Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Approved Member

well i think it would be cool to have like a briefing room, then it might show some cutscene of you getting into ur plane, then it goes into the first-person view we all know and love, and ur crew is standing over top of you, explaining to u the condition of ur aircraft, helping you with your harness etc...

but as for bail out and walk home... well thats a bit too much... if ur on british side then u just land in water or a field with cows and farmers etc... if ur on german team, u just land in a field or over water too... and either way its either game over, or u end up back at ur base, so might as well just skip those hours it takes to get to where ur going and just get into the next game, right?

Last edited by AKA_Tenn; 04-11-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Approved Member

bananazoo?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Tenn View Post
well i think it would be cool to have like a briefing room, then it might show some cutscene of you getting into ur plane, then it goes into the first-person view we all know and love, and ur crew is standing over top of you, explaining to u the condition of ur aircraft, helping you with your harness etc...
that might well be the way we get it in BoB at first because of priorities leading up to release, but as previous posts from oleg have indicated he has a fully articulated figure of the pilot that can be controlled from a 1e person perspective and interact with objects (open doors, climb in/out of planes, drive vehicles, control AA guns or different crew positions for guns in vehicles/planes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Tenn View Post
but as for bail out and walk home... well thats a bit too much....... and either way its either game over, or u end up back at ur base, so might as well just skip those hours it takes to get to where ur going and just get into the next game, right?
nobody is talking about imposing on everybody to physically navigate/move his ejected pilot back to home base in real time. the way i see it is more a matter of having elements built into the sim from the start that can then be combined into more complex actions which add realism (and oleg has most of those elements already built into the new sim). for ex, ejected pilot lands in friendly field,

scenario 1: pilot walks to nearest road. then shortly after car/bus/truck drives by, vehicle stops, short animation/video of your pilot getting in, scene fades. next scene your pilot arrives back at home base for mission debriefing, and choosing next plane or mission. in that scenario your pilot will keep his name, rank, behavior record and home base location

scenario 2: when pilot lands in field (or even while still in parachute descending), player hits refly. then selects new base/mission/plane to fly, but in that case it is not very realistic to keep the player's name, history and record, it should be a new pilot. after 1 or 2 hrs, maybe even days (depending on location the pilot landed), the original pilot might again be available on the roster board (unless he got killed or captured)

oleg already added "managing your plane", where individual planes will keep a history of engine use and abuse, damage, stresses and repairs, so why not add further elements to the pilots history and events ? most of the needed elements are already built in from the start, its a matter of combining some of these and it will significantly increase realism and immersion (for the non-airquake players). gamers that dont like/want them simply do not have to use them and can keep the current perfect health pilots that instantly can teletransport to a brand new plane at any airbase location at any time, there just should be less continuity of pilot history in that case

Last edited by zapatista; 04-11-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
...previous posts from oleg have indicated he has a fully articulated figure of the pilot that can be controlled from a 1e person perspective and interact with objects (open doors, climb in/out of planes, drive vehicles, control AA guns or different crew positions for guns in vehicles/planes)
Can we have a link to these posts, please...
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo kyu View Post
No, that game is already for sale.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Down-B...0920572&sr=1-3

There's no flying in it, I think you start from landing from a bailout, it didn't interest me because there's no flying.

Eeeeh, whats the Screaming Eagle emblem doing on a pilots jacket?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Approved Member

I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but there was someone who posted earlier that it was attempted by at least one luftwaffe pilot to steal a plane to escape. Chuck Yeager, after being shotdown over enemy territory, hid for several weeks before stealing a FW-190 to escape to friendly territory. I'd highly recommend his autobiography.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Approved Member

Actually it was Bob Hoover, wingmann of Chuck yeager, who stole the Fw190 and escaped to the Netherlands after the escape from a prison camp.
There was only 1(one) german pilot who escaped a few times from a prisoncamp in england and was transfered to canada because of that, where he escaped again and reurned to germany to fight again. That was Franz von Werra (The One That Got Away), he almost managed to steal a prototype Hurricane, he was arrested while starting the engine.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
I'd be interested to see how Luftwaffe pilots walk home after coming down in Kent!
He uses his sidearm!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Approved Member

and people DO swim the channel, dont they

plus BoB takes place in summer, so good weather for a swim
Old 04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
and people DO swim the channel, dont they

plus BoB takes place in summer, so good weather for a swim
And the fall... the Italian's launched their attacks much later on.

I hope if they do this they model some proper sharks for the Pacific. We already have the seagulls.