Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

Default What do Total War fans think about MoW?

Sorry for spamming the forum, but I am really curious if there are any Total War fans here. I am interested if MoW changed the way you look at or experience TW games.

I enjoyed TW games for many years, esp. the battles online. But after playing my 50 MoW online battles, I find it hard to come back to TW. It just lacks the tactical depth and the huge variety of units which MoW has.

What I really like in MoW is that it encourages you to use deception and surprise attacks which in TW is virtually impossible, coz in TW you see all enemy movement on the map and on the mini map (no FoW). And I like the fact that thanks to the MoW reinforcement system you learn how to achieve a maximum outcome with minimum recourses. In TW you march onto the battlefield with minimum recourses and most of the time you just fight head on with some flanking attempts.

MoW is a really good game. I just hope the devs will not go the commercial route and turn the hardcore tactical game into a game for casual players who don’t have time and inclination to think.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

for me the only Total War i like is Rome i have empire Total War but they is more bug compare to men of war for me.

anyway to your question.

i play Rome Total War now and again as for empire Total War hell i just uninstall.

you cannot compare the two game because

one - is not the same time periods
two - the Total War series is more of a infantry

i like Total War but i also like to move on the same for men of war.

if men of war go modern warfare will you play men of war world war II again?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Approved Member

Of course, these two games are quite different. But regardless of the era or type of warfare we play, there are some universal game features which could be used in any type of game.

What do you see in Napoleon Total war?:

Stealth

In NTW stealth is limited to hiding your troops before the battle in the woods. You can hide them during the game but it’s of little use coz you would see them marching to the hiding spot.

FoW

In NTW there is no fog of war. You see all units regardless whether they positioned on the other side of a hill or deep in the forest. Lack of FoW makes stealth more difficult. There is no stealth movement, therefore no chance of sneaking your units behind enemy lines.

Control of units

In NTW you can only control a unit as a whole. You can’t split them up, thus one regiment vs one regiment battles are boring and the victor is the one with faster reload or better accuracy.

AI of your soldiers.

In NTW your soldiers will not return fire if they are being shot from the flank or rear even if they can fire at fill. To make them shoot you need to turn the whole regiment around, coz they can’t turn on their heels.

Taking over the enemy’s equipment.

In NTW you can’t use the enemy’s cannons. Even after the battle all the equipment remains on the battle field.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Approved Member

I love the TW games. I've played almost all of them. Right now I'm playing NTW. I also love MoW, and would say that it's the best WW2 RTS game out there(along with SHoWW2,FoW,and MoWRT). To me the TW games and the MoW games are so different that it's easy to keep them separate.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Approved Member

Big difference in TW and MoW: Physics

Never even played TW, but it just seems obvious, the physics in MoW may well be the most advanced in our world.

Last edited by Korsakov829; 06-01-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Approved Member

I have played all total war games and for me only one stands out that being Rome. Its a fantastic multiplay game but does feel a little dated now at the side of MOW.

I have tried but do not like NTW but will be trying Shogun on its release. Most people are crying out for Rome 2 but if they use the same format as empire etc it won't work.

Rome I would reccomend its a fantastic game and very deep, gamespy issues are a problem even more so than mow.

The biggest problem for me is in RTW it is right click to move in MOW its left click, simple issue but gets me in all sorts of problems in rtw .

Looking forward to assault squad more than Shogun but would be up there in the queue for rome2.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Approved Member

If you liked RTW and like MoW you will like MoW better in most cases.

What Men of War has that Rome Total War doesn't have is the units. Men of War units are like muscle cars, you can customize their inventory. Total War is bigger, your like the general of a entire country and command a force of thousands. In Men of War you control a few platoons broken down into squads at max. The general theme of both games is the same, Real Time Strategy.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

i love both games but both have a very different feel in mow you can stall an entire army for a whil with 1 squad but if a regiment in empire tries to stop an army they will most likely die
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Approved Member

i play rtw multiplayer. it still is alive, kind of like the Cossacks multiplayer.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Approved Member

In Empire TW, I remember one art: a column of British soldiers marching along a road in the forest and Indians hiding in the bushes on both sides of the road. Sort of The Last of Mohicans scene. I loved the art but it made me realise that unfortunately there are limits to how I can plan my ambushes in TW games. In MoW, on the other hand, I am enjoying the huge freedom of what I can do on the battlefield.