Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Approved Member

Default Stationary Wonder Woman Crosshair Mod

Hi all,
This mod is very simple -it replaces the dynamic crosshair (with the moving piper) in the "Wonder Woman" view with something more like a real crosshair:

To use it you'll first need to install Keyetys's SFS Mod tool which you can download here. Follow the instructions in the readme.html which explain where to put the dll and how to edit your Launcher.exe.config so that it's loaded.

Then download the crosshair mod from here to your desktop and unzip it. You should see a folder called "mods". Copy that folder into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder.

Finally, right click the game in Steam and select "Properties" followed by "Set Launch Options". Paste the following text into the box:

-mod=mods\wwgenericreticle

...and click "OK". That's it! When you launch the game you should now find that the WW crosshair has been replaced.

Additional Notes:
1. Although Luthier's explained that only those using cheats like transparent plane textures in multiplayer risk a ban, it might be wisest to disable the mod before joining a multiplayer game anyway just in case it's erroneously detected as a cheat. To do this, simply delete the text you added to the launch options in Steam and the mod will then be ignored the next time you start the game.

2. I wanted to duplicate the actual size and shape of the crosshairs for each aircraft in the WW view, but unfortunately this wasn't possible due to the way the game uses certain areas of the texture (if they're present) as a moving piper. My hope is that eventually the devs will add an option to display the real crosshairs in this view, making this mod redundant.

Cheers,
DD
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Approved Member

"erroneously detected as a cheat"?

This is a cheat if used online. No question about it.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

thank u so much!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
"erroneously detected as a cheat"?

This is a cheat if used online. No question about it.
You've misunderstood what this mod does m8 -it simply changes the reticle in the Wonder Woman view from a dynamic one with a moving piper (which helps you allow for the movement of your aircraft when aiming) to a stationary one (more like the actual crosshairs in the real aircraft). In other words it's actually a disadvantage to use it .

If you're playing multiplayer and the server has the option to force cockpits to always be displayed selected, this mod won't bypass that.
Cheers,
DD
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
You've misunderstood what this mod does m8
I don't think I do. It's quite clear what this mod does.
Even if you had removed the cross hair altogether, mods of this type amount to cheating if used online; detection as such would not be "erroneously".

Hopeful this kind of thing will be sorted out when there is some proper mod support.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDastardly View Post
You've misunderstood what this mod does m8
Sorry mate but i dont get it..

Are you saying that this crosshair wouldnt give you an advantage over using the site with the small pipper on it? if you indeed used cockpit off etc?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post

Are you saying that this crosshair wouldnt give you an advantage over using the site with the small pipper on it? if you indeed used cockpit off etc?
Well, if I understood this MOD correctly and if I understood what you are trying to say, I would claim that this MOD gives you actually a DISSADVANTAGE because it removes the small pipper and leaves you with the big pipper only...

I make no comments on the point (MOD or No-MOD), I just wanted to make the point that you are interpreting at the wrong direction...

~S~
Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze-Jamz View Post

The mod is primarily aimed (no pun intended) at home cockpit builders like myself who don't always use the virtual cockpit as we're sitting in a real physical one. I always found the dynamic aiming aid in the default "Wonder Woman" view a bit of an immersion killer as it's more appropriate for the HUD of a modern fighter jet than a WWII aircraft.

The modded version simply replaces it with a more realistic stationary crosshair so, like 335th_GRAthos says, using it is actually a handicap as you'll lose the dynamic pipper which normally gives you an ahistorical advantage when using this view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
I don't think I do. It's quite clear what this mod does.
Even if you had removed the cross hair altogether, mods of this type amount to cheating if used online; detection as such would not be "erroneously".

Hopeful this kind of thing will be sorted out when there is some proper mod support.
Again, just to clarify, if you were to connect to a server which has "Cockpit always on" selected in the realism settings then this mod would have no effect whatsoever -you'd be unable to access the No Cockpit view and would be locked in the Virtual Cockpit view (just like anyone who didn't have it installed).

The mod would only change anything in an online game if you're flying on a server which doesn't have "Cockpit always on" selected. In this case, you'll be able to access the No Cockpit view (like everyone else on the server) but whereas those without the mod will see a dynamic aiming reticle like that in a modern fighter jet, you'll only see a stationary WWII-style one.

Luthier's already stated that any VAC bans etc will distinguish between mods intended to give you an unfair advantage (e.g. changing FM parameters) and mods which don't (like the mod which disabled SSAO, or this one). Having said that, nobody really knows at this stage how reliable the cheat detection code will be in determining which category any given mod falls into so, as I said in the OP, it's probably best to disable the mod when playing online just to be on the safe side.
Cheers,
DD

Last edited by DickDastardly; 05-20-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Did anyone tried to attach this crosshair to a tank or an AAA gun? That would be a breakthrough in gameplay.

Then we can ask the devs to include it in the official version and switch on tank and AAA controls (keys for which we can already assign in control settings). I am sure tanks are perfectly drivable right now as a tank can be considered as an extremely heavy aircraft in terms of flight model ))

But the devs do not want to make them drivable untill they (or a 3rd party ) make some very good looking cockpits for them. Crosshair gunsite + external views can be a temporary solution to this allowing to drive tanks in WoT style ))
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDastardly View Post
Again, just to clarify, if you were to connect to a server which has "Cockpit always on" selected in the realism settings then this mod would have no effect whatsoever
Yes! I know!