Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend

King's Bounty: The Legend Real-time RPG with turn-based battles. Move through the fantasy world of fearless knights, evil mages and beautiful princesses.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Default Playing without DVD--how did I do this?

On my old computer, I somehow had it so I could play my retail copy of The Legend without the DVD in the drive. I thought maybe this had something to do with buying and installing Armored Princess (which I did via Steam), but on my new computer, I've done the same, installed The Legend and then installed Armored Princess, and it still requires the DVD to play The Legend.

I truly have no idea as to how I accidentally accomplished this, but as I have a laptop and don't want to carry a pile of DVDs with me, it was rather nice.

(I'm hoping The Legend perhaps becomes one of Steam's daily deals; I'd pick it up again just to have it on Steam and not need the DVD.)

Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Approved Member

It depends on which copy of of KBL you have and which patch you use. I purchased the atari copy (I'm in usa) when it first came out; and there were issues but atari did not release a patch (lucky for me I was not patient because it took them MONTHS to release it); but the folks here assure me that the offiical Russian patch worked just fine; that patch also removed dvd checked (I can check which version when I get home). Since the game rusn fine this way I've been reluctant to apply the final patch for fear it will re-instate dvd check.

Anyways if you have the atari version then one of the Russian patches will remove dvd check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Dylan View Post
On my old computer, I somehow had it so I could play my retail copy of The Legend without the DVD in the drive. I thought maybe this had something to do with buying and installing Armored Princess (which I did via Steam), but on my new computer, I've done the same, installed The Legend and then installed Armored Princess, and it still requires the DVD to play The Legend.

I truly have no idea as to how I accidentally accomplished this, but as I have a laptop and don't want to carry a pile of DVDs with me, it was rather nice.

(I'm hoping The Legend perhaps becomes one of Steam's daily deals; I'd pick it up again just to have it on Steam and not need the DVD.)

Any ideas?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Ah, that must be it! I must have had the good fortune of installing the correct Russian patch. I'll try installing the USA patch and see what it does. If it doesn't disable the DVD check, I can always uninstall and reinstall and find the patch that does.

Thanks very much. I love not having to worry about the DVD.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Well, I installed the latest US version, which was I think 1.7, and it didn't disable the check. Had a funny name, too. Mobulis or something.

So I guess there's no dice with the USA versions of the patches, even though I have the USA release of the game. Can't say as I blame them, but dang it, I'm hell-bent.

So, I've uninstalled, will reinstall from the DVD, and then try the Russian patches, starting from the newest, and hopefully get lucky!

I did it once before; otherwise I wouldn't have even known it was possible til I posted here.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 AM
Approved Member

Did you download the patch from here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4947
If it says Nobilis patch, then you download the wrong one.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

I think I got it from the King's Bounty site, but I must've somehow gotten the wrong one! I'll try this one. Thanks very much!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Approved Member

Nike --

Do you know when there will be a no-dvd patch for the atari version? Also will the Russian version 1.7 work with the atari version? I think I'm running 1.6.4 which runs fine; but wouldn't mind the balances for 1.7. Alas per this thread I don't really want to upgrade if it means I have to start using the dvd again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-it View Post
Did you download the patch from here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=4947
If it says Nobilis patch, then you download the wrong one.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Nike --

Do you know when there will be a no-dvd patch for the atari version? Also will the Russian version 1.7 work with the atari version? I think I'm running 1.6.4 which runs fine; but wouldn't mind the balances for 1.7. Alas per this thread I don't really want to upgrade if it means I have to start using the dvd again.
The Atari 1.7 patch allows you to play without DVD. The link is above.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Approved Member

Thanks! Hopefully it will work without reinstalling; but I can do that if needed I guess; should I uninstall the russian patch first; or uninstall the entire game and then install from dvd then 1.7 patch or just try the 1.7 patch with current install.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake21 View Post
Thanks! Hopefully it will work without reinstalling; but I can do that if needed I guess; should I uninstall the russian patch first; or uninstall the entire game and then install from dvd then 1.7 patch or just try the 1.7 patch with current install.
Not sure, but I think it will be better to reinstall the game and then patch it with appropriate 1.7.