Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
I voted against a change in moderation thank you very much.
Maybe you voted against (maybe I did too), but we (as a group) voted for. If for example all but one person voted for, it's not exactly reasonable that the one person has a go at the mod for doing what he was asked, simply because that one person voted against.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Totally over the top. You can stop the threads and delete posts nearmiss, be as anal as you like about it, the forum is now next to useless and not worth a visit.
you should consider editing your initial post and turning down the offensive language/tone, surely there is more civilized way to communicate. no need to start flaming to get your point across.

with the phases this forum has gone through in the last years, the moderation from nearmiss here has usually been pretty good, and if anything it was considerably better then most other forums. having one thread closed a bit to early one day doesnt negate all his previous hard work (or his balanced management approach)

i'd agree the recent update thread was closed a bit early, most of the recently edited off topic posts in it were still related to the same discussion. but most of the same complainants here recently asked for stricter on topic moderation, so its largely a problem of your own creation. given how well balanced nearmiss's approach has been in the past, it is likely the pendulum will now swing back a bit closer to the middle, and threads will get trimmed of unrelated posts, but still let the discussion flow on more naturally.

even if many of the update threads continues on past the "useful feedback for oleg" point, with the more mature and restrained discussion tone in the last months by most regulars here ( other then the occasional new teen floating in with a case of trailerpark'itis), there is still lots of useful factual information that gets posted in them.

Last edited by zapatista; 12-19-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Approved Member

nearmiss has re-opened the Thread:

Well it seems members want the update threads open for postings, regardless of some Off Topic postings.

So be it...

Rules of the forums and prohibited content will still be enforced.

If members want responses from the developer you will either stay ON TOPIC, or let the threads run.

The developers are pressed for time, as are moderators. They will not take time to read the thread when Off Topic postings prevail.

If a posting is reported to moderators as "Off Topic" action will be taken.

Moderators do not have time to hang on the forums and read every post as it is made. "

He's right, we can't expect Oleg to trawl through a bucket full of dross to find actual opinions and questions.

Lets give the moderators a chance of succeeding by staying On Topic.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
I voted against a change in moderation thank you very much.
Democracy sucks if you are over-voted.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Tree_UK

With the last 2 updates being all about the colour of flames coming from an engine I suddenly found myself looking forward to the off topic comments/pics, I thoroughly enjoyed Alphas pics of his diesel engine.

Come on Oleg give us a vid with a 100 + aircraft on it, no excuses about it being an old beta or on a crappy Pentium 111, lets see something special for once.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Totally over the top. You can stop the threads and delete posts nearmiss, be as anal as you like about it, the forum is now next to useless and not worth a visit.
The problem is...

Read the latest update thread responses and look at the number of postings some of those off topic posters have made on these forums. Many of them are loyal members, members who have basically gotten off topic as discussion advanced.

When moderators ban loyal members for 7 days for off topic, it is just not a best way to deal with the problem. We all make mistakes, but we want to keep the integrity of the thread.

Reported postings will still be dealt with.

Last edited by nearmiss; 12-19-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Guilty as charged

I was off topic and admitted it in the thread, but some people don't get the chance to see how some of us accumulate knowledge of "how things work" IRL.

I'm not trying to validate any comments I made a week earlier in the "flames thread" Its just sometimes I could bang my head in disbelief at the posts I see

Also

I considered the latest update thread a "dead one" as Oleg was simply showing results of the weeks previous request thread regarding exhaust flames, and was not asking for further help.

He had not responded and I don't think had any intention of either.

Nearmiss

Sorry for the off topic pics

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 12-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Global Moderator

KG26_Alpha

What good would it do to ban posters like yourself for 7 days for going with the flow of discussion. It is easy to get off topic we are all aware of it.

The update threads are probably pretty well done as far as feedback to the developer after the first day.

It is not worth all the scrutiny of dealing with Off topic posters when the developers are no longer following the thread. Sometimes the developers will pop in later in the week, but it is rare.

Reported postings will be dealt with.

The first day responses on the update threads should always have viable content for discussion, after the first day Laissez-faire.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

The problem is that both strategies -- the old and the new one -- are not clearly outlined and feel sometimes erratic and confusing, even to older members. (There is also clearly a need for more moderators, but that is so since a long time.)

Back to the strategy: IF you want update threads that stay on topic (I say IF) you need to establish some very simple rules. For example, the simplest one could be to allow only questions and comments on the update directed only to Oleg. The rest is deleted, but people are welcome to open their own discussion thread if they don't agree with each other on something.
That would be a way, but it's also the harshest one.

If not you have to establish some other rules and stick to it. Or you say that everything is ok, except personal attacks between members or/and impolite talk to Oleg or 1C members. (which has occurred in the past often enough and stayed there unmoderated for days and weeks).

But to moderate the update threads with the guideline "to stay on topic" is probably the hardest one to do, and very hard to realize. Where does "on topic" end and "off topic" start? This will only create frustrations. I think it's easier to moderate on the base of personal attitude and behavior instead.

And again, one active moderator just isn't enough for this forum. It's way to emotional and busy for that.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
The problem is that both strategies -- the old and the new one -- are not clearly outlined and feel sometimes erratic and confusing, even to older members. (There is also clearly a need for more moderators, but that is so since a long time.)

Back to the strategy: IF you want update threads that stay on topic (I say IF) you need to establish some very simple rules. For example, the simplest one could be to allow only questions and comments on the update directed only to Oleg. The rest is deleted, but people are welcome to open their own discussion thread if they don't agree with each other on something.
That would be a way, but it's also the harshest one.
Questions and comments on the update directed only to Oleg, would be fine except there are discussions between members that work out issues developers are interested to read.

Quote:
If not you have to establish some other rules and stick to it. Or you say that everything is ok, except personal attacks between members or/and impolite talk to Oleg or 1C members. (which has occurred in the past often enough and stayed there unmoderated for days and weeks).
Reported postings or PM messages are sent directly to moderators via email. Moderators are volunteers, this is a 24/7 international website where people are using the forums around the clock.

Quote:
But to moderate the update threads with the guideline "to stay on topic" is probably the hardest one to do, and very hard to realize. Where does "on topic" end and "off topic" start? This will only create frustrations. I think it's easier to moderate on the base of personal attitude and behavior instead.

And again, one active moderator just isn't enough for this forum. It's way to emotional and busy for that.
It is easy to make discussion points, and many sound viable until they are put into practice.

There are so many instances where intent, and communication is unclear. Following the logic of some people requires "psycho" skills many of us don't have. LOL

Formulating strategy has drawbacks, because humans just don't all fit the mold.

We have tried numerous things, and all had merit to some degree.

It can't be a best way when we have to ban loyal members.

Moderators don't want to read every posting, just as members don't read or respond to every posting. Moderators are volunteers, and only want to preserve peace, sanity, and sensible discourse on the forums.

Reported postings will be dealt with