Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

A little off topic, but I have no idea what regiment, or formation since I was told about it 40 years ago. I'm sure it is documented, I might find it if I ask to see some files but I doubt it. But from what I was told he did crash his plane into enemy posistions, destroying two tanks.

Like I said, it has been done. The Luftwaffe pilots would bail out before they crashed their plane into a target. So I see no reason why reenacting this in the game would be unfair.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Approved Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
A little off topic, but I have no idea what regiment, or formation since I was told about it 40 years ago. I'm sure it is documented, I might find it if I ask to see some files but I doubt it. But from what I was told he did crash his plane into enemy posistions, destroying two tanks.

Like I said, it has been done. The Luftwaffe pilots would bail out before they crashed their plane into a target. So I see no reason why reenacting this in the game would be unfair.
Yeah but people don't aim their plane at a target and then bail out. What they are doing is Kamikaze. I'd like to see you aim your plane and then bail out while still at a suvivable altitude and still hit the target.

One of more awesome moments in a strike game happened the other night. We were playing 4 or 5 Blenhiems against 6 german ships with 3 109 fighters. Limited ammo. Germans won if they didn't lose all their tickets, British won if we took all 300 german tickets. No bailing from undamaged planes or crashing on purpose. I few a blenheim and went for a level bombing at 13,000 ft , dropped my 2 500lb'ers and turned back to land at hawkinge. Just before I reached the coast BeaverCompany's 109 suprised me and shot up my wings and number 1 engine went out giving me 0% throttle before I was able to kill him with my rear gun. I glided all the way back to hawkinge losing 12000 ft in the process, and touched down succesfully right on the start of the runway at stalling speed. That felt really good. I can't remember how the game finished, it didn't matter.

I can tell you, giving yourself a challenge makes the game far more fun. If you get damaged over the enemy bunkers, try to get back over a imaginary front line. See how far you can get back, and know if you bailout under 1000ft your crew are going to break bones.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 11-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Approved Member

yes there are cases of pilots ramming in ww2,but as the thread states,its about fair play,and ramming isnt appreciated in this game.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

that is why i like a game where all the rules are known up front. and that mostly happens when you play with a select group of friends who share the same interest and opinion.

if i had an uncle that took out 2 tiger tanks with an unloaded ac...i would know the whole history about that...pictures, letters, anything i could find. but that is just me.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedog74 View Post
yes there are cases of pilots ramming in ww2,but as the thread states,its about fair play,and ramming isnt appreciated in this game.
But I just don't see why not. It would seem true to history at least.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

as long as others are playing the same rules...knock yourself out, man. just know it might not be tolerated across the board and in every game. something you may wish to talk about in the lobby prior to starting.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Approved Member

I'll look up a few millitary aviation handbooks if I remember. I'm sure, one will say "If out of ammunition and fuel, have all crew members but pilot eject, and then ram the target".

It is not unfair or dishonorable in any way if you ram the target.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Approved Member

You may be right my friend.The only 1 difference that Strikes my mind is that you'll live to tell.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Approved Member

I suppose I'll settle for that. But there are plenty of pilots out there, guess I'm just not used to the millitary of today that remembers people.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Approved Member

I must admit to playing darts in CTA sometimes.

You basically point your plane at someone on the runway and bail out at about 1000ft and see if you can get a bullseye before you respawn..