Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

I haven't yet bought CoD, I probably will when the price is right for me (lower, or with fewer bugs).

I'm kind of glad about that after reading some of the reports here and elsewhere, I'd prefer it if the reports were all glowing and then I might have bought it by now, but if after that the product turned out to be as currently reported I'd have been incredibly annoyed, and probably recommending that nobody ever buy any Maddox products ever again (or something: I still fly 1946).

<comedy interlude>

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore "Integrity is a wonderful thing, and I'm willing to pay for it."

</comedy interlude> (you can't buy integrity, if you bought it, it doesn't contain complete integrity any more. I'm not even sure that's right on third thoughts, but I'm sure the joke is relevant)

Something went wrong with SoW/BoB-CoD/IL2, I don't know what it was (though perhaps I have some guesses), I want what was advertised here rather than what seems to have been delivered.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingblind View Post
I think the post is about performance rather that bugs. You are talking about bugs that will need to be fixed by the developers working on the code. Performance is how well your system runs the game as it stands with reference to fps, stutters and perhaps some of the artifacts.

There may still be some optimization to do that will improve performance across the board but the fact is some people cannot get satisfactory performance when their system specs suggest they should. No one has provided an answer why that should be.

I am lucky to be happy enough with the performance given my specs. The game runs with everything maxed at ave 50fps over water, 30 to 40fps over land dropping to low, mid 20s when attacking bombers over London. Minimal stuttering.

My choice of componants for my upgrade were made on the following basis.

1. My budget was no more than £500.

2. I have always prefered AMD over Intel on a purely subjective basis and the Phenome 965 fitted into my budget.

3. The motherboard got good reviews and seemed well designed and I liked the fact it has a nVidia chipset.

4. I got an nVidia graphics card as the developers have always said nVidia were willing to have a dialogue whereas ATI were not. I also got an Asus card to match the Asus board. I perhaps wish I had got a card with more Vram.

5. I needed DDR3 ram and I only got 4Gb of ram to keep within budget but again I made the mistake of getting 2 x 2Gb whereas I should have got 1 x 4Gb so now I can only upgrade with 2 more 2 x 2Gb or 2 x 4Gb rather than being able to get another 1 x 4Gb.

6. All the componants are designed to be overclocked but I haven't done so yet due to rather weak cooling.

The whole lot including VAT etc came in at £480.

Whilst I think, I also do the following:

Install CloD on it's own drive with it's own Win 7 64 bit OS.

Do not install anything not needed by Clod on that drive. Inc anti virus.

Launch CloD using Game Booster.

I used to delete game and reinstall when updating but now just delete .ini files from Steam folder and documents and also the files in cache.

Do not fiddle with config files.

Defrag game files after update.

Have up to date drivers correctly installed. ie. remove all traces of old ones first.

Password protect the drive to keep kids out as they love poking around in dodgy sites and social networks and downloading stuff unsuitable for the health of a computer.

If all else fails it is no big deal to format drive and install everything fresh.

Not sure if any of that helps but it can't do any harm.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

^^ great tips. Must do for stable gaming.