Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Approved Member

Default trim ?

I just tryed sim mode in the turtorial and how do I trim my plan to get a smooth flight aim at the horizon and press A on the controller ?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Approved Member

That's it. Don't expect a smooth flight though. It'll still be bumpy.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

hmm thats what was making me think I did something wrong was abit used to arcade I played campain on arcade just for the story and such
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the Thread Birdsofmay.

I take the opportunity to ask a few questions about Trim ? I've never understand how to use that function Arrrgh. Since I had to spend 1 hour to get the concept of what "Trimming means", and now that I fairly understood, I can't use it for those reasons:
- I can't succeed setting the Trim with the deadzone of the Aviator. It is always going up or down
- Everytime I do succeed to set him, it useful during 3 minutes as long as you don't change the throlle or flap, altitiude...etc....
- The button is so faraway on the Saitek
=> So I finally got bored of the trim and I find planes are flying go enough with out

Questions:
- Does someone really use it offline ?? linked: Does someone properly know how to set trim with a flight stick on X360 ? Can you explain to me

- Do you use it Online because we are always turning, changing speed, dogfighting etc ?

Thank a lot for your answer.

Last edited by Benrizz; 10-08-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benrizz View Post
Thanks for the Thread Birdsofmay.

I take the opportunity to ask a few questions about Trim ? I've never understand how to use that function Arrrgh. I had to spend 1 hour to get the concept what Trimming means, now I fairly understood I can't use it.

So I don"t use it very often for those number of reasons.
- I can't succeed setting the Trim with the deadzone of the Aviator. It is always going up or down
- Everytime I do succeed to set him, it useful during 3 minutes as long as you don't change the throlle or flap, altitiude...etc....
- The button is so faraway on the Saitek
=> So I finally got bored of the trim and I find planes are flying go enough with out

Questions:
- Does someone really use it offline ?? linked: Does someone properly know how to set trim with a flight stick on X360 ? Can you explain to me
I will try to in today if I can finaly get my internett on xbox runnin again
- Do you use it Online because we are always turning, changing speed, dogfighting etc ? Maybe strike as a heavy or med bomber

Thank a lot for your answer.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Approved Member

Even if you set the trim, you'll still sway up and down a lot on sim. Just to make it more 'realistic'. As far as my experience goes the trim isn't too accurate either.. when I press the trim button with the course indicator on the horizon it'll still go up or down. For this reason I hardly use it online. It doesn't have that much effect on flying.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Approved Member

I found that once you use it once you have to keep using it. A lot. It's better to just never touch it I think.

And I don't ever recall using it online.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

my internett works again I will see you in the skies soon but first cod 5 with my lil bro
Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Approved Member

I usually set it once at the beginning of a life, then don't touch it (unless I die and respawn). When I start a life, I punch it up to full throttle, then set a level-ish trim attitude. People should also retrim for landings to avoid a nose-heavy feeling and struggling with the landing flare.

It's too complicated in-game to use it constantly and I find the whole trim concept in this game annoying. You'll never be able to trim it out perfectly, like you would in an actual plane, simply because you don't have the fine controls required to trim properly.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Approved Member

Trim makes an airplane maintain a constant airspeed. When you set an aircraft's trim in level flight it will maintain altitude because your airspeed is not changing. This is very hard to do on the game with my ace edge because of the deadzone...I can't make small enough corrections to get it right. As soon as your altitude, bank angle, power setting changes, a different amount of trim is required fir the new airspeed. For example, if I'm flying level at 200kts and have the aircraft trimmed and it's mainting altitude that means it's trimmed to maintain 200kts. If I reduce power, the aircraft will nose down and descend because it's trying to re obtain 200kts. Therefore if I reduce power and want to maintain altitude, I have to retrim for a lower airspeed.

As far is online gameplay, I don't mess with the trim much. If you trim it for ful WEP when you spawn, extra back pressure will be required when you slow down during the dogfight. If the trim wheels on the ace edge were calibrated to actually work instead of pressing a button for 'auto-trim' trimming would be more effective