Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Gameplay questions threads

Gameplay questions threads Everything about playing CoD (missions, tactics, how to... and etc.)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Here are some great columns that will teach you a lot about how airplane engines work.

They apply to non-boosted general aviation engines, but the principle is the important thing. (he also has 5 columns on turbos, see full index http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/list.html )

Manifold pressure: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182081-1.html
Propellers: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182082-1.html
Fuel mixture: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182084-1.html

They are very well written and extremely informative. Keep in mind they are written for the general aviation community and their flat four 360 cid or flat six 540 cid engines - so he addresses the availability of instruments to them and some "old wive's tales" and misconceptions within that community related to those engines, but the fundamental principles shine through bright and clear.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for links throughout the thread, very helpful. Certainly is a whole other level compared to IL-2 - just great!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Approved Member

I can't use the CEM in the Stuka without getting oil leak and killing the engine.

I tryed everything: low RPM's, low throttle, high RPM's, and so on.

After 5 minutes always get oil leak and cockpit full of oil.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Approved Member

Could you upload a video with it, with a lot of info from the instruments? Maybe the "wonder woman view" with the instruments overlay?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1_Gunkan View Post
I can't use the CEM in the Stuka without getting oil leak and killing the engine.

I tryed everything: low RPM's, low throttle, high RPM's, and so on.

After 5 minutes always get oil leak and cockpit full of oil.

Any idea what i am doing wrong?
You have the supercharger ( yellow pull handle left of the revi ) on automatic.
Other then emergency situations and the dive it has to be on Bodenlader.
Also leave the WEP throttle on "Sturz-Reise".

Max continuous is 2100 @ 1.1 ATA.

Don't forget to check water temp constantly since you only have the two buttons and can't check how opened or closed the rads are.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

When I fly in British fighters, the exhaust spits out black smoke and the plane shakes a little occasionally. The only way I know to reduce this is by making the mixture leaner, however I can't seem to totally prevent it.
Well, at least I managed to stop the engine from exploding immediately
Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Approved Member

Fullreal servers are going to be a laugh for a few months! Red vs. blue debates should be more entertaining than ever given that automatic vs. manual is more important than ever.

I think I'll spend the time until over-land performance is patched just learning how to fly...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf Ace! View Post
When I fly in British fighters, the exhaust spits out black smoke and the plane shakes a little occasionally. The only way I know to reduce this is by making the mixture leaner, however I can't seem to totally prevent it.
Well, at least I managed to stop the engine from exploding immediately
When you get the shake and the smoke it's a sign of too rich a mixture, true. On the other hand you can't completely avoid it because it's also caused by maneuvering, you can get this effect easily during a stall after a high angle climb.

To be more precise, it happens whenever you push negative Gs (nose down), either by yourself or as a result of departure from controlled flight (stalls, spins, etc). The carburetor floater is pushed up due to the negative acceleration, allowing excess fuel to go through the pipe and that chokes the engine of air: it's like you are suddenly running with super-rich mixture for a few seconds.

This is reflected by the black smoke coming off the exhausts, a sign of incomplete combustion.

I only got my copy of the sim yesterday and flown just one sortie with the hurricane, but i'm very surprised and pleased to see how well they got this. If you've watched the "battle of Britain, the true story" BBC documentary (a member of this community has uploaded it on youtube in 6 parts, it's worth watching), this is exactly how a veteran pilot describes it in the interview.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunin View Post
Don't forget to check water temp constantly since you only have the two buttons and can't check how opened or closed the rads are.
I've dicovered that this is not true... on the right side of the revi is an indicator where can read the actual setting of the radiator...

Horrido!