Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Default Why am I so bad at online multiplayer?

So the other day I played against some guy in 1v1 realistic dogfight matches (because this was the ONLY MATCH available online at the time). I managed to score 0 kills on him while I was shot down at least 6 times in both matches. We were both flying Spit IXs and every time we engaged I tried to maneuver behind him but no matter what I did I always ended up with him on my tail rather than the other way around.

I guess that playing with more people would give me more of a chance to take people down, but it seems that the time when I was playing, the bulk of the community must have been asleep or at work because it was just me and that guy online.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
So the other day I played against some guy in 1v1 realistic dogfight matches (because this was the ONLY MATCH available online at the time). I managed to score 0 kills on him while I was shot down at least 6 times in both matches. We were both flying Spit IXs and every time we engaged I tried to maneuver behind him but no matter what I did I always ended up with him on my tail rather than the other way around.

I guess that playing with more people would give me more of a chance to take people down, but it seems that the time when I was playing, the bulk of the community must have been asleep or at work because it was just me and that guy online.
ok sometimes it pays to drop your throttle down a bit that way you can turn a bit quicker also if you dive a bit you will cut into his turn and hopefully get his six

if he is on your six and quite close another thing you could try is to fly straight for a bit and shut of the throttle compleatly and as he wizz past wack the throttle back on

try practise split s and immelmans turn they come in handy in a dog fight
hope this helps
Old 10-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Approved Member

Have you reduced elevator sensitivity to the point where you can pull the stick the maximum without stalling? That can really give you an edge if the other guy is turning gently to avoid stalls. Just remember to turn it back up if you join an arcade game lol.

Also, I like to hard brake into a turn and full throttle out. I'm sure some of the guys on here who know a hell of a lot more about flying than me will tell me thats a bad idea, but I find it's the closest thing to a handbrake turn a plane can do.

Throttle out of a turn seems counter-intuitive, but it makes your wings apply lift - lifting you round rather than up.

I know sometimes you don't have a choice, but a 1v1 is a lot harder then when there's multiple targets. It's easier to sneak up on someone who's trying to kill someone else >:]

Last edited by InfiniteStates; 10-08-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Approved Member

I only fly the 109s (because I'm trying to rack up enough kills for the 109K), and I'm a pretty lousy pilot -- so if you want to kill someone in "Science Fiction Mode" , um -- I mean "Arcade Mode", while flying that Spit -- just invite me

Seriously though, I agree 100% with what these other guys are saying. I've told myself 100 times, "No more Arcade for this guy" -- but I always get sucked back in because a lot of times its the only thing going on -- and since I'm too lazy to switch my sensitivities back up (I leave them set for realistic) -- and I'm flying against I-153s on steroids, and La-5s with alien technology under the hood -- I get killed, or maybe, "slaughtered" would be a better term.

Maybe I'm not a "lousy" pilot -- just a "Lazy" pilot.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Approved Member

Was the guy you were playing me?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try turning down elevator sensitivity then, since I haven't touched it at all. Anyone know what the best amount is for a Spit to keep the turn rate at max?

I don't really want to play on Arcade - I'd rather play on Realistic or Simulator but since there are rarely any games at all when I play I'll take what I can get. I am on PSN by the way.

GaZ -- Umm... I'm not really sure. I tried speeding up, slowing down, turning... I'm by no means any good but no matter what I did this guy always ended up behind me. If it was you then good job but I hate you.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

Put the sensitivity 5 clicks down for the spit. Now you will still have max turn rate. But if you are not going fast,you will stall in a tight turn.
So if you dont like this, put it 6 clicks down, and it will be a very rookie friendly flight (and you wont really notice the turn difference between 5 and 6)
Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby D View Post
I'm gonna try turning down elevator sensitivity then, since I haven't touched it at all. Anyone know what the best amount is for a Spit to keep the turn rate at max?

I don't really want to play on Arcade - I'd rather play on Realistic or Simulator but since there are rarely any games at all when I play I'll take what I can get. I am on PSN by the way.
I turn it down 6 notches for the Spitfire MkII, but listen to MorgothNL - by all accounts he's rather good. Oh, and try and stay off the rudder And if I'm dogfighting in simulator I will switch controls to aviator as well (press square on the options page) - this lets you look around without pressing R3, which is essential IMO. You can't land or use a bomber turret for sh*t with this scheme however.

Also, if you want some simulator practise, send me a friends invite. I'm on every night - but put IL2 in the message or something, cos I tend to reject random invites I'm not a big fan of realistic as much because it's just an annoying permutation of arcade (i.e. follow the arrow) with a higher tendancy to stall (because you have no manual flaps).

But I'm more than happy to do some 1v1 training if there's no other sim players kicking around...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteStates View Post
I turn it down 6 notches for the Spitfire MkII, but listen to MorgothNL - by all accounts he's rather good.
I used to turn it 6 down as well. But many people are getting better at this game , so now I have it on 5 notches down, just to get the edge against a spit with 6 notches down.
It does take practice, after 1 full 360, you will stall if you keep the yoke fully aft.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Approved Member

Because until youve played me you have no true yardstick of badness against which to judge yourself.