Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliegenpilz View Post

and the Tiger Moth.
That's a really good pick. I had totally forgotten about the Tiger Moth...
For just flying around and enjoying the scenery, it's probably impossible to beat.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Hurricane and all bombers, they are just awesome ;]
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

1. Ju 88,
2. H 111,
3. Bf 109
Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Approved Member

Hurricane, best plane in the sim so far.

I want to like the G.50, but methinks she is pretty porked FM wise currently.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Hurricane, best plane in the sim so far.

I want to like the G.50, but methinks she is pretty porked FM wise currently.
yeah that thing is nothing like it was in IL-2 FB
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

Hurricane is modeled the best in this sim imo but for me im not sure...i guess i like to fly both the spit and the 109 depending on my mood or the map/players etc..

Im not a 'Im Axis/Allies and the other side suxxors' guy.. just try and have fun
Old 05-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Approved Member

They are all so much more detailed than in the previous series that i can't really decide, i enjoy all of them a lot.

I generally used to fly 190s because i liked the approach of it (harder to get a shot, but once you do the target disintegrates) and i always found bombers of all kinds cool, but i was never a 109 guy. In a similar fashion, i hated the Spit in IL2 because it felt as if it could do too much with too little effort, which in turn led to me making stupid decisions and getting shot down in one of the easiest handling aircraft in IL2

Well, with the improved DM even rifle caliber MGs are not useless anymore and i can now truly appreciate the 109. I recently started setting the cowl MGs to default convergence (i thinks it's 300m or so) and the cannons to 100-150m. I use the MGs for tracking shots, long range snapshots and forcing them to turn, the cannons i keep only for close in work and only in split-second bursts (i don't fire more than 3-6 shells from each gun on each target until i observe the results).

Testing on single player, i can generally run down the AI easily despite its perfect use of trim , give them sufficient damage with the MGs to force them to disengage, zoom back up and roll over down again and once i'm about to rear end them i just give them a quick burst of cannon to finish them off.

The 110 is something i'll probably delve more into, because i like the firepower, range and versatility of all twin-engined, multi-role aircraft of WWII (i can't wait for later series Ju88s and some mosquitoes and beaufighters in some future expansion).
Flown to its strengths (strictly boom and zoom with an alt advantage and wingmen) i bet the 110 will be a real killer, since it's actually quite fast for the current planeset and it might become even faster (some people presented references that more powerful engines were used by most units during the BoB than the ones our in-game 110 has).
I'm just waiting until the FMs are fine-tuned and we know for sure if the "snaking"/flutter above 500km/h and the auto-mixture induced shaking at higher altitudes are realistic and how to avoid them, or get corrected in a patch if they are not.

Also, with the CEM and the variety of systems the bombers are a joy to fly, even if a bit frustrating some times (oh the Blenheim ). The only ones i haven't spent much time in are the Tiger Moth (the controller logic with throttle and mixture is currently bugged in a similar way to the DH-prop Hurricane and since i fly with full CEM it gives me a lot of trouble having the sliders reset when i try to start it up) and the Br.20.

I can't get the G.50 to fly better than a dog to put it mildly (some defiants were out-running me today ) and it seems to lack its war emergency power setting (it seems like we're running down-graded/restricted engines that only go up to one atmosphere of manifold pressure), something that further complicates things is that we also completely lack any kind of documentation on what power settings to use, but it's a downright blast for fighting Gladiators and those Bredas are very cool guns with useful ammunition options.

Most of all, the CEM has actually made it worthwhile for me to fly Spits, it's not an "instant i-win button that makes me get cocky and fly silly" situation anymore

Big thumbs up for the Hurricane too, it might not be a top performer but it's a solid, dependable aircraft that just makes you feel comfortable in it.
I generally prefer the menacing looks of luftwaffe aircraft and i highly value their single-pass capabilities, but i can't deny the charm of wading through a formation of bombers, expending my ammo in 4-6 passes and scampering home down low through the mist with a feeling of nakedness and my head on a swivel looking for any bouncing 109s.

If/when we get later marks it's going to be one of my favorites for Rhubarb/Ranger type missions, for example a Mk.IIC with the cannons and a couple of bombs under the wings. That's also why i want to get to grips with the Blenheim, there's much involved in how you plan things out to overcome the performance deficiencies and there were some pretty bold and daring (and even suicidal) missions flown at low level over occupied Europe by Hurris and Blens. If nothing else, it will be good practice for when we have a Hawker Typhoon and a Mosquito in the future.

Sorry for the long post, but the fact that the new title simulates more of each aircraft's systems gives off a more authentic air of the quirks and subtler nuances of each one and that makes all of them very pleasing to fly.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Approved Member

1. Hurricane
2. bf 110c-4
Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Approved Member

Rotol Hurricane for me
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 AM
Approved Member

109... it's been my favorite for ten years. In earlier editions of the game I probably spent more time flying 109s than all other types combined.