Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
and people DO swim the channel, dont they

plus BoB takes place in summer, so good weather for a swim
I assume you aren't serious?

The quickest Channel crossing by a swimmer prior to WWII was by Gertrude Ederle, in 1926. She took 14 hours and 39 minutes. A little boring, I'd have thought...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Ederle
Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Approved Member

i'd like to see movable cattle and horses in certain fields at some point, and them scattering when we buzz them (for ex during takeoff and landings in nearby fields). having some basic interaction with objects like that (triggers) really adds to immersion and increasing the illusion the world you fly in is alive..

when i previously asked oleg about this, his answers was something like "not at the moment" (no animated animals, just static entities). but lets hope buzzing bicycles or cars now produces some "smart" interaction, you should be able to buzz them into the ditch with a low passover
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
I assume you aren't serious?

The quickest Channel crossing by a swimmer prior to WWII was by Gertrude Ederle, in 1926. She took 14 hours and 39 minutes. A little boring, I'd have thought...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Ederle

Also back in the 40's finding a large amount of Goose fat to cover yourself in would be tricky for an escapee to say the least
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
that might well be the way we get it in BoB at first because of priorities leading up to release, but as previous posts from oleg have indicated he has a fully articulated figure of the pilot that can be controlled from a 1e person perspective and interact with objects (open doors, climb in/out of planes, drive vehicles, control AA guns or different crew positions for guns in vehicles/planes)
Link? Proof?
As far as we know it's confirmed to be controllable ground objects in form of AA guns and equivalent objects, nothing else atm. The engine might support it but there is NO indication that it will be included in SoW at all.
Besides it would probably be a rather jagged experience, the game is designed to be a flight sim not a first person shooter or walking experience, and yet again just because the engine supports it doesn't mean its gonna be an ideal experience.

What possible immersion could you get of trying replicated the experience after you've bailed and landed seriously? Life simulator?
Oleg is already committing an ridiculous amount of effort and passion into making the aircrafts, aerodynamics, damage-model etc as accurate and realistic as possible.

Last edited by virre89; 04-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virre89 View Post
Link? Poof?.
you are in the wrong forum for that, no poof's here. if you are in the process of timidly stepping out of the closet and need poof links, use google to find your new bbf

Quote:
As far as we know it's confirmed to be controllable ground objects in form of AA guns and equivalent objects, nothing else atm. The engine might support it but there is NO indication that it will be included in SoW at all.
thankfully you'r completely wrong, and again on another topic are showing you dont know what you are talking about. neither do you seem to make a basic effort to inform yourself better and get up to date on what EXTENSIVE information has already been provided on this before you start babbling on as if you know everything in the universe. its maybe typical behavior for a teenager and your stage of devellopment, but your making yourself look like a fool here, and no yapping on and on repeating the same nonsense wont change that.

Quote:
Besides it would probably be a rather jagged experience, the game is designed to be a flight sim not a first person shooter or walking experience, and yet again just because the engine supports it doesn't mean its gonna be an ideal experience..
happy to report that yet again you are wrong, o so wrong. you just go away and play with your tonka trucks and we'll start using the next gen flightsim world that is being created by oleg once it gets released, bon voyage !

Quote:
What possible immersion could you get of trying replicated the experience after you've bailed and landed seriously? Life simulator?
jeez, gosh, what could it all mean ? life must be bewildering to you, and in your little bleak mental world it must be rather dull and boring.

the good news is that for the rest of us, and all you need to do is read the extended snips of news and information oleg has given here and on other forums/articles/interviews over the months/years (none of which you seem to be familiar with) , is that oleg in his revamped work for BoB in the last few years has built an entirely new level simulation world into the sim engine right from the start, still with aircraft as it primary focus (it is a flightsim after all), but with a whole immersive world around it that you can interact with, and this will be gradually expanded on.

that includes
- a 24/7 dynamic server with an unfolding scenario we can interact with (several versions even, partially scripted historical series of missions for ex, and a fully dynamic "anything you do affects the outcome" type where the german side could win BoB). you'd be able to join a dynamic 24/7 server like that at anytime (confirmed) and either get a tasked mission list to choose from (like falcon 4 servers), or "free fly" from various airfields you select.
- ai activity at airfields with ambulances, fire trucks, even an ai routine for buses/trucks/cars on roads (some london double decker buses initially, but probably some additional traffic on roads). ability to refuel and rearm aircraft at airfields, so in theory you could presumably fly around for days at a time with the same aircraft.
- different crew positions you can select in the same aicraft (takeover from the pilot if he gets killed etc). even be able to select another ai aircraft to takeover as a pilot (so that if you get killed on a long coop server mission, you dont need to wait 2 hrs for the net game to rejoin.
- ground vehicles you can drive, probably at least one included from the start (depends on deadline issues, but that was/is still oleg's aim to include from his latest statements ), but if not will be added soon thereafter (and feature built into the engine from the start). several people are already making new vehicle models for this (with complete 3D cabin), like foobar with the volkswagen and a frenchman with his citroen. the vehicles will have doors etc that open and close (to get in and out etc), moving peddles and steering wheel, working mirrors etc (just like aircraft, but i suspect detail level for vehicles one notch below the aircraft, similar to the current ships prob).
- looks like you will be able to load trucks and trains with specific cargo and objects to (my hope is this will be integrated into the dynamic campaign and restricting or damaging trains/trucks with supplies to the frontline and airfields will interfere with their fighting ability). oleg even posted pics of individual munitions for AA guns etc, presumably when you blow up some of those boxes near an AA gun it will reduce its ability to fire that type of munition even.
- damaging hangers and other supplies at an airfield will reduce its supply of fuel and ammunition for aircraft there, and the availability of aircraft themselves if they are damaged/destroyed
- integrated multiple components of the air defense system, like radar, but also spot lights of AA batteries (damaging one element in the group affects the overall performance etc..)
- ability to control and fire guns in tanks (and other ground fighting vehicles). this is probable next step after the first cars have been made available, but opening up a whole other dimension to the sim. one aspect of this is controlling some AA guns at airfields right from the start
- the "pilot" will be an articulated 3D character that can control various objects and vehicles/planes/guns etc. (for example at an airfield be able to run to an AA gun, or run/walk to a different aircraft to fly). no idea to which extent this will be provided from the start, but the recent video of the pilot climbing in/out of the aircraft should give you some clue's they have achieved this.
- ability to control some smaller ships, oleg already stated he hoped to have some included from the start ( like torpedo boats iirc, or maybe just able to rescue downed pilots in the water ?), if not soon thereafter. the naval aspect of the sim is another aspect he plans to expand on to, and will allow 3e parties to work on further very quickly
- aircraft (? and pilots) will have a "history" attached to them, where damage/wear-and-tear etc is kept a record of, affecting aircraft performance over multiple missions (? and pilots performance if fatigued or injured etc)
- water is 3 dimensional and has depth (presumably can add submarines, submersed object etc)

presumably oleg is working towards an integrated air/land/sea sim, where as a flightsim you can have some control over the other elements (ground/sea)

and no, none of that means a flightsim gets turned into a 1e person shooter, but yes, he does aim to provide a whole new immersible world where you can interact with other objects like ships/trucks/tanks/cars (large sections will be left to 3e parties to put the effort to develop further, with oleg providing the initial elements)

so for a bailed pilot after landing to take control of a vehicle (or walk if you are really really patient) and make it back to base in BoB isnt that far fetched (be this in real time, or accelerated time). will oleg be able to get that much included from the start, no idea, hence this threads topic and question to him, hoping he'd give a glimps of how far he got with it.

Quote:
Oleg is already committing an ridiculous amount of effort and passion into making the aircrafts, aerodynamics, damage-model etc as accurate and realistic as possible.
its nice to know you care ! now go and read some of the extensive information oleg has already provided on this over the years (including in this forums threads which you could easily read if you weren't that lazy), on what will make his sim so different and nextgen compared to other standalone product. then maybe come back afterward and nicely ask some of the grown ups here (who have kept up to date on developments) for further information and they might just answer. sadly, i suspect your caught in an age related mental feedback loop where you perpetually believe only you can ever be right even if you know very little about the subject, and you'll just keep blabbering nonsense on and on, while sadly being completely unaware of what is actually is being created
Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Approved Member

I would like the 'walking home to base idea' if it includes the 'hiding-under-the-haystack-in-the-barn-avoiding-the-Gestapo-only-to-be-discovered-by-the-18yo-mademoiselle-as-she-was-going-to-milk-the-cow' option.....

(Assuming I was an Allied pilot on the Continent, of course).

Last edited by _RAAF_Stupot; 04-13-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Approved Member

So Zapatista's response to an obvious typo is not to provide the links requested, but to come out with a stream of personal insults in his usual ungrammatical style.

Time to stop feeding the troll.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
So Zapatista's response to an obvious typo is not to provide the links requested
and the lazy response from AndyJWest is to not even bother reading the previous posts in this forum by oleg (in addition to what he has said in his main interviews about BoB), which already addresses most of those same points in detail with direct answers by oleg himself (as most of the longer term users of this forum already know)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

Zapatista placed on ignore list...
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Approved Member

my my, this was hard to find 60 sec with google to be exact, i must be some kind of genius, or is it that that you are, well, lets just say a little slow and leave it at that

(email update on devellopment from oleg to simhq admin, in 2009)

Quote:
Email from Oleg today...

"We did a special test of the driver's cab for one of the cars in our flight sim.
Probably it will be released together with the separate tools for third party developers as a sample 'how to make drivable cars'".

foobar's Kübelwagen (interior/exterior model )

Quote:
....a "cockpit" for the GLG4500 fire truck will be very hard to make because of lack of proper interior references. But you know that I already have a finished VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen interior/exterior model wink Would be nice to get by Kübelwagen driving over the air base to your plane biggrin
(quote from foobar the railway modeler in the same thread at simhq)

i must be some kind of genius, somebody stop me, i cant help myself

all joking aside, i am confident most long term forum'ites here will have been well aware of this side of development for BoB, and yes there are lots of snips and comments from oleg over the years (even in this very forum) that give information on the same elements, you'r just to lazy to make a minimal effort to inform yourself

Last edited by zapatista; 04-13-2010 at 12:12 PM.