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spel chequer
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
There were a number of SIM games last night (Xbox) during which my plane would stall and become unstable, at one point it weaved and stalled in level flight. These games were also 'laggy'. I have been playing BOP since its release and know exactly what elevator sensitivity I need for my a/c so was suprised at just how unpredictable the handling became. I switched joysticks during one match and exactly the same. I had to reduce the elevator sensitivity much lower than normal in order to continue the game but a quick drop into 'Training' revealed that the issue was confined to the on-line game. The Spit handled flawlessy with my usual setting. 'Hurricane' experienced exactly the same problem and had to reduce his sensitivity in order to maintain acceptable handling during the 'laggy' games. It seems that 'lag' also affects the handling......

I've noticed this too. If when you start a game you bank left then flick it right and it feels sluggish it's because of connection problems and means you'll probably also have a hard time hitting anyone.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

Its certainly a lag issue. I'm thinking it might be a bit like when you play a laggy first person shooter where you try to move and it feels youre stuck in mud then suddenly you
fast forward or beam to where your blind input would have taken you.

BoP actually has a very good system of visualy hiding lag (we only see the lag with other players jumping and teleporting when it is considerable) hence the term mini-lag or micro-lag has been used for lag you can't see. You can still FEEL this lag though, your plane can feel slugish and then unexpectedly stall in a turn as the game trys to "fast forwards" your plane beyond its flight capability.
This also explains why you need to fire an unholy amount of bullets to take down planes with lag. If you could turn off the lag hider you would see your target jiggling all around which unfortunately acts as a very good evasive manuever.

Its only a theory though, I might be complety wrong.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 10-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

never thought of this before but it does stand to reason...the lag is an interruption or delay between response and reaction. and it could work either way....you move the controls and the ac doesnt react quickly...or the plane buffets or banks and your response on the controller isnt read fast enough to correct. i think as pope illuded to there are several different kinds of lag. some of them right themselves and some get worse to where you have to dump the game and start over. we also noticed on some of our xbox games....when certain players who are notorious for bad connection speeds show up things start to get screwy. i dont know if the system tries to adjust for the disparity of connection speeds of each player but it does seem it only takes one bad connection to stymie the server.

Last edited by bobbysocks; 10-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Approved Member

Lag comes in several forms.
  • Complete Freeze
  • Instant Replay Effect
  • Invisability or partial invisability
  • Delay

Lag can greatly affect gameplay.