Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushMeister View Post
I'm a concept artist and illustrator
LOL.
I knew it.
The die hard Mac users, from what I heard they are/always were first choice for this purpose.

I'm going to send your "Mac user's wet dream" to a few friends(mac fans of course) - I wonder what their reactions will be.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
Macs are better for everything else, their operating system and software is head and shoulders above a PC.
Thats because MACs don't have to worry about ensuring other pieces of hardware work when they're pluged in.

Apple just has to worry about Apple hardware. Great for stability, bad for freedom of choice.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
The PC's are better for games, but only because the games were written for them.

Macs are better for everything else, their operating system and software is head and shoulders above a PC. Take Video editing for example, Final Cut Pro will run well on Macs with slower Intel CPU's, and give much better performance than a Windows editing program on a PC with a faster CPU.

Mac: No crashes, no operating system bugs, no online viruses, no problems.

They are too expensive though.
Actually your just stating your opinion. Opinion isnt fact. Comparing Final Cut to windows editing is an apples to oranges comparison and cant even be considerd seriously. Thats the same as saying win7 plays CloD better than os x. Duh. Everything you claim as better is just your opinion and until you can actually produce some real world benchmarks you just blowing smoke out an orifice.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
Thats because MACs don't have to worry about ensuring other pieces of hardware work when they're pluged in.

Apple just has to worry about Apple hardware. Great for stability, bad for freedom of choice.
Thats becasue macs are typically for computer illiterate people who dont know which end of a screwdriver is which.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

My, my aren't we lucky to be graced by so many enlightened souls.

I am literally dazzled by your profound insight and yet amazed to witness Redmond Fanboys. - I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel...

Still, to be serious for a mo, I've always found productivity to be more important than a competition to see who can p**s the highest !

Bear in mind that this was a question about the merits of xp x86 vs win7 x64 and DX9 vs DX10. Something which other visitors to the forum might find of use.

The stuff arrives tomorrow so the win7 hell ( I mean 'learning curve') can begin.

Cheers
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

For the life of me, I can't understand while people are threatened by Macs. People use them for different reasons, and run games as a second priority. It isn't cost effective to buy a Mac specifically as a game machine, but it is quite legitimate to want to run games on an intel Mac on the side.

Do let us know how the game runs on your Mac Pro. The word is that Mac pro's may get access to off the shelf video cards in the near future. You can run any card in pc mode, but you need a Mac card to run OSX.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
The word is that Mac pro's may get access to off the shelf video cards in the near future. You can run any card in pc mode, but you need a Mac card to run OSX.
That will happen when Steve Jobs dies..... which come to think of it may be sooner than we think
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbdski View Post
My, my aren't we lucky to be graced by so many enlightened souls.

I am literally dazzled by your profound insight and yet amazed to witness Redmond Fanboys. - I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel...

Still, to be serious for a mo, I've always found productivity to be more important than a competition to see who can p**s the highest !

Bear in mind that this was a question about the merits of xp x86 vs win7 x64 and DX9 vs DX10. Something which other visitors to the forum might find of use.

The stuff arrives tomorrow so the win7 hell ( I mean 'learning curve') can begin.

Cheers
I personally don't have anything against MAC/Apple at all. The very first computer I ever owned (not used) was an Apple IIc, I had many a great programming adventure on that thing. My parents berated me for spending so much ime in my room tapping on that keyboard.

But then I got the gaming bug, Blade Runner, Castle Wolfenstein (the text block version) ... it was all down hill from there

If there was as much development support for Apple / Linux in gaming as there is for PC's I'd be swapping in a heart beat. I recall some guys on the UBI forums getting IL-2 running on Ubuntu Linux, they reported a massive frame rate increase compared to Win. I'm pretty sure it was due to all the background crap Windows has running taking up resources. The trouble was their joysticks and TrackIR had no Linux support.

Last edited by Codex; 04-20-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbdski View Post
- I thought if you were so into tinkering under the hood you'd be running some custom Linux kernel...

Cheers
Well linux is as bad as mac for lack software probably worse. IF you want something stable, reliable, and has thousands of applications for everything available at a good price you get a PC. And Im sure your going to be able to handle win7 unless your not smarter than a fifth grader.
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Approved Member

Just for kicks I did a component price comparison:

$209.00 Intel Core i5 2400*
$105.00 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
$29.00 Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 Grey
$49.00 Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
$69.00 Antec New Solution VSK-2000 Case
$499.00 ASUS VE278Q 27 ASUS VE278Q 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
$139.00 HIS ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB
$149.00 Pioneer BDR-206 Blu-Ray Disc Writer OEM
$69.00 Antec Basiq 500W Plus Power Supply
$105.00 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
$69.00 ASRock H61M-VS Motherboard B3
$58.00 Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB DDR3

Total: $1549.00

27-inch iMac
2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Magic Mouse
Country Kit

Total: $2199.00

* Tried to match the iMac's CPU as best I could but I'd say the new socket 1155 i5 would kick the iMac's arse. My favourite supplier no longer stocks 1156 CPU

Last edited by Codex; 04-20-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread