Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Approved Member

Default Anyone in here ever play Airwarrior?

That's what I was hoping the online experience would be like in this game. It isn't exactly what I was looking for - but it is good on its own merits.

But - in Airwarrior (I used to play the first one on AOL and then Gamestorm), you'd select a base to take off from. You had to take off and land.

Bases would have flak turrets for defenses.
Bases could be destroyed.
Neutral bases could be captured and used by a team - and enemies could re-capture the base. This was done with transport planes and paratroopers.

Bases could be re-supplied.

You could drive tanks and jeeps and trucks. Sometimes people with A LOT of patience would drive a tank all the way to an enemy base and park right behind the runway. They would then gun down any spawning plane before it had a chance to take off. People would get smart and take off from another base, and drop a bomb on it.

4+ hour bombing missions in a fully manned B17-G Flying Fortress was common. There was the ability to text chat to just your crew, just your team, or globally to all players in the server.

Flying under 200ft made you off the radar.

You could take off and land on Aircraft Carriers in the Pacific.

When out of gas - you could glide into a emergency landing either in the water or on the ground.

If your landing gear was damaged, you could emergency land on the ground and scrape along the way.

You could bail out of your plane and decide when to deploy your chute. Deploy the chute too high and you have a nice long 40 minute landing. Deploy the chute too low - break your legs.

People could shoot you down when you were under the chute canopy.

There were neat mountain ranges you could fly into and maneuver around to lose enemies from your tail.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things - but airwarrior truly was an amazing game.

I never got into Airwarrior 2 or 3 - and now the series is KAPUT.

I believe a lot of the people are now playing something called Aces High 2.

Airwarrior will have a special place in my heart, though.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Approved Member

Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

Yes it was amazing i played I, II, and III. on AOL and gamestorm, dB(A) was my father and he flew with the Kraits, and I was Vorbis who created the 202nd Exorcists Fighter Bomber Squadron with (Hoju) The Priest. And I also flew with the Kraits, who incidentally made the skin pack and ground textures you are seeing in that video.

IL-2 Devs could learn ALOT from that game.

wish it was still around with better graphics. Another benefit was ETO and PTO servers and max players off 200 to 250. NOTHING has that any more.

Aces High II is good but looking dated, most people left AH2 to play IL-2 which on the PC is amazing but also starting to look dated. that is why IL-2 BoP is such an epic fail, they bastardised it for the console, and got lazy and dropped important things like bombsights and gunning positions.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

I think I'd be very happy if IL-2 Sturmovik BOP took even half of their stuff from Airwarrior.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Approved Member

i agree! especially capturing airfield airfields with paratroopers from c-47's.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Yes!! I was utterly obessed with Air warrior I,II,III. My parents literally resorted to buying a second phone line for me to play on because I was always playing as a young teen and tying up the phone line. I haven't played any flight sims since air warrior because I haven't been willing to buy a powerful enough PC to run some of the newer games effectively. Overall I'm thrilled with BOP but in some ways the multiplayer experience can never compare...
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by House MD 221B View Post
i agree! especially capturing airfield airfields with paratroopers from c-47's.
Did you fly relaxed realism or full realism? European Theatre or Pacific?

I used to play relaxed in Europe mainly.

And I'd like it if BoP had everyone start with taking off from their airfield. Airfields should have flak turrets for defense - and multiple airfields to take off from.

Granted - it might not suit the console players that like the quick action of enter the game and start shooting - but I would definitely prefer it myself.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL83 View Post
Did you fly relaxed realism or full realism? European Theatre or Pacific?

I used to play relaxed in Europe mainly.

And I'd like it if BoP had everyone start with taking off from their airfield. Airfields should have flak turrets for defense - and multiple airfields to take off from.

Granted - it might not suit the console players that like the quick action of enter the game and start shooting - but I would definitely prefer it myself.
Have you played IL2 on PC? No stress on any computer, unless it's from the '90's, and has the features you want .
Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

I used to play RR on Europe mostly. I agree with SL83, I wish it was an option to make respawns on the ground. Sometimes the spawns are annoying, especially when playing 1 on 1. After earning a kill a lot of times the enemy will spawn 1000ft above and directly behind me and I have a huge disadvantage immediately, sometimes I won't even have time to turn around and face them before they're firing a burst into me. A lot of the strategy of gaining altitude for bombing/BnZ tactics doesn't work with the instant action spawn setting.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Have you played IL2 on PC? No stress on any computer, unless it's from the '90's, and has the features you want .
IL-2 1946?

I have it. Haven't tried it yet.

Only problem is I have to go out and buy a new flight stick and rudder pedals that are USB.

The other thing is - where my computer is and where my 42 inch HDTV is - it won't be an easy setup to play. And I'd rather the 42 inch HDTV than the 20inch flatpanel.