Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War > Men of War: Assault Squad

Men of War: Assault Squad Sequel to the critically acclaimed real-time tactics game Men of War

Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Approved Member

Default Men Of War : Assault Squad performance problems

Hello everyone,

I always been a world war two 'fan' and then i discovered this game and i instantly fell in love with him. I buy it with a friend who likes strategy games too and we started to play but something wrong is happening, i have a Quad Core Q6600, an ATI 4890 HD, and i cant play this game maxed out or even at medium / low settings, i always get crappy fps. I play some other RTS and there is no problem. Something is wrong cause my computer is not that bad, someone has the same problem or know what is wrong ? thanks, this game without this stupid lag would be perfect.

Cheers

Last edited by arpeggi; 03-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

Something must be wrong with your system for I am able to play the MoW AS demo on my Xeon E5410 (2.33GHz) + 9800GT system at max with no problems with a display of 1280x1024. What is your screen size and resolution?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Approved Member

My Screen is 1400x900, but i play at a lower resolution, i cant play with my native resolution, i know that something is wrong, i just dont know what
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Approved Member

Someone can Help ?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Approved Member

RTS games like MoW are CPU and GPU dependent so you might want to try cleaning up your system and try to make sure nothing else is using your CPU unnecessarily while you are playing; un-install any unused programs (especially if your hard drive is almost full), defrag your hard drive, turn off any unnecessary programs running in the background to avoid losing CPU cycles, update your video and audio drivers if you have not done so in awhile, and you might even want to consider reformatting & re-installing Windows to ensure you remove any leftover crap if your Windows install is 1-2 years old.

What version of Windows are you running? You might actually find slightly better performance switching to another version, for example if you are using Vista, Windows 7 or even XP would be slightly better.

Another thing you can try is to overclock your CPU and GPU but being able to do so depends on if you have an OEM desktop system (e.g., DELL) or a custom-built system. The Q6600 is known to be a great overclocer, so you might be able to increase it by another 500 MHz or 1 GHz even using the stock cooler. And as you probably know, overclocking can in some cases damage the CPU and/or GPU if not done correctly. What is your system make and model? Do you know what MB you have?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Approved Member

Patch 1 should help with the performance issues.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razputin View Post
The Q6600 is known to be a great overclocer, so you might be able to increase it by another 500 MHz or 1 GHz even using the stock cooler. And as you probably know, overclocking can in some cases damage the CPU and/or GPU if not done correctly.
If you can't gain 800+ mhz out of your overclock then don't bother, the performance increase will not be significant enough to improve your gaming experience.

Shadow complexity, effects and the water shader significantly affect performance so try to keep those down if you want higher FPS.

Resolution should be minimum 1200x800. Anything lower will most likely not yield performance increase and may even decrease performance. The HD4xxx and higher do not like very low resolutions for some reason. My HD4870's like to run at 14x9 or 16x10... 19x12 is usually a little too high, depending on the game ofc... they like it just fine in HL2.

AA, you should get away with 2x, but if you're pining for every fps then simply turn it off, and make sure it's off in your CCC aswell.

Texture resolution is usually of no consequence to performance, and only affects your available video memory. The HD4890 has plenty of memory and plenty of shader power to run at max texture resolution.

One more thing...

You should not expect stellar performance with your system, especially on Carentan... only on very rare occasions have I seen a game/map that ran like such a dog as Carentan does.

My specs:

Intel 2600K
HD 6970 2G
DDR3 2000 4G

On carentan my lowest fps is 35, with everything turned on. Average fps is about 60. I wouldn't be surprised if the FPs dipped below 35 if I do something like say... cause a huge explosions in the centre of town.

So in closing: You SHOULD be able to get more performance out of your system, BUT not very MUCH more performance. Your system will only run "perfectly smooth" on SOME of the maps, not all, and you may have to give up on some eye candy to achieve that.

MOW AS really need to have some optimization done to it, because this game should run a lot faster than it does.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

And there is nothing wrong with updating your PC just for a game, I have done it twice. gimmyabreak's PC would be a nice upgrade for you...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Default I get really bad lagg too

Im glad i found this thread. I have recently got MOW AS and i cant believe the lag i get from it. I have a Phenom x4 9950, 4GB, and 4870 1gb. I can play most games at decent framerates with high to highish settings and i always use 1680x1050 resolution.

Well i played MOW AS beta and i occaionally experienced some bad lag but that was usually because one of my cpu processes had got jammed on 100%. Besides this i used to host games alot and could host matches of 10 players not a problem most of the time.

Now i have the retail version and my god the FPS sucks and i get constant lagg and "finding server" errors. Ive tried lowering the video settings and it hasnt made much difference.

My PC spec absolutely smashes past the recommended system requirements so why is this happening? Im getting really fed up playing the game because it just starts lagging so bad at some point it just ruins it.

Im surely not expecting too much to be able to run it smoothly am I?

Also some other poster on here typed his spec and he says he has a 2600k with a 6890 if i remember right? Thats got to be one of the most powerfull single card gaming rigs around right now with that sandybridge cpu and he says he still ocassionally gets lag?

It has to be just terrible programming from the game creators?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

Key is whether you get that performance drop in skirmishes or all maps even mp, if its skirmishes then most likely its something tied to ai/paths etc bound to cpu.