Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Armored Princess

King's Bounty: Armored Princess Sequel to the critically acclaimed King’s Bounty: The Legend.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Default Royal thorns, have they been mentioned?

I have been scouting through the forums for various tips on how to make a third runthrough more fun, however I have failed to see anyone mention the enourmous power of the royal thorns.

They were somewhat limited in my game but I had enough to make most fights ridiculously easy. I just avoided using them against other heroes and dragonstacks.

I had the item which gives them 100% to damage+ 50% slower rage reduction after battle... my companion held a +1 to poison damage dagger and I was weilding a +20% to critical hit sword.

In Elon I got dryads to produce more thorns and I sometimes used the time scroll to renew another summon with the Royal thorns. Each stack of the small thorns were often making crits for 20k damage wiping out any stack + another 1k thorns on the dead body using the paladins "extra turn" if available in the same round.

Against Baal I had so many thorns up that there was barely space to move.

As for keeping the Royal thorns alive I used demonologists and sacrificed paladins to keep up their numbers.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Approved Member

among various topics they are mentioned as good unit
Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Approved Member

Yea; most of my games only a few show up (there seems to always be two guaranteed loads of them; one on debir with 3 to 7 and one on [] with 30ish.

In one game (warrior) over 1000 showed up; had an impressive stack of ~1000. Only problem was resurection. The warrior usage of them resulted in thorns in stakcs of 3000 or 4000; throw in phantom on the royals and ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorflame View Post
among various topics they are mentioned as good unit
Old 05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Approved Member

royal thorns are a pain vs fire damage though

a big weakness but oh well xD
don't use em vs dragons or heroes
Old 05-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Not to mention that the Spell target isnt needed, since the the thorn stacks automatically attract the attention of the AI ... most times.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Approved Member

most times if they cannot reach a real unit

but archers might hit your real units
Old 05-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Approved Member

Yeah, Royal Thorns are pretty good. They tend to be lacking in number though, and their weakness to fire can be... very painful. Also, demonologists are the only consistent resurrectors for them... and also quite possibly the rarist unit in the game. So I think the combination of the two is why you don't hear a lot about them.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Approved Member

Royal thorns are pretty good but they arent so popular because most users here play no loss campaings. And its impossible to do this with them.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

it's very easy to do a no loss with royal thorns if u got demonologist
Old 05-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

There are some nasty heroes on first islands with flaming arrow where u cant avoid loss of royal thorn. Doubt u have demonoligist in tha part of game. Unless you do map kiting of course