Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Default Sandbox mode

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, I'm still pretty new to the forums.

That said has anyone made a sandbox mode/mod for testing and scripting? A vastly narrowed, world with several scripts disabled for simplicity. Perhaps just one massive system with a few bases and opposing factions?

How hard would it be to accomplish this? I've been looking at all the scripting/modding threads but its a bit over whelming at first. Diabling the you win-loose-cheat-or-draw threads for the most part. Also clipping most of the quest threads for the time being.

I realize a default jump start script may be required to upgrade you to your test bed ship(s). By disabling rather then deleting most of the content it leaves the hopes of easily expanding the game back to a fuller state once you are done testing and tweaking.

So honestly, is this a 2 hours of code switching idea or a 2 months of agonization idea?

Thanks in advance,
Knave
Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Trucidation

You could disable the jump portals to isolate several systems fairly easily. I never got around to messing with the scripts/LUA but it should be possible to hijack the game's first mission trigger and replace it with your own (thereby bypassing the whole mini-tutorial thing). If you know where to look the edits should be fairly easy to make. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave View Post
That said has anyone made a sandbox mode/mod for testing and scripting? A vastly narrowed, world with several scripts disabled for simplicity. Perhaps just one massive system with a few bases and opposing factions?
It's fairly easy. I've had something like this in the first version of my motherships mod. I started from blank sector, added gates to link it to sector when you start, filled with a base, random portal and some other stuff. You can do it by copy/paste some lines from existing sectors. Check the scripts/locations folder. Every sector has 3 script files. Analyze them and everything will be clear.

P.S. If you want I can send you that old version of my mod so you'll have a basic idea how to start. Just PM me with your email.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
It's fairly easy. I've had something like this in the first version of my motherships mod. I started from blank sector, added gates to link it to sector when you start, filled with a base, random portal and some other stuff. You can do it by copy/paste some lines from existing sectors. Check the scripts/locations folder. Every sector has 3 script files. Analyze them and everything will be clear.

P.S. If you want I can send you that old version of my mod so you'll have a basic idea how to start. Just PM me with your email.
Now with patch 1.12 you may try quests-making as well

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star...-war/downloads
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastix View Post
Now with patch 1.12 you may try quests-making as well

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/game/star...-war/downloads
Thanks for the info. I've found this patch few days ago by accident when searching for some info about Ashes of Victory.
IMO the release of the new (first) patch deserves a separate sticky thread and it should be done immediately after release.

Quests are totally different matter than tweaking/importing ships or other small improvements and can't be done in just few hours. I don't have much time now so I'll probably wait for new expansion. I hope it will contain some of my wishes and other requested improvements. The game engine is really old and needs some serious changes.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Wizard View Post
I hope it will contain some of my wishes and other requested improvements. The game engine is really old and needs some serious changes.
Yep, but as far as I know the developers has no real feedback from English-speaking community
No wishes, no ideas, no requests for modding support. Nothing.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

Default Thanks all

When I have some free time I'll take a look at it. There are Lots of things I'd like to poke at and play around with. But in truth, I know the only way to try is in baby steps. Being overly ambitious tends to leads to frustration, angst and abandoned projects. Baby steps.

Updating my copy via impulse, thanks for the tip.

Side note: In another thread someone was complaining about the way shields worked. Why not use a shield charger, like some older 4x games did?
Ex: Cost 5000 credits, max shields 50, regeneration 10/s, name: Shield Overcharger, description: "While only able to stop the weakest assult on its own, this homebrew charger is quickly gaining popularity with the poorer mercenaries, pirates and the technically apt." <--or something similar.

A low max shields added with higher regen boost makes more sense to me. Pop in a few varrients for the diffrent tech levels and tada! Shields actually make a diffrence in prolonged fights. Especially for a systems character who might get almost double regen. A mothership version with systems firmware might not be bad either...

BTW, sorry for any typos. Yes, english is my first language. No, spelling is not. (Darn LD.)
-Knave
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yep, but as far as I know the developers has no real feedback from English-speaking community
It was a time that I tried to get some answers form devs. You probably remember the situation. The problem is that it's hard to find someone who simultaneously speaks english, have some time and knows the answers. May it was my bad luck but it really discouraged me from further posting on the Elite Games forum.
Anyway, devs can find "Wishlist" thread on this forum - full range of wishes, ideas and requests. It's an official forum too, right? What's the point of posting the same again on their forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave View Post
When I have some free time I'll take a look at it. There are Lots of things I'd like to poke at and play around with. But in truth, I know the only way to try is in baby steps. Being overly ambitious tends to leads to frustration, angst and abandoned projects. Baby steps.
Feel free to ask. I'm certainly far from being a master of LUA scripts but I'll try to help as much as I can.

P.S. I can't find old version of the mod on my current hdd so I'll send it to you later this evening (my evening of course ).
Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Trucidation

Quote:
??

My last post on the Elite games forum was not replied to - I also kept my posts to that pinned english thread to help them keep everything in one place. That was a few months ago. I assumed they already finalized Ashes of Victory and were not taking any more input. And as Goblin Wizard said, is this not also an official forum (because 1C are the publishers)? It is good that you read this forum but it seems from their side only you are reading this forum. Surely they can spare someone a few minutes even once a week to look here? I'm currently modding a different game but it is no problem to check this website for a few minutes every day because I like Star Wolves and hope they can improve things for their sequel.

Last edited by Trucidation; 12-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucidation View Post
??

My last post on the Elite games forum was not replied to
I saw this

As I know at THIS moment no changes will be made for sound engine