Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
Using the MSFFB2 stick in CoD is fine since the CoD Controls menu allows you to assign the Directx buttons and axis to whatever in-game functions you want. Unfortunately, the Sidewinder 4 software doesn't work with Win 7, so you aren't able to program any keyboard commands or macros to the joystick buttons. Surprisingly, the Win 7 ffb drivers work fine with the MSFFB2 stick and CoD's .ffe files. You can't edit them, but you can delete any you don't like. IIRC, the different ffb effects are a little goofy in how they're placed in the .ffe files.

For instance, if you don't like the overdone cannon effects because your stick shakes far too hard and throws off your aim, you can delete cannon.ffe -- but then you also lose stall shudder. (or something like that). Anyone feel free to correct me here.

The only problem I had with force feedback was the excessive stick shake when your plane was damaged. I swear to the Almighty the MSFFB2 would practically jump off my desk! I'm sure I'm not the only MSFFB2 stick owner who quickly learned how to fly a badly-damaged plane back to home base with just thumb and forefinger gingerly holding the stick - desperately avoiding covering the hand sensor and sending the stick back into convulsions again! LOL
As Soko 1 has pointed out all .ffe files are editable, tune them to what you prefer.

FFedit: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...62&postcount=3
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Approved Member

I added an update to the first post.
GSkil DDR3 1600x8Gigs
EVGA GTX580
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Approved Member

Cool read, the OPs had a lot of different joysticks and it's interesting to hear about the pros and cons encountered. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new Warthog, it looks like a beast and hope you get it fixed soon.

I own a Saitek cyborg X which has served me well over the last couple of years, before that many years ago I had a MSFFB2 which was great except I kept having buttons die on me. Not sure where it is now, will have to have a good search through stuff I have in storage.

Anyhow... wanted to ask, is there an advantage to owning a top of the line 400 quid joystick like the Warthog, as opposed to a 30 quid joystick for IL-2? I assume there is as people are willing to pay but how does a Warthog significantly enhance IL-2 and is it worth the cash? The Warthog does offer extra HOTAS buttons but I have more than enough buttons and levers on my Saitek joystick and throttle quadrant for IL-2 and so I couldn't imagine shelling out the extra cash if this is the main advantage. One advantage I could imagine being very useful might be the sensitivity and response on the X and Y axis, allowing for more controlled / smooth / fine inputs and thus allowing for better in game control - does the Warthog excel above other joysticks in this respect or is it more the durability and extra HOTAS buttons people pay for?

Cheers.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

If your joystick is accurate and has no spiking then it's good enough - there is no performance benefit with the Warthog.

Warthog in stock form is actually pretty bad in accuracy. The sensor may be accurate, but the gimbal has horrible stiction. It's hard to make minute adjustments.

The center detent is also very strong. I've replaced the gimbal entirely so now it flies 10x better.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico View Post
Instead, I quietly put mine in a box and like others out there went looking for the next best thing.
Why did you put it in the Box? My SW2FFB works nicely in Win7-64

Pity you only have one SW2FFB.
Because IF you had two of them, your Warthog stick AND a soldering iron...

Enjoy!

~S~
Old 02-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Why did you put it in the Box? My SW2FFB works nicely in Win7-64

Pity you only have one SW2FFB.
Because IF you had two of them, your Warthog stick AND a soldering iron...
Enjoy!

~S~

That is a very bad assumption. I own four MSFFB2 sticks including a broken one awaiting a project...
GSkil DDR3 1600x8Gigs
EVGA GTX580
Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder! View Post
Cool read, the OPs had a lot of different joysticks and it's interesting to hear about the pros and cons encountered. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your new Warthog, it looks like a beast and hope you get it fixed soon.

I own a Saitek cyborg X which has served me well over the last couple of years, before that many years ago I had a MSFFB2 which was great except I kept having buttons die on me. Not sure where it is now, will have to have a good search through stuff I have in storage.

Anyhow... wanted to ask, is there an advantage to owning a top of the line 400 quid joystick like the Warthog, as opposed to a 30 quid joystick for IL-2? I assume there is as people are willing to pay but how does a Warthog significantly enhance IL-2 and is it worth the cash? The Warthog does offer extra HOTAS buttons but I have more than enough buttons and levers on my Saitek joystick and throttle quadrant for IL-2 and so I couldn't imagine shelling out the extra cash if this is the main advantage. One advantage I could imagine being very useful might be the sensitivity and response on the X and Y axis, allowing for more controlled / smooth / fine inputs and thus allowing for better in game control - does the Warthog excel above other joysticks in this respect or is it more the durability and extra HOTAS buttons people pay for?

Cheers.
Bounder,
Here is the bottom line. Get yourself a X-52 Pro and either use the whole thing(Do the Joystick Shim Mod, very cool) or use the Cyborg with the X-52 throttle. Either way, you will really come out winning.
The Warthog is the Super Hot High maintenance Chick everyone wants to be seen with.
The X-52 Pro is more like the Cute smart girl. Its there, its reliable, its easy to maitain(or replace). Unlike the Warthog, you dont go,
"Wow, I spent all this money on you for this?"

As far as recoilfx's comments, while I have not experienced this stinchon problem, I would not be surprised if they are not in my future. Honestly, I dont put nothing past this stick. Yes, there are some things that can be modded. However now I am experincing extreemly good precision.

I have another problem. The MSP or Mic Push button is really hard to push in. To the point where I dont program stuff to it. You could call it a dead button. This is a mechanical failure. When I got it this button seemed a bit stiff, now it just seems about to break.
The sticking Coolie buttons pesist. Sometimes I have to move this switch around to keep it from sticking. This switch will have to be replaced.
Just add this to the list. While I still like the feel and concept of the stick along with the best software ever invented for a joystick, we have problems...
GSkil DDR3 1600x8Gigs
EVGA GTX580
Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico View Post
Bounder,
Here is the bottom line. Get yourself a X-52 Pro and either use the whole thing(Do the Joystick Shim Mod, very cool) or use the Cyborg with the X-52 throttle. Either way, you will really come out winning.
The Warthog is the Super Hot High maintenance Chick everyone wants to be seen with.
The X-52 Pro is more like the Cute smart girl. Its there, its reliable, its easy to maitain(or replace). Unlike the Warthog, you dont go,
"Wow, I spent all this money on you for this?"

As far as recoilfx's comments, while I have not experienced this stinchon problem, I would not be surprised if they are not in my future. Honestly, I dont put nothing past this stick. Yes, there are some things that can be modded. However now I am experincing extreemly good precision.

I have another problem. The MSP or Mic Push button is really hard to push in. To the point where I dont program stuff to it. You could call it a dead button. This is a mechanical failure. When I got it this button seemed a bit stiff, now it just seems about to break.
The sticking Coolie buttons pesist. Sometimes I have to move this switch around to keep it from sticking. This switch will have to be replaced.
Just add this to the list. While I still like the feel and concept of the stick along with the best software ever invented for a joystick, we have problems...
I'm pretty sure every stick has stiction. It's inherent in ThrustMaster's choice of material and construction(textured plastic ball gimbal, teflon piston pad's screw placement and heavy gauge downward force spring).

Open up a good joystick analyzer (like foxy' joystick analyzer, maximize the window to see better). Try make the smallest incremental amount. For every smallest step you make, rest for a second, then make the next smallest step in value you can.

You will notice that you are skipping a lot between each step. You'd be able to make smaller steps with an CH stick even though its resolution is 8 bit vs Warthog's 12bit.