Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: What should flights be called in the menus (& file system)?
Mission (*.mis) 11 37.93%
Sortie (*.srt) 10 34.48%
Something neutral (*.flt) 0 0%
I don't care 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avala View Post
Why not? Or it could be English expression as international and also each nation its own word for it. Of course simulation should be translated in entirety for that. We already have something similar in IL2 FB . . .
Hmmm, you noticed that there are different file-formats suggested? Think about having to make new missions, campaigns and tracks for each patch released. Not funny, IMHO.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Who cares?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Approved Member

Mission seem's just fine for me...was the word sortie used by Britain during Bob?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

It's getting a bit hard on Aviminus here...just wanted to say that I like most of his posts.
This one isn't "stupid" either. I just think that the game will most probably be in english anyway.
It could be nice though to hear correct expressions in the radio chatter of each nation. IL2 is ok "soso" right now when it comes to german....Truly impressed in the time I was (suprisingly) by the old Medal of Honor shooter (first parts on the PS1). That was amazingly correct german, even with typical words of the 30's and 40's. I don't know where they had found those guys, but they had done an excellent job.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Approved Member

German's used the word Einsatz for missions/sorties and Auftrag for mission/sortie briefing so it all could be very complicated if we want it to be.
Current media reports still refer to US Military combat sorties in Iraq which strengthens the claim for use of sortie. But in the end mission is generally accepted for a single operation involving a group or single aircraft.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Approved Member

SOW is about BOB, right?
Only the Americans called them missions, and they werent in BOB !
The RAF called them sorties, and (less formally) "trips" or "ops". Any of these terms would do, as would the German (or Italian?) equivalents. But not "mission" !
Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_fat View Post
SOW is about BOB, right?
Only the Americans called them missions, and they werent in BOB !
The RAF called them sorties, and (less formally) "trips" or "ops". Any of these terms would do, as would the German (or Italian?) equivalents. But not "mission" !

Hi. You seem to be forgetting that "The Americans" are not the ones who named the missions in Il2 " *.mis "

"The Americans" had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the Germans and the Soviets didn't use the term "Mission" on the Eastern front, and yet 1C:Maddox Games, a Russian company, saw fit to use the term "Mission"

Now, as far a the term "mission" goes, I can't see how the naming convention matters. If you'd look at the actual question addressed by the poll, you'd see that the extensions are listed:

.mis
.srt
.flt

That is how the sim reads the nuts and bolts so to speak, of the missions. For example, when I make a campaign, the missions must be in a list as follows, with each name before the .mis corresponding to the correct files, so the mission will play:

nameofmission1.mis
nameofmission2.mis
nameofmission3.mis

So I really can't understand why the fuss is being made over the naming convention used by the simulation to identify files. I really can't understand why anyone gives a damn; those extensions are not used for voices or in mission briefings; those extensions are 100% for the benefit of the code- when the sim reads the list and sees ".mis", it knows those files are for a single mission to be generated, corresponding to the name before the ".mis"

This naming convention does not cause the sim to generate any terms at all, whether or not they were used by "the Americans". I'm a little concerned over the immediate assumption that Americans have one bloody thing to do with this use of the term "mission"- the Russians who made the damn sim did it

Now as far as "Americans" not being part of the Battle of Britain, the members of the Eagle Squadrons would beg to differ, but that's plainly observable history, not a topic of debate. But I really cannot understand this hub-bub over the term "mission". The use of this term actually offends? I do not believe it. And if by some chance it actually produces some type of ill feeling, try blaming the Russians who made the sim, not "Americans" who use the term "mission". That's just silliness. This is absurd on many levels. If Maddox Games chooses the term "mission", are you honestly going to be unhappy? And are you also forgetting that the name of the sim is not "Battle of Britain: Battle of Britain"?

The name of the sim is "Storm of War:Battle of Britain". The BoB is simply the first installment. You do realize that you are arguing that the entire simulation series get something like ".ops" as a convention for the whole series, of which only one segment will be covering the Battle of Britian? What makes the British term more suitable than the American one in that light? The fact that somehow an "American" naming convention will always be "wrong"?

Such short sightedness on one hand, and such a tempest in a teacup on the other

What does it matter what the missions get as an extension? They can name them "nameofmission.bhs", with ".bhs" standing for "Big Ham Sandwich" for the amount I give a damn. Just so long as it works, what does it matter?

Last edited by Former_Older; 05-01-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
That post looks to me like a complete waste of time.
If you like such posts please by all means, come here;

http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/

We luv it!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Older View Post
Hi. You seem to be forgetting that "The Americans" are not the ones who named the missions in Il2 " *.mis "

"The Americans" had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the Germans and the Soviets didn't use the term "Mission" on the Eastern front, and yet 1C:Maddox Games, a Russian company, saw fit to use the term "Mission"
I would disagree. The industry naming convention was generally established as "mission" prior to Oleg entering the scene in the year 2000.

A quick stop at Migman's aviation museum (compressing series, ignoring scifi or mercenary themes, and ignoring a couple of cases) shows that during the 1990s:
- At least 47 flight sims had essentially American only content (and were mainly produced by American teams)
- 14 had some U.K. content (does not include apache simulators or late model harriers)
- 12 have some Russian themed content
- 6 are world war one era (and not included above)
- 3 had notable international content

It seems to me that this strongly supports the idea Mission is primarily an American naming convention and has become the norm due to American influence in the industry.

I do agree that it doesn't necessarily make sense to use Commonwealth mission extensions either. I do think correct menus would likely be appropriate in this installment, though. The language is a relatively trivial issue, and as I said, my goal was to see what other people thought.

To think about it, though, the American influence is a bit less trivial: No one considered making a sim about the Great Patriotic War except a few early modders. Almost no one had heard about it, it wasn't considered commercial or even of significant historical interest. At least not until a Russian team decided to do it.

Now that this team has moved on to other stories from the war it is good to keep this issue in mind. I'm not against making another eighth or another pacific sim or trying to diminish the American war effort. But there are things like the night war that need to be covered. Il-2 did so much to get Russian history more widely known its hard not to have hopes that they will manage to do it for ours (Commonwealth) as well.

S!

-Avimimus
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
It's getting a bit hard on Aviminus here...just wanted to say that I like most of his posts.
Thanks

I admit that I do come up with some stupid ideas sometimes though...