Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Formula88

Default Why fly the Spitfire?

Its less durable than a hurricane and not too much faster, far less stable and completely useless for shooting down 109s. There is no reason to fly for the red side as far as I can see. Every advantage belongs to the blue with faster planes, deadlier guns and just general superiority. I was just in the syndicate server and there was like 15 blue and 5 red...I left because, well, wtf? Give us an aircraft capable of competeing with the 109 and I might decide to start playing again.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post
Its less durable than a hurricane and not too much faster, far less stable and completely useless for shooting down 109s. There is no reason to fly for the red side as far as I can see. Every advantage belongs to the blue with faster planes, deadlier guns and just general superiority. I was just in the syndicate server and there was like 15 blue and 5 red...I left because, well, wtf? Give us an aircraft capable of competeing with the 109 and I might decide to start playing again.
The problem is....YOU!!!
One just has to build the energy first before attacking with the spit, and conserve it.
The armament is more then adequate for any blue plane in this sim, just no spray'n'pray -> not enough ammo, only 18 s.
Convergence to 150 m and a correct aim will bring em all down.

I just went on the syn-server, took a spit Ia and went to france, shot down 2 109 before a 40mm aa perforated my left wing, then i had 2 109 on my tail, in the following dogfight i did hurt one before a wild evation maneuver brought my spit in a stall, at 200ft height that ended fatally.
However, 2 and a half victorys before the ack ack brought me down. Not a single hit by the 109's, and they tried really hard.
Oh, usually i fly the 110, i am not very trained on the spit.

Last edited by robtek; 05-07-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: additional arguments pro spit.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Why, Because its a spitfire, who doesnt want to fly a spitfire
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
in the following dogfight i did hurt one before a wild evation maneuver brought my spit in a stall, at 200ft height that ended fatally.
However, 2 and a half victorys before the ack ack brought me down.
Bloody Tommies, they think a plane damaged is 'half a victory'
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Approved Member

Years ago I was at a golf tournament and we only had a threesome so a 4th was added. The guy was an older Brit named Hal and while we played he mentioned he had been to Florida in the 40's for flight training while in the RAF. So we started talking and he got into the details of his experiences and how he loved the AT-6 because you could do anything you wanted with it..

He explained that after passing all the screening and his basic flight training he was in a large room (after the BoB, probably 1942) and the Commander walked in and stood before the class and said "Who wants to fly Spitfires?"

Every person in the room stood up enthusiasticly. The Commander looked around and said, "So did I, but they made me a Bomber pilot and thats what I'm making you."

"Hal" ended up piloting a Halifax Bomber over Germany. In all his flights he got hit with flak 3 times and once had a German night fighter fly right across in front of him at very cose range almost on the same heading then never saw him again..

Back to CoD, if you are having trouble killing 109's with the Spitfire you are the problem.. I was routinely getting 2-3 109's before the current Beta messed with Multiplayer for me. If you can get 2-3 Spitfires with a 109 I'll be impressed
XFX 6970 Video Card
Win7 64 Bit Home Ed
ATI 12.3 Driver Package
WD Caviar 7600 RPM HDD
ATI CCC at DEFAULT settings
Old 05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG14_Jagr View Post
Years ago I was at a golf tournament and we only had a threesome so a 4th was added. The guy was an older Brit named Hal and while we played he mentioned he had been to Florida in the 40's for flight training while in the RAF. So we started talking and he got into the details of his experiences and how he loved the AT-6 because you could do anything you wanted with it..

He explained that after passing all the screening and his basic flight training he was in a large room (after the BoB, probably 1942) and the Commander walked in and stood before the class and said "Who wants to fly Spitfires?"

Every person in the room stood up enthusiasticly. The Commander looked around and said, "So did I, but they made me a Bomber pilot and thats what I'm making you."

"Hal" ended up piloting a Halifax Bomber over Germany. In all his flights he got hit with flak 3 times and once had a German night fighter fly right across in front of him at very cose range almost on the same heading then never saw him again..

Back to CoD, if you are having trouble killing 109's with the Spitfire you are the problem.. I was routinely getting 2-3 109's before the current Beta messed with Multiplayer for me. If you can get 2-3 Spitfires with a 109 I'll be impressed
LOL i like that
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
There is a capable plane, Spit MkIIa, but most servers are in favour of 109's, so their afraid to fight it, and disable it in menu.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Approved Member

I think the reason the IIA is disabled on most servers is that the 109E's FM is off in terms of top speed, so until the FMs are corrected in a patch people are trying to balance things out on their own.

This is not only a 109 issue, in fact after tests done by the community members (the results are in this forum) the Spit IIa is the only aircraft that is getting its real-world performance in the sim.

Most of the other fighters, both axis and allied, are slower than they were in reality so the Spit.IIa becomes an "i-win" choice. I'm sure that when all the other fighters are tuned to better reflect their historical performance (auto-mixture fixed, 109s getting their correct speed, 110s getting the improved engines they used during the BoB, Spit Is and Hurris getting the 100 octane boost limits) the Spit IIa will make a return.

Until then, it's not only too much to handle for the people flying 109s, it's also too unfair to compete with for kills for the people flying other RAF fighters-->everyone on the red team would fly an Mk.II and things would be boring without Hurricanes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Approved Member

I wonder what that "poor-red" fuzz is all about. The Spitfire is an outstanding fighter in this sim. I fly red mostly (some rare trips in a 109 included though) and I can't really complain. I have died online maybe twice or three times in accidents, yet I still have to be shot down by a 109 or a 110. That is after more than 6 weeks multiplayer.

It's much the same with the 109, if you work for your advantages, there's really nothing that can (and should) touch you.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 609_Huetz View Post
I wonder what that "poor-red" fuzz is all about. The Spitfire is an outstanding fighter in this sim. I fly red mostly (some rare trips in a 109 included though) and I can't really complain. I have died online maybe twice or three times in accidents, yet I still have to be shot down by a 109 or a 110. That is after more than 6 weeks multiplayer.

It's much the same with the 109, if you work for your advantages, there's really nothing that can (and should) touch you.
Thats what i mean, just because ppl can't handle the 109 advantages, they "feel" it's underpowered, and disable the SpitMkIIa.