Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Approved Member

Default Lasers

So, the only reason the tracers look like lasers is that George Lucas decided this was how a laser shot would look, if you could see one?

This whole debate is an incredible waste of time.

binky9
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky9 View Post
So, the only reason the tracers look like lasers is that George Lucas decided this was how a laser shot would look, if you could see one?

This whole debate is an incredible waste of time.

binky9
Not entirely correct, real spacefights would be really uncool in a movie theatre, as would real laser beams be.
So George Lucas decided to use the cool flight mechanics and tracers from wwii combat footage, just replace the background with space and the corsairs with x-wings / zeros with tie-fighters -> voilá: a cool spacefight!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Approved Member

And to think we don't even have the Fw 190 yet...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
And to think we don't even have the Fw 190 yet...
Yeah! that will open a whole new area of misconduct and rants.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post

Based on this video and many others I've seen...

Tracers don't follow a straight line, because the shooting aircraft never has complete fixed control. Flying aircraft are always bouncing and smoke trails definitely erratically accompany the tracers. It doesn't seem to matter what your vantage point is either.

So, if we get the full real tracers described we should also have erratic tracers and smoke trails.

Big straight bolts of light don't fit the picture of any full real viewing I've ever seen from any gun cam, or other outside views.

I recall first time I saw gun cam I thought to myself, what good are the tracers.

The tracers appear to be more efficient for targeting from a fixed platform like ground of ship mounted guns.

Regardless, we'll either work with them or raise so much stink we get what we think we should have. LOL

Last edited by nearmiss; 03-13-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Yeah! that will open a whole new area of misconduct and rants.
Hey hey dont get ahead of yourselves now... Before any of that happens we will surely be buried in 'the 109/spit is porked' and or 'the 109/spit is overmodeled' threads...

Im building my whine-raid shelter as we speak!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Approved Member

"So George Lucas decided to use the cool flight mechanics and tracers from wwii combat footage, just replace the background with space and the corsairs with x-wings / zeros with tie-fighters -> voilá: a cool spacefight!"

So, Lucas copied WWII tracers in StarWars, CoD is set in WWII, ergo, the tracers in CoD look right?

Still, a waste of time.

binky9
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky9 View Post
"So George Lucas decided to use the cool flight mechanics and tracers from wwii combat footage, just replace the background with space and the corsairs with x-wings / zeros with tie-fighters -> voilá: a cool spacefight!"

So, Lucas copied WWII tracers in StarWars, CoD is set in WWII, ergo, the tracers in CoD look right?

Still, a waste of time.

binky9
If Lucas had used visuals, that would have looked like lasers, it would have been less exciting. A laser would have been a straight line to the target, there one moment, gone the next. No streak that your eyes would be able to follow, so it would appear bland, like having no noise in a space movie.

A tracer we see, is a point of light at the end of a bullet, but as our eyes have their own "frame rate", they appear as streaks of certain length. Like twirling sparklers in a circle. So Lucas used streaks, as they are more exciting.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
Based on this video and many others I've seen...

Tracers don't follow a straight line, because the shooting aircraft never has complete fixed control. Flying aircraft are always bouncing and smoke trails definitely erratically accompany the tracers. It doesn't seem to matter what your vantage point is either.

So, if we get the full real tracers described we should also have erratic tracers and smoke trails.

Big straight bolts of light don't fit the picture of any full real viewing I've ever seen from any gun cam, or other outside views.

I recall first time I saw gun cam I thought to myself, what good are the tracers.

The tracers appear to be more efficient for targeting from a fixed platform like ground of ship mounted guns.

Regardless, we'll either work with them or raise so much stink we get what we think we should have. LOL
The erratic trails are because the camera is being violently shaken every time you shoot the gun. From what I am given the understand ( and have noticed in other contexts) people have exceptionally good built-in picture stabilization. Unless you're in a sensory illusion, you're going to perceive the final image as though it were shot from a stationary camera oriented with gravity down. Likewise, if you're caught in a sensory illusion, the final image is going to be stabilized to whatever you *think* is fixed down.

You can try this out for yourself by finding a reasonably open area, and spinning around a few dozen turns, the opening your eyes. Note how the world will still be spinning, even if you're flat on your back? That's a sensory illusion, and having your visual frame of reference disrupted is one of the effects of it.

This is, coincidentally, one of the big reasons blind flying is so dangerous for untrained pilots. It takes less than a minute for your internal sense of up and down to get scrambled to the point that what you think is up, happens to really be an inverted spiral dive into the ground.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Yea, im just going to leave this here........

No but seriously, the tracers are perfect. Videos that show the sperm like traces are made from camera's in the 40's......they don't show what a PERSON would actually see.