Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capwn View Post
Hello again tk471138, I'm glad to hear you're seeing good results with the new driver! AA does not currently function properly, although it seems setting it to 2x sometimes results in some AA but it's more of a performance hit than what it's worth (if it was implemented correctly this wouldn't be the case). However VSync does work properly as far as I understand it; I can't vouch for it personally as I don't use VSync but I've read on the forums that many here use it successfully.

Regarding the AMD CPU, you will find that it will be the bottleneck in games that don't have proper multithreading support as it's not particularly powerful while running on only one core. Although you will find that DX11 titles have absolutely excellent multithreading support (among other excellent performance enhancing features) and will run great on your AMD processor as it's much better in a heavy multithreading environment.

One trick you may find interesting is that in cases of a CPU bottleneck, you can try actually increasing certain graphics settings and you may find your performance increases as more load is put on the GPU. I would say first run the "Black Death" track on your current settings (no VSync) and then try turning all your settings to max (except SSAO and VSync) and run the track again and observe the change in fps/smoothness.

The function to enable in game FPS counter is "START FPS SHOW" (I believe it needs to be all caps and you may need to bind a key for the console in the options under Controls -> Game) and to restart the fps avg count you can do "STOP FPS SHOW" and then do "START FPS SHOW" again. There may be an easier way to do that but I don't know it.

I hope this helps and I'd love to hear back about your results.

Cheers!
just so i understand you want me to max out the rest of the stuff except vsync and ssao?? the only thing left to raise would be the forest and bulidings amount (to unlimited, from high) and checking the box marked grass...

also every time i try and do the start fps show with all caps within and with out quotes it dosent work...typing in 'fps show' (edit this only seems to work in all lower case) gives me something but thats it '? fps show' gives me something different but i cant seem to get it to change from stopped and hidden to started and shown

i know from arma 2 that shadows on medium makes them render on CPU, higher than that they render on GPU.... it seems in that game their seems to be definitive answers on what whether the cpu or gpu is used for what settings...is their similar settings in this game and if so are they known??

Last edited by tk471138; 10-26-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
just so i understand you want me to max out the rest of the stuff except vsync and ssao?? the only thing left to raise would be the forest and bulidings amount (to unlimited, from high) and checking the box marked grass...

also every time i try and do the start fps show with all caps within and with out quotes it dosent work...typing in 'fps show' (edit this only seems to work in all lower case) gives me something but thats it '? fps show' gives me something different but i cant seem to get it to change from stopped and hidden to started and shown

i know from arma 2 that shadows on medium makes them render on CPU, higher than that they render on GPU.... it seems in that game their seems to be definitive answers on what whether the cpu or gpu is used for what settings...is their similar settings in this game and if so are they known??
Hi again, sorry I had the fps command messed up, it's actually "FPS START SHOW" and "FPS STOP SHOW" (also "FPS STOP HIDE").

I was only offering maxing everything just as an experiment out of curiosity with your current setup. Running everything on max would give you a better baseline benchmark to guide your setup changes from, instead of starting with a few settings down a notch. I'm not really sure about ClODs graphics engine when it comes to which settings affect CPU or GPU more, but that's why I would recommend you start at everything max and work your way around the settings. I would make a guess that lowering trees, buildings and grass (like you currently have) may be your best bet but there's no way of knowing for sure without playing around with it a bit.

I'd love to hear back about the results you find,

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Capwn View Post
Hi again, sorry I had the fps command messed up, it's actually "FPS START SHOW" and "FPS STOP SHOW" (also "FPS STOP HIDE").

I was only offering maxing everything just as an experiment out of curiosity with your current setup. Running everything on max would give you a better baseline benchmark to guide your setup changes from, instead of starting with a few settings down a notch. I'm not really sure about ClODs graphics engine when it comes to which settings affect CPU or GPU more, but that's why I would recommend you start at everything max and work your way around the settings. I would make a guess that lowering trees, buildings and grass (like you currently have) may be your best bet but there's no way of knowing for sure without playing around with it a bit.

I'd love to hear back about the results you find,

Thanks!
their seems to be no real difference if i set the buildings and the forests to their max on the black death track most of the time my GPU was at 50% use average for the black death track was around 37fps
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

There is another track for a better cpu benchmark. I currently do not know the name, but also try some other tracks to validate for yourself. Blackdeath track is "overall" not the best performance indicator.

Just for information. Sry, that I do not have the name of the track.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Approved Member

S!

Landscape flyby is another with a lot of terrain etc. showing. I really like the 12.11 Beta4's. Run games fine and MechWarrior Online runs fine
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

And for these dam lines - any paliative?
With these new ATI driver they are minimized, but still...

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z1wg2q.jpg

Sokol1
Old 10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Approved Member

S!

Those lines came with the latest 2 patches. I did not have them on 12.9's BEFORE the beta and RC's. So whatever devs changed brought them back.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Those lines came with the latest 2 patches. I did not have them on 12.9's BEFORE the beta and RC's. So whatever devs changed brought them back.
Same.

JD
AKA_MattE
Intel X25-M 160GB SSD
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB
MSI R7970 OC
ATI Catalyst 12.3
KINGWIN Mach 1 1000W
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

MajorBoris
"Question: Do you forum more than you fly?"

raaaid
"i love it here makes me look normal"
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

... hmm my track ir 5 will not launch ith these drivers.. i can only get it to run if i keep CCC 12.8
Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

With this Beta Driver 12.11 (HD7970) the damned lines has minimized a lite, but still...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qxnx39.jpg

On positive side seems the overall quality of image has improved.

People with HD6970 inform that dont have this problem.

Sokol1