Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Mods, discussions, links, etc.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyerz View Post
Quality always shines through - and as for distance sound modding , myself and others have been doing that to Il2 for a long time now , but overall its just nice to see the audio side been given some attention by a developer , lets just hope that luthier has the forsight to open everything up to the community as a whole cos there are some top notch people out there , corse - that all depends on weather they can get the basic engine off the ground.
Well said (ironic time you posted this mate)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

+1 Catseye

Any film maker will agree that good audio is actually more important than good video. When the picture suddenly goes out on your TV you usually hold off a bit from changing the channel if you can still hear what's going on. However, when the sound goes off -- even with the picture going -- the channel usually gets flipped immediately. In a flight sim, both video and audio are important. Audio is not LESS important.

I'm probably the only one here who has two buttons programmed on my throttle - one for external, one for flyby. For me the only sound that beats my stroked Harley is a Merlin engine in full cry. Jafa nailed the external sound; the flyby is darn close. Online I'm in the cockpit 100% (usually no choice, anyway! ), offline I go external and flyby a LOT, maybe even TONS!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Approved Member

I prefer the pre-patch Merlin cockpit sounds simply because I can no longer easily tell the rpm in the 2600-2900 range by sound.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Approved Member

The first time I heard Jafa's Merlin I thought that is it,that is dam well it!!!,the sim for me,personally came alive on that day,I have never forgotten that.

Whilst I can't deny the devs have done an outstanding job on the sounds,and I love the new 109 sounds,they are just superb,for me Jafa's Merlin still reigns supreme,those flybys,oh man,just incredible.

Alienware Aurora|Win 7 64-bit Home Premium|IC i7-920 Processor (Quad-Core)|14GB DDR3 RAM|1 TB SATA 7200rpm Hard Drive|GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE 3 X fan|Thrustmaster Warthog|Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals,throttle quadrant and Cessna trim wheel|TrackIR4|Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Approved Member

Early war Merlins have a different sound to late war merlins.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkubani View Post
From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of the sim time we spend in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

I don't know the limitations / priorities of IL-2 1C team, but fly bys would be on the bottom of my list. Cockpit sounds on the very top, on the other hand.

My 2 cents.
+1 (!)
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC338 View Post
+1
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Approved Member

Hahahaha -- I LOVE this video!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkubani View Post
From a virtual pilot point of view: fly by sounds are the least important sounds in any flight simulator. 99% of the sim time we spend in the "office" = cockpit.

Basically, you may appreciate nice fly by only if you are sitting on the runway with your engine off and conopy open. How many of us do that? And if yes, how often? The important sounds are the ones you hear from the cockpit. We should seek top fidelity there. External sounds are more for movie makers than for virtual pilots.

I don't know the limitations / priorities of IL-2 1C team, but fly bys would be on the bottom of my list. Cockpit sounds on the very top, on the other hand.

My 2 cents.
Exactly.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:29 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC338 View Post
Right now we're not getting a very good facsimile of either when in fly-by mode.