Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Approved Member

I think a good way would be this:

1) You got realistic limited 6dof view with track ir.

2) You got realistic limited 6dof view using the keyboard.
- Num keyboard snap view like IL-2
- SHIFT Num keyboard 2-4-6-8: slide the view left, right, foward, backwar.
- Alt Num keyboard 2-4-6-8 rotate view down, left, right and up (POV Hat of hotas as mouse does the same)
- SHIFT Num keyboard 3 and 9, slide view upwards and downward.

3) A key combination, just like SHIFT-F1, that fast and smoothly slide the view to have the gunsight centered. On allied aircraf it either does nothing or does the same but you´ll see the gunsight slide to your left.
This last view with a menu checkbox option where you can make it sticky or not. That way you can have to keep it pressed to have the gunsight centered, or you have to press one to have gunsight centered, and again to return to cockpit centered view.

All this three alternatives are available, and you choose according to your hardware and preferences.

Just my thoughts and suggestions!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkOwl View Post
I loaded up IL-2 again and carefully went through the following aircraft:

B-24
B-17
H-111
Fw-190A8
Bf-109E4
Ju-88A4
AC-20

The heavy and medium bombers (except Ju-88 and AC-20) did not have any kind of gunsight and in most of them, Shift-F1 moved the view between pilot and co-pilot seats.

Looking forwards as well as backwards, it is as expected: it moves the head into a new position (usually forward the most in every plane. Movement to the side occured in some of them (in He-111, it moved forward-left even). In the Fw-190, the view also moved upwards a bit.

Looking backwards in all the aircraft while switching views - both over left shoulder, and right shoulder, one can see better and more in gunsight mode as the seat/armor plate is further away. In the 190 one can see the elevators on the right side even which are otherwise hidden. In the Ju-88 one can see much more everywhere, mainly because curtains are present behind the pilot up to about as far as his seat support so any movement forward gives better views.

There are a few planes where the non gunsight mode is extremely much higher (in a cheaty, unrealistic amount). The Me-262 is maybe the most extreme. The Me-210 and 410 (if you have them) are other examples. Using gunsight in those planes very much gimps the view in any direction, but on the other hand, that is still the most realistic view for those planes (one does not stand in a cockpit in reality.. ).

In the aircraft where the gunsight is offset to the right, looking back over left shoulder did not give much (if any) different view because the head was offset to the right, cancelling out the forward movement.

You can try this for yourself. Try also to look straight down, or straight sideways while pressing Shift-F1 to see how far forward and back the move is.

Never the less, the move forward does bring the canopy pillars closer, and makes them larger, and this gimps the view to an area to the front in some planes (Fw 190 a very big offender. Same thing happens in spitfires if one leans forward). I know I never liked flying in gunsight view because of the pillars etc being closer, for pretty much the same reasons you have now. After switching to head tracking it was no longer an issue but I still remember...
Sorry I was posting from work. When i checked in game just now, you are right the head has moved forward, lol
This still is not what i hope the SOW solution will be. I trust in the SOW team to find the best solution.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox View Post
No. equal. more effect in "behaviour" would have torgue really, comparing with this...
And this would be in counterpart with the some of tacticks in attacks of bombers really...
maybe it is in mind of some people, but in real life - this would play real role probably for foil fencer or epee fencer

As for me - right or left - doesn't mater... I was born with left... then in kindergarden - oriented on the right hand (so stupid situation was).... and now I can use both almost similar and completely similar say for shooting...

Thanks for the answer so will the AI have blind-spots?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Oleg, will the AI do mistakes like humans do? I.e. when is very scared, some would dive in desperation, but forgot they're on too low altitude and crash before leveling.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Thanks for the answer so will the AI have blind-spots?
Absolutely, confirmed long time ago by Oleg.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECV56_Lancelot View Post
Absolutely, confirmed long time ago by Oleg.
Me likey likey
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes, their basic code and our modifications. We need to make more large distance of view with the high quality using this code.
Excellent! Great to hear and thanks for the reply!
________
MONTANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by Necrobaron; 04-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Yes, their basic code and our modifications. We need to make more large distance of view with the high quality using this code.
Hi Oleg, it's good to hear that you're open to using third party tech to avoid reinventing the wheel. Would you consider licensing Euphoria Euphoria technology for dynamic character animation?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
As long as you can connect via a IP address, you could play on your lan.

Do you mean will BoB require online validation before we can play or will we be able to host our own server.

Unfortunately my real life friend friends have more interest in FPS's So I will never have the pleasure of vulching them with 8 Colt-Browning .303's

Cheers!
well, really what I want is just basic console-style 2 player, so if I'm flying they can pull up a chair and be my gunner, I remember us trying to "trick" IL-2 into doing this on a few occasions. I have multiple monitors and plenty of input devices - just need the game to support it.

I guess a lan party is the only real solution to this as computers/windows in general isn't built for multiple simultaneous users but there are certain pc games that allow classic multiplayer so it could be done.

Last edited by AdMan; 03-11-2010 at 03:10 PM.