Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

Thrustmaster plan a new HOTAS:

Probable with HALL sensor like in T.16000M.
A-10 means dual throttle...

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 10-15-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Approved Member

I've been flying with the g940 for the last few weeks, and I can assure you that it's been rock solid with no problems on my end. If you want force feedback it's the only way to go right now and you won't be disappointed.

Frenchfly
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Approved Member

Well, maybe I should go CH... But the problem would be the rudder. The pedals may be good, but cost the same as the joystick. Throttle isn't THAT necessary, as I can do it with the one built-in FighterStick

Maybe the FFB isn't THAT necessary (and now I've just realized that I don't recall feeling any force feedback effect in the Su-30 simulator). As the buttons x hats, well, I'm more into the hats, as I've been going over the dark side (read "modern jets") very oftenly, and played such games even more than IL-2, recently.

It's a hell of a hard choice, still

The games I've been playing recently are only Lock On and IL-2.

Nearmiss, what do you mean by extra expenses with the Cougar? Is there anything that has to be changed on it?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Global Moderator

The Cougar is competent, but there are problems with gimbels and the inner workings of it. You should check around on Falcon 4.0 boards (Simhq) and ask questions there, if you are thinking about a Cougar. In fact, I recalll there was a company selling replacement gimbels,throttle pots and stuff for around $250 US.

The CHproducts pedals can be bought for around $100US, if you shop.

Chproducts are quality construction. When you are putting your big heavy feet and legs on them you need quality construction.

You'll never regret a CHproduct purchase. I doubt you'll read a bad report on their products either.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the answers, guys.

$250 for pots and stuff?! Holy f***! It's almost a brand new G940 (at least I saw it being selled by $273 on Amazon).

I guess Cougar's out then...

But, if I actually get a FighterStick or something, what do you guys think I should use for rudder? I don't think I can get the pedals and stick at the same time, so it might be an issue.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

You will need rudder pedals with the CH Fighterstick because its not a twist stick. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the poor transistion thru the X and Y axis of the CH gimbals.

If I were you I would spend the extra monies and buy a full setup. You won't regret it in the long run. I don't have the Logitech G940 but its one I'm very interested it.

For those that do have the G940 does it use electrical centering forces or spring centering, and how smooth are the gimbals going thru the X and Y axis.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the poor transistion thru the X and Y axis of the CH gimbals.
I don't think it is that poor, but if you pay attention you will notice. I've not noticed how much it affects virtual performance.

If you had to rate the fighterstick, how would you rate it with 100% being the best of the best.

I would easily rate it a 95+%. I would prefer not to have the sliders on the sides of the stick, because you can't use them with your hand on the stick in combat. You can't take your hand off the stick and, if your left hand is busy as well with other things on the prothrottle.

IMO, it would be best to have some extra slider switches on the prothrottle. This way you could slide for trim, instead of bumping a switch to do the work.

You have to remember that there is a slow response (delay) on the pitch trim in IL2 after all the online wars over "trim on a slider". That screws the pooch another way. LOL
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
You will need rudder pedals with the CH Fighterstick because its not a twist stick. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like the poor transistion thru the X and Y axis of the CH gimbals.

If I were you I would spend the extra monies and buy a full setup. You won't regret it in the long run. I don't have the Logitech G940 but its one I'm very interested it.

For those that do have the G940 does it use electrical centering forces or spring centering, and how smooth are the gimbals going thru the X and Y axis.

I'm sure your not the only one. I was startled at the feeling in the beginning and compared to the other sticks was something I didn't like. It didn't take long to get used to and now I barely notice it. Funny though. I recently went for almost a month without flying and it took me a few minutes to acclimate myself to the center, and is one of the reasons I'd mention the 'transition' to someone looking at CH. I'd stress that it doesn't take long to get used to it, but it feels different than what you'd expect, and in all honesty it's that difference between the expectation of how all other sticks feel while transitioning across the center and how CH feels that causes the 'discomfort.' Once I realised that it's just mechanically different I was determined to go with the flow. It didn't take long.

As a matter of fact you are the only person I've ever read about who couldn't get used to the transitioning, chivas. It's important to be comfortable with what you fly with.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Approved Member

Your probably right, as I never gave CH much of a chance, and may have gotten used to it.

I'm currently using a
MSFF2 joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals

with back up sticks.
Cougar
CH Fighter Stick
Saitek Aviator
X52 ( oh ya I forget I took a sledge hammer to it )

But I'm interested in the G940, but I'd hate to give up my Cougar Throttle and Foxy Programming. Although you can mix and match joysticks and throttles as neccessary. Unfortunately you'd have to set some Hotas parts under the desk, Although you can just take the cct. board out of the peripheral your not using as I did with the Cougar joystick. Someday I may find an appropriate U joint and make a gimbal for the Cougar.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Approved Member

Default Sweet

I will +1 to CH. The stick is loose feeling but so far great. Fighter stick, someone mentioned you need big hands, its true. I can't reach all the buttons and hats, but I've learned to move my hand positions w/out skipping a beat to hit all the buttons.

The pedals are excellent, only complaint is the foot placement should've been a little wider. I think CH was catering to the ladies . But its smooth and IL-2 translates oh so awesome to rudder.

The throttle is great also. I thought, 'nah I can use the throttle on the fighter stick' but decided to get it anyway (save shipping) and due to recommendations from CH hotas users' postings. Whats cool is the extra buttons and hats on the throttle really help with adding more flight necessary controls at your finger tips.

What I like about CH is the smoothness and feel. They translate very well to IL-2. I have Il-2 on 100% sensitivity and I can fly easy. I like the feel of the pedals and its so much better than the twist on joysticks. Twist on joysticks for rudder is like having soy tofu meat as opposed to CH pedals for rudder, a filet mignon when you have beef cravings.

Only thing lacking are trim wheels on throttle but you can get over that with CH programming.

CH allows you to use the joystick straight out of the box (XP has settings in game controllers in control panel and you can configure there and in IL-2 hotas settings) or you can get the CH control manager software and program as much as you want for those wanting to delve into that.

In this I found out that its better to program using CH control manager software as you can get more out of your CH set up.

It's well worth the price tag and warranty is long (2 yrs).

With my previous joystick (logitech) 70% sensitivity was bouncing around the place (I like my control settings sensitive, a carry over for max mouse sensitivity from FPS days).

Also I ran into several posts in the 'zoo and CH hanger where people still use the gameport versions and been using same equipment today that predated IL-2.

Not only that, a friend works for the govt with UAV's programming teams and the UAV crews use CH stuff to fly them around.

That would be sick / cool / awesome / tight / fresh / tits if the HOTAS warthog gave every sim you used it with an avenger gatling gun in game like Chuck Norris mere presence includes his uber roundhouse kick.

Last edited by hiro; 10-16-2009 at 10:30 AM.