Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Approved Member

Default Wild Moment(s): Online or Offline?

I thought we could share with each other, some of our most wildest moments/happenings, flying on or offline in either Training, or anywhere else. Things that have only happened once, and were really amazing; that either made you squeal like a little girl because of the nervousness, or made you jump in your seat and just go, "Wow, did that really just happen?" Those kinda moments/happenings.

So I'll start.

Well, I was flying my trusty little La-5FN in training against some typical 109F4's on the Winter Stalingrad map, (haven't played in a couple weeks or so, and was getting back into things). Well, I was going up against seven or eight of them, swooping, zooming, turning, all the typical things. Well after downing a few until there were only two left. I went after the next one, when suddenly out from under me, nearly touching my nose hub (or so it looked) the second 109F4, shot right in front of me!! I just had that quick moment of a quick curse word, and then my glorious ShVAK 20mm Cannons opened up, and burst the 109F4 into flames. The other one, had already gone down (I dunno how?) but that moment when that second 109F4, popped up in front of me, gave my heart a bit of a jump. It has only happened to me once, but it was an amazingly wild moment.

So there's my wild moment, now what are some of yours?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

Playing sim mode online (before i gave up combat flying) i was watching someones 6, maybe pope as i know how he flies etc and we work well. Not to sure that it was this particular time though.

Anyway, the guy i was wingman to was engaged with a target and chasing him down etc while i stayed a little behind and watched his 6. After he killed his target he then went into level flight and proceeded back to the fight (his target had dragged us some way away).

On the way to the fight, not far off admiring the view etc......

Out of nowhere a 109 comes screaming down on his 6, but straight in between us, completely oblivious (surely??) that i was flying behind as a wingman.

It didnt half give me a fright lol.

Needless to say i opened up in my....... spitfire and did enough damage to make him stall before he did any damage to the guy i was flying cover for.

Not many of these moments happen online, but when they do.... they are great.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Just started playing IL-2 for xb360 yesterday, but have been a flight sim freak for quite some time.

Forgetting for now my glory days of battle formation when Combat Flight Sim 2 allowed me to control my wingmen only by pressing

A, AA, or R...

I had a pretty sweet nose-off with a BF109 (most likely late entry version) in my dirty little hurricane with 12 .30 calibre machine guns. I thought - hell yeah 12 MG would tear the wing off of anything. But the reality is that it almost tears the wings off the hurricane as the yaw takes you left and right and all around your target during sustained fire.

With little training in IL2 and a less than acceptable television for the game (not HD... so basically I shoot at pixels instead of airplanes) I quickly learned that engaging the enemy on my television is impossible in a furball. The reason is because you really have to swing in on the right path so that you obtain a firing angle for 1 or 2 seconds before (if you're trained) peeling off. Well I cant tell which way anything is turning until its too late, so I opted for head-on games of chicken with my 12 MG.

I found this BF109 playing scissors with me and so I dedided my hurricane might be able to out wing him. Luckily for me we matched turns and found each other in a windscreen vs windscreen battle to see who had the thicker glass.

My wingmate was coming in on top of me from behind. We were both talking about this BF109 as I pulled nose first into the 109's sights. He was heading slightly down angle so he had the speed advantage on me. I however, had the sky as backdrop and quickly lined him up.

It looked for a second he was pulling too low and that he was going to shave my cockpit clean off. I tried a quick yank of the elevator and my 12 MG took his undercarraige right off and he flew over my head in a burning fireball. My wingman said "Nice shot!" as we continued the hunt.

No time to look back at the glory, though - the fight was on.

DBQ
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

Sim Training over Dover harbour at 40 foot, caught the rudder stick by accident and span, recovered the spin in my 36ft, 10inch by 29ft 22inch supermarine with 4 foot to spare. i felt like god.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Approved Member

I was playing the Channel Dogfight mission offline, I was coming behind and from a little above on a 109 and opened up w my spits mgs in a really easy kill shot, after being satisfied that the hun was going to be heading straight down I started to peel off when I noticed that he was doing an absolutely perfect flat spin. I've only seen that happen once and it was pretty awesome, it was like a an airplane breakdancing in the sky and just hanging there, rapidly losing forward momentum and beginning to accumulate more and more downward motion, I had to keep my head on a swivel and watch regardless of bandits because it was just so cool.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

had my wild moment today... in an online dogfight with a total of 5 players, scored 3 kills against 2 guys that are very good and have shot me down countless times... don't know if they were letting me but i don't think so... their methods for evading attack when on their 6 seemed to repeat and i anticipated and it paid off... and if they did let me, good sport i say... if they come to this forum, you know who you are
Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Was playing the demo (getting full game tomorrow evening) and I seen a plane in the distance. I couldnt tell what its heading was, so I assumed I was lined up with it and began to fire. POW! He burst into flames and smoke.. But... Wait a second.

He was heading straight for me! So while saying "CRAP!" I jerked the plane hard port and just barely dodged the heap as it plummeted to the ground. I looked back for a second (i was in cockpit view the whole time), sighed, and moved on.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Approved Member

Was playing tonight team battle and most of the other team quit. It was Dover map and I normally land on jetty and harbour wall in that sittuatuation. For a change I decided to land on top of the White cliffs and see if I could roll off the cliff and put throttle on for pull up before hitting the sea. I tried a few spots but crashed at them all. Finally spotted a nice field leading up to cliff edge. Put my gear down and throttled back and started firing my guns for extra brakes. Was about to touch down when I realised there was a ridge right in front of me. Was too late and i hit it and lost my engine and gear. I was pulling up when this happened so I carried on gliding. Went over the cliff edge and continued pulling up with a nice 40 second controlled glide into the sea
Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Approved Member

I was fighting several FW 190As in practice mode in my La-7. I went into a climb with one chasing me & I realized I was gonna stall before he did. Somehow I managed to pull off a perfect hammerhead and shoot out his engine as he shot up past me! I felt particularly good, even though it was mostly luck!