Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauf View Post
Yep, I currently have a x955 oc'ed to 3.6, 8 gig corsair 1600 ram and a gtx 295 which i put together in January 2009, will resist upgrading anything unless its completely nessesary and plan on a new build in a couple of years, even at the cost of visuals in the near term. Was thinking of a new build when the bulldozer cpu's are released later this year but will hold off.
Seems whenever I do build something new it goes out of date the following week
You might be able to/be worth snapping up a cheap 400 for the short term, they are selling them off at basically no profit to make room for the 500s.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
You might be able to/be worth snapping up a cheap 400 for the short term, they are selling them off at basically no profit to make room for the 500s.
Hi Heliocon, going by this link posted in another thread the 295 is still up there, so will see how it goes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...50,2782-7.html
Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domian View Post
Nonsense!

How do you know that the same is true for CoD? It is a completely new engine!
That Nvidia supported.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Approved Member

Thanks Hecke, good article.
Very interesting,

Oleg:
"Again on DX11. We have a lot of experimenting with the interface and found that the API is relatively unstable worked. This could be due to the fact that we "cram" more than others would in DX11 games developers. We sometimes had the feeling to push at the other end to a wall and we dealt with concerning issues that were not ours. Therefore, we set aside the DX11 support, but it is still there as I write this (note: the interview was conducted in writing).
"

I seem to remember members of this forum criticizing Oleg for not implementing Direct X 11 in the release.

If DirectX 11 is unstable in this applicication (at this point of the development) then it doesn't matter what the benifits would be it would be just bad development practice to put it in.

I also remember people infering that because COD was implemented using DirectX 10 it excluded the possiblity of it being DirectX 11 compatable.

Obviously that is not the case.

Oleg:
"Fans of the series know that we continuously improve our simulations with free add-ons and paid sequels and they can remain confident that we have the current technology into account and thus continue to adapt our engine and to improve. The basic technology was also developed with scalability in mind. "

This is fantastic news, Lets all hope that CoD is successfull enough to have a long update and improvement history!

Cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 03-13-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Man, he says nothing about hyperthreading! He only mentioned that they use their own hybrid multi-threaded system, to spread the load on the different CPU cores.
I cant find anything either, I think Chivas as got confused, if not then show us the link Chivas?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Man, he says nothing about hyperthreading! He only mentioned that they use their own hybrid multi-threaded system, to spread the load on the different CPU cores.
+1

Don't see why everyone is confusing that with Hyperthreading
- 2500k @ 4.8Ghz Lapped IHS - AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - MSI GTX 560 Ti 2Gb - Crutial M4 SATA3 64Gb SSD - 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz @ 8-8-8-21 RAM - Silverstone 750w Fully Modular PSU - Antec 1200 ATX Case - Zalman 9700 Cooler - Win7 Ultimate x64 -
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauf View Post
Hi Heliocon, going by this link posted in another thread the 295 is still up there, so will see how it goes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...50,2782-7.html
True but its not dx11 (yes I am a dx11 fanboy).

I didnt see anything about hyperthreading in the article - I am not sure so if I am wrong feel free to correct me, but I believe hyperthreading is automatic and they dont need to program for it. They need to program for multiple threads, so if you have a 4 core with hyperthreading (so an i7) which = 8 threads (hyperthreading gives each core 2 threads) and the game uses more than 4 threads, it will automatically be hyperthreaded because windows sees the extra threads as cores (so it will say in your dx diag - 8 logical cpus, 4 physical cpus). So basically if it uses more than 4 threads the game will be hyperthreaded automatically, and if not (say it uses only 4 threads) then you will be hyperthreaded anyway because the other threads will be running the OS and other programs in the background.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Approved Member

Oleg Maddox: We use a hybrid multi-threaded system. Separate Threads kommen beim Sound oder asynchronen Laden von Ressourcen zum Einsatz. Separate threads are in sound or asynchronous loading of resources used. Zusätzlich setzen wir beispielsweise beim Laden oder Berechnen von Geometire TPL (Task Parallel Libary) für die effiziente Nutzung der zur Verfügung stehenden Kerne ein. Moreover, we believe, for example, during loading or calculating Geometire TPL (Task Parallel Library) for the efficient use of available cores one.

This is what I was refering too. From the translation it was hard to tell what "efficient use of available cores one" meant and how many cores the code would use.